Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question for all experienced riders. Is it ok for me to put 125/80-17 in front and 190/55-17 in rear for my '08 600RR. Any advantages or disadvantages for normal street riding? Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Question for all experienced riders. Is it ok for me to put 190/55-17 in front and 190/55-17 in rear for my '08 600RR. Any advantages or disadvantages for normal street riding? Thanks!
I'm hoping you meant a 120 on the front. The biggest issue with putting a 190 on the front is that it simply wouldn't fit. Then after that there's the turning issues and the height issues if by some chance you could squeeze a 190 in the space where a 120 goes without changing the entire front end. Edit: just saw that you meant 125 not 190 front...to which I agree that not many manufacturers even make a notable tire in that size

As far as the 190 on the rear it would fit but the tires profile would be changed due to wheel being sized for a small tire width. Essentially that means a portion of the tires width(portion that forms the contact patch zones aka the treaded portion of the tire) becomes apart of the tires profile(sidewall/non-treaded portion). That does a few things Tha you probably wouldn't want to happen 1. Reduces the useable amount of tire(pretty much the only advantage to the b***** tire size) 2. The lip that separates the treaded tire to the tires profile is moved down the profile. 3. Seeing as how you added to the tires profile essentially making the tire taller, you may have created some clearance issues at the swing arm. All these things contributes to a range of problems ranging from increased heat wear to unstable leaning to rubbing to name a few! With that said most of the disadvantages would probably go unnoticed on the street depending on how you ride on the street!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
You'll probably be ok, but there is no valid reason. They typically cost more as well. I'd just stick with the 120/180 combo recommended in a sport touring tire compound. You should get 10k miles out of Michelin pilot road 2 or road 3. More than enough grip for anything on the street you would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Thanks arcticamt6! I do have a valid reason. Wider tyres look better don't you agree?
Ill bite, you won't have a wider looking tire if you're still squeezing it onto a 180 rim, it will be taller. Get a wider rim and swingarm and you get what you want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: turbotron

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Ok in the sense that they will fit properly and achieve the "wide tires" look.
First off, you won't get a lot of support on this forum about the wide tires look. Most here don't do stuff like that and don't like seeing people do that to these bikes.

Secondly, you may run into clearance issues since the swingarm and wheel are designed with 180's in mind.

That being said, if you are only doing 190's, you will probably be ok. It's not a huge increase, so it probably won't give you much of a visual improvement over the 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
Question for all experienced riders. Is it ok for me to put 125/80-17 in front and 190/55-17 in rear for my '08 600RR. Any advantages or disadvantages for normal street riding? Thanks!
nope. a 125/80-17 front may not even clear your fender. my advice is to stick with the stock sizes. i've never even heard of a 125 front for a sportbike.

disadvantage is finding a tire in that size (front, i mean. finding a 190 rear would be easy). ama uses 190 rears for racing, but they generally cost more than the 180 and do you no good unless you're riding in the front of the expert class. on the street it would just look like a slightly fatter tire...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
48 Posts
MotoGP2 bikes run these tire and rim specs. Thanks for all of your comments.
Are you sure the rim specs for a 1000cc motogp bike is the same as a 600 cc street bike!?! Not being positive myself I would venture to assume that motogp rims are a lil wider than you cbr rims! Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: oh I see what you did there MOTOGP(2) kinda threw me off! I'll research their tire specs and rim specs
Sent from my iPhone25S(27ft by2.5in screen)

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
it was my understanding that motogp runs a 16.5" wheel. they aren't due to change for another year or two, right?

that also means you can find race slicks in that size fairly easily, but nothing with a tread on it...

s3aturnr

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Absolutely zero advantage to running a b***** tire for street riding. Do it for looks and you'll be the only one that even notices... then get used to it in no time and then the only conceivable advantage will be gone.

Disadvantages would be price, weight, and possibly tire dimensions which you MIGHT be able to get away with, or you might run into clearance and handling issues. And for you straight line junkies, heaver tires also = slower bike.

My advice to newer riders: Don't fuck around with odd tire sizes that haven't been tried & tested.

Who even makes a 125/80/17 front tire? Get GOOD quality sport oriented tires. That's a lot more "impressive" to me than running oddball sizes trying to look good.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
He is going for the wide tire look...

I think he was confused when he got the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts