Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which book should I read?

Ive made it past one season and my goal for this season is to become a better rider. Ive heard that the 2nd is better suited for road and 1st for track. If that is correct I just go buy Twist of the Wrist 2

·
Registered
268 Posts
I haven't finished the second one, but, most will say that if you read either, read #2 first.

It will make you a better rider if you read it, and put some thought into your riding.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Wei said:
Which book should I read?

Ive made it past one season and my goal for this season is to become a better rider. Ive heard that the 2nd is better suited for road and 1st for track. If that is correct I just go buy Twist of the Wrist 2
Yep, Twist 2 is better for street riding. Twist 1 is more track oriented.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
I wonder how many of you guys have actually read both books. I have and BOTH are very track oriented. Twist 1 is older but everything still applies to today's motorcycling. I say get both books and read them, and go to a track day and apply what you read. Believe me, it works.

·
Registered
820 Posts
TTsixxer said:
I wonder how many of you guys have actually read both books. I have and BOTH are very track oriented. Twist 1 is older but everything still applies to today's motorcycling. I say get both books and read them, and go to a track day and apply what you read. Believe me, it works.
I own and have read both. As a newer rider, I thought 2 had more I could initially apply early in my motorcycle riding skill development. Also I thought 1 had a few more things in it that could only be applied to the track. I do agree both have much valuable info that can be applied in both venues.

·
Banned
256 Posts
Did they ever make a twist of the wrist 2 on dvd or is it just the first one? I have the first one on dvd but woudln't mind getting the 2nd one too if it was available.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
I have both. Yes, read #2 first. It is more of an intoductory book to motorcycling that does have some things you could use in track or canyon carving situations. TOTW 1 is very much track oriented. A lot of it will not really apply to street riding. Bhe basic concepts of counter-steering, braking and throttle control may, but all of that is covered in #2.

I think Ive read #2 2 or 3 times, and Im on my 4th or 5th time reading #1 and I just keep reading another chapter every night. I always pick up on something new every time I read it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought #2, never looked at #1.

There's a lot of technical talk that loses me sometimes.... and I HATE the goddamn astericks (*) at the end of every other word.

If you don't know what the marked (*) words mean, you shouldn't be reading the book.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Personally, I would recommend Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch over the Twist of the Wrist books. I have read both TWOT I and II, and found them extremely frustrating to read. I subsequently only read them once.

Sport Riding Techniques is a hundred times better written and about 20 years newer, and it contains a lot of good information. It even has a chapter discussing riding "The Pace," which is how I generally ride. I have reread parts of it and the whole book a couple of times, especially to refresh my memory at the start of the riding season.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
SlowCBR said:
Personally, I would recommend Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch over the Twist of the Wrist books.

Sport Riding Techniques is a hundred times better written and about 20 years newer,

Thats what I was going to say. Just skip past TOTW and go for a better book. I took a class from Ienatsch 11 years ago and he know how to communicate far better than Code.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just finished Total Control by Lee Parks, very easy to read. It was a pretty good book, and would be very good for beginners. My only complaint is that he spent too much time on set up and not enough on riding. I plan on reading the other, but since I haven' so far I can't really compare. Although, I do think it would be a very good choice for a less experienced rider.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Is the Total Control and Sport Rider Techniques available at most book stores? I see that they are both on amazon.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I go to Borders all the time when I'm bored. I have a short attention spand so anyone that knows me finds it hard to believe that I go there. Obviously, I just go to LOOK at the magazines. Sometimes I try to force myself into the section where books have more words than pictures and when that happens, I try to read Twist of the Wrist. I don't get very far. Sport Riding Techniques is definately easier to read and when I feel like dropping $20-30 I will probably pick that up and try to read more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bpmull said:
I go to Borders all the time when I'm bored. I have a short attention spand so anyone that knows me finds it hard to believe that I go there. Obviously, I just go to LOOK at the magazines. Sometimes I try to force myself into the section where books have more words than pictures and when that happens, I try to read Twist of the Wrist. I don't get very far. Sport Riding Techniques is definately easier to read and when I feel like dropping $20-30 I will probably pick that up and try to read more.
Thats what I did today.. went to border and read a section out of TOTW. Its very easy to read and the print is so big that I think I will just go there and read it. I read the chapter on falling, about how important is it to stay relaxed. I thought the part about not knowning when you have stop skidding is pretty funny. Apparently most people dont know that they are still moving when they try to get up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't finished the second one, but, most will say that if you read either, read #2 first.

It will make you a better rider if you read it, and put some thought into your riding.
Both books are great to have and read, but the Twist II movie is good too - seeing video demonstration of the techniques is helpful and some of the CG animations are really instructive. It's available on Amazon Video now, if you don't want to have to wait for a DVD to arrive. Here's a link:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts