Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the past couple months now my bike has been getting rather picky about staying in 3rd gear. It wasn't 'that' bad, but it has been getting progressively worse, so finally had to tear into it and get it all fixed up. Got all the parts I needed to fix it, and had a little time since we're not riding this weekend (going to the GNCC races again this weekend!), so decided it would be a good time to tear it apart

Went pretty quick.... I rode it to work yesterday, rode home (carried all the tools I'd need in a backpack and tankbag), got home a little after 6pm, got started on it about 6:30 or so, and it was out and ready to go by 8:30. Not too bad.... coolant was still steaming when I drained it and motor was still warm when I loaded it into the back of my car, LOL. The little A-frame idea worked like a champ! Hard to see in the pic but the whole bike is actually hanging in the air. I'm not gonna lie though, I really do wish I had a cassette style transmission that didn't require pulling the motor out to do this, lol

Took it into work with me this morning to tear it down. Boy was she dirty outside... the rural roads I ride on around here are so much dirtier than other places I used to live. Had to do some scrubbing on the outside for sure. The valve cover gasket was also leaking a little bit too so that didn't help any (it's original.... got a new one)

Inside though... nice and clean. Oil still nice and clean too for having almost 6k miles on it

Reactions: sheel

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Original clutch still hanging in there and looking good (256,138 miles)

Once again..... squeeaaaakkky clean inside, always makes me happy to see. Regular oil changes FTW!

Bottom end looks brand new

And here would be my problem..... gear dogs on 3rd rounded off, and of course 6th too since it meshes with 3rd

And got the shift fork a lil bit too

Got the new gears put in and trans back together.... guess I have my work cut out for me monday when I go back, haha. Then I've gotta do a valve adjustment as well.... fun fun. Should have her back together and running again this next week sometime and back to our usual weekend rides next weekend

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I've got mine 1/2 ripped apart too, not as far as yours, but clutch case, one of the cams, etc....

Funny pic time - Here's how it's done:

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got mine 1/2 ripped apart too, not as far as yours, but clutch case, one of the cams, etc....

Funny pic time - Here's how it's done:

Hahahah nice!! LOL

Anyways, still don't have it back together just yet, but just cuz I'm waiting on a few gaskets and o-rings that I had forgot to order beforehand (or didn't know I'd need). Had to get a valve cover gasket (was still original.... found leaking just a little bit), o-rings for the oil pick-up and pressure relief valve, and the o-rings that go around the spark plug holes on the bottom side of the camshaft hold down plate. Hopefully they'll be in early this week and I can get it all back together. Other than that everything else is done... trans is fixed and cases back together, valve adjustment done, just waiting on the gaskets and I'll be set

Anyways, a few more pics....

Original clutch still measures well in spec (2.4mm)

Top end like brand new.... literally looks like zero wear on the cam lobes, journals, thrust bearing, etc

Certainly can't complain.... Rotella T6 has done me well!

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Great pics! Everything inside the cases is a mystery to me. Can you elaborate on the shift fork pic, what is indicating that it is bent? And if you haven't put it together yet, what do dogs on new gears look like? Lastly, why would 3-6 be the gears to go bad? I thought it was the 1-2 shift that incurred the most wear mstly to 2nd?

Tx for the thread.

KeS

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great pics! Everything inside the cases is a mystery to me. Can you elaborate on the shift fork pic, what is indicating that it is bent? And if you haven't put it together yet, what do dogs on new gears look like? Lastly, why would 3-6 be the gears to go bad? I thought it was the 1-2 shift that incurred the most wear mstly to 2nd?

Tx for the thread.

KeS
The shift fork wasn't necessarily bent (they can, but this one wasn't), it's just from the gear itself bouncing in and out of engagement really fast multiple times, it bangs against the shift fork and causes excessive wear, which is the rub marks you see on the side there. I forgot to take any pics of the new gears, but the gear dogs should be a nice square cut all the way out to the edges, instead of rounded off on the edge as in the pic of my old ones. I really don't know why it's been 3rd gear both times, most bikes it usually is 2nd gear that gives this problem, but I've never had any probs with 2nd, just 3rd both times.... kinda got me baffled too, lol. Only thing I can think of is maybe just by design, possibly the shift drum just doesn't engage the slider gear as far into 3rd as it does into 2nd or something like that... who knows

And if you're wondering about 6th gear..... these transmissions will use various gears completely unrelated to the gear you're actually in, to engage or disengage that gear. 6th gear is splined to the countershaft, and is the slider gear (black larger gear in the pics) for both 2nd and 3rd, which are both freespinning gears on the countershaft. When 6th slides over and locks into either gear, it locks that gear to the countershaft as well, which engages that gear in the powerflow. It does it that way for all the gears, it'll lock/unlock certain gears from the mainshaft and countershaft to engage/disengage that gear. It's really hard to explain typing and that probably made no sense at all, but if you see it in person it's actually extremely simple, lol

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
The shift fork wasn't necessarily bent (they can, but this one wasn't), it's just from the gear itself bouncing in and out of engagement really fast multiple times, it bangs against the shift fork and causes excessive wear, which is the rub marks you see on the side there. I forgot to take any pics of the new gears, but the gear dogs should be a nice square cut all the way out to the edges, instead of rounded off on the edge as in the pic of my old ones. I really don't know why it's been 3rd gear both times, most bikes it usually is 2nd gear that gives this problem, but I've never had any probs with 2nd, just 3rd both times.... kinda got me baffled too, lol. Only thing I can think of is maybe just by design, possibly the shift drum just doesn't engage the slider gear as far into 3rd as it does into 2nd or something like that... who knows

And if you're wondering about 6th gear..... these transmissions will use various gears completely unrelated to the gear you're actually in, to engage or disengage that gear. 6th gear is splined to the countershaft, and is the slider gear (black larger gear in the pics) for both 2nd and 3rd, which are both freespinning gears on the countershaft. When 6th slides over and locks into either gear, it locks that gear to the countershaft as well, which engages that gear in the powerflow. It does it that way for all the gears, it'll lock/unlock certain gears from the mainshaft and countershaft to engage/disengage that gear. It's really hard to explain typing and that probably made no sense at all, but if you see it in person it's actually extremely simple, lol
Wtf?? In English? Haha I appreciate the pics its cool to see the internals of these machines. I found my mechanical limits checking the valve clearance on my triple.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
is it strange that everything thirdgen posted made sense to me, but I honestly couldn't get that far into an engine and ever have it run again?

hehe

Also, if you want to spot the wear on the gear dogs, check out the close up of the 3rd and 6th gear, and look where they mesh together. that edge on the "gold" coloured 3rd gear is, well, no longer very good.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little update..... all finished! I didn't want it to take as long as it did, but just as luck would have it, soon as I get it apart it gets crazy busy at work and I have no time to work on it, and then on top of that I had to do a side job on my buddies R6 (valves all out of whack), and then some work on his trailer too. So mine had to kinda take a back burner for a bit as he was kind of in a pickle with a trackday scheduled soon and needed his bike. But was finally able to get her all finished up and back home.... ready to go in

Started saturday and got the engine hung back in the frame

Had to start her up and make sure all was well..... sounded good, so filled up the cooling system and bleeding the air out here

Finished putting plastics back on and gave her a good wipe down to get all my nasty greasy fingerprints off

Aaaaand.... ride time!! Just a quick jaunt down my road and back. The audio is messed up on my GoPro right now (trying to figure out if/how to fix that), so that's why all the wind noise (that's in the solid waterproof case). But you can kinda hear it.... running and shifting beautifully! Sooooo nice not jumping out of 3rd anymore, god that was freakin' annoying, haha

Now back to our regular weekend shenanigans :)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
if I am ever in NC, you are getting my bike for a teardown and overhaul.

will pay.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I keep reading the title of the thread as "sugary time", and thinking it'll be a risky click.

But yeah, your motorcycle DIY-ability is freaking impressive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was pitted next to him at Jennings last year. I think this bike has the record of having the most miles on it on the track. On an original clutch no less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts