Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Pictures to follow...]

Well, I installed the two brothers pipes on the bike this afternoon. I'm sorry, but in my excitement, I rushed to install them and I went for a ride right after, and now it's dark, so pictures will have to wait until the next sunny day.

Installation:

Went mostly smoothly, perhaps partly due to the fact that I had already disassembled much of the rear end previously to get the FAZR6 kit on the bike. Thankfully, as was pointed out in another thread earlier, the two brothers pipes work just fine with the FAZR6 FE, so I did not remove it. I used a hacksaw to simply hack the license plate/turn signals bracket off and tossed it away. It doesn't even leave provision for a license plate light (that I saw, I admit I didn't really even look at it before I started cutting). If this is the case, I'm sure I'd be getting pulled over in this city.

The hardest part of the installation was tightening the cans to the Y-Pipe after putting them on the bike (as per instructions to make sure they're aligned properly) There was at least one screw (of four) on each of the cans that was pretty damned hard to tighten correctly so I just tightened the ones I could as best I could and decided 3 out of 4 aint bad, and it's threadlocked anyway. I would have liked to see a better coupling to the cans though (it didn't call for any sealant or anything, kind of weird?).

I was happy to see that I had the option to leave all of the two brothers badging off my bike, and I did. I might put the stickers on my barren ugly swingarm, but I haven't decided yet. I do like the clean look of the pipes, exactly what I was wishing for in the past.

Starting the bike for the first time:

The neighborhood kids were out playing at my neighbors house, they were, of course, bugging the hell out of me the entire time I was trying to work as usual. When I finished and fired the bike up, a few of them jumped. I let the bike warm up then I gave it a bunch of gas and all the little boys had huge glowing smiles on their faces along with my own. They sure learn young what a good sound is, huh?

I asked the kids if they liked how the bike sounded now, all the boys screamed "YEAH!" and the little girl that was with them said "NO! It's scary!" That was enough to sell me on the acoustical nature of the pipes. Kids are brutally honest, after all.

Going for a ride:

Everything pretty much seemed exactly as it did before when riding, I didn't notice having to give it any more gas than usual as I read on someone elses post whom I forget (sorry), the bike performed just fine. Perhaps on the big bumps the rear end jumped a bit more than it did before thanks to shaving all that weight off the rear ... that muffler weighs a ton! I have to say that it felt like I was on a rear bike, as opposed to an electric hybrid segway inspired motorcycle. I noticed that I got a lot more attention from people on the sidewalks as I went by them, they looked at me well before I even got close to them.

Little things that bothered me a bit:

The only thing that I can think of that bothers me is when decelerating, the bike does backfire once in a while now. At first this was kind of alarming, but as my ride went on, I kind of grew to like it... again, it takes away from the electric illusion. I don't really think there's any reason I should be concerned about it. Upon first starting idle was a little bit rough but it smoothed right out after a little while/got going. I figure it was just the ECU relearning it's map, or however it deals with changes in the system. I wonder if disconnecting the battery would help with the backfiring, forcing the ECU to completely reset. I know it sure causes the FI on my cage to go through hell trying to figure my driving style out again.

So yes, this thread is worthless without pics, but be patient they're coming.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. At least until the 11th of next month when my statement comes. :p

·
Registered
944 Posts
Awsome. Very glad to hear another pleased owner. Mine should be here any day :banana

Hows the loadness factor at speed?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I originally thought that maybe they weren't that loud at speed, but when I got back my ears were ringing and I had a headache, and I never had that phenomena before the new pipes so they must be pretty darn loud. Time to use my earphones more. :)

I noticed the loudness most when I was putting through a residential area at 10 PM, that I ended up in by accident when I got lost... I kind of felt bad for those I was probably disturbing but smiling anyway.

Did anybody putting these pipes on use any kind of sealant between the y pipe and the cans or just followt he instructions and screw onto the "X-lite" thing and be done with it? It seems to be fine, but it just seemed odd.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Why do you feel the cans don't seal to the Y sufficiently? I had mine good and tight and it's as good as any other system I've seen (if not better). Plus, on that exhaust, the path of least resistance is straight through (those cannons :) )

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no reason to feel that way, it's just instinct. I get plenty of flow out of the cans so I'm sure it's fine. Still bothers me a bit that the way the instructions say to tighten the cans to the ypipe after fitting on the bike made it extremely difficult to tighten the bolts on the top inside properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts