Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just relocated to Germany from Texas and took my US specified FZ6 with me. Having fun riding windy roads. One problem: I can't get a local registration with the position lights turned on while driving. No registration no insurance...
The German law says you can have only white lights in the front. Anybody have an idea on how to switch the position lights off?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Position lights? Do you mean the pod lights next to the head lights?

You could always wire in a switch, or just cut the wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the signal/position lights. The yellow turn lights are on as soon as you switch on ignition. They want them to be off and only operating when you signal a turn...

·
Registered
341 Posts
no clue.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Wood3018 said:
No, the signal/position lights. The yellow turn lights are on as soon as you switch on ignition. They want them to be off and only operating when you signal a turn...
That doesn't sound right at all. BUT, if that's the case, the front lights, I believe, have 3 wires. Fine the running light wire and disconnect it).

·
Registered
104 Posts
There should be three wires going to each turn signal. Ground, turn signal, and driving light. You'll have to test which one has power while the ignition is on and the turn signals are off. You will then have to disconnect that wire. Might be able to pull it out of the three wire connector (on the turnsignal side). This way you won't have to cut the wire.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Here's a better solution. Unplug the bulb and cut off the leads to the running light filament and just have the indicator leads to contact the light socket. This way, if you need the running lights back on, you can just replace the bulbs.

I think the euro bikes has the pod lights to separate the turn signal from the running light. So, you might be required to do the pod light modification also to get the US bike to their code.

·
Registered
123 Posts
on the underside of the bulb is 2 bumps of solder...put electrical tape over one then try it...if it doesnt work put the tape on the other one

·
Registered
702 Posts
if they want white/clear why dont you do the clear covers on them? or are you saying they allow headlights only?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
DJuanHouston said:
if they want white/clear why dont you do the clear covers on them? or are you saying they allow headlights only?
Euros have the pod lights as yellow running lights to have the front turn signals like the rear ones up front.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
ive got running light in the front, they are on at all times, thats how i bought it, and its legal. they get brighter as the turnsignals go on(flashing) but they are on all the time.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
ive got running light in the front, they are on at all times, thats how i bought it, and its legal. they get brighter as the turnsignals go on(flashing) but they are on all the time.
US sold vehicles are legal in the US- He moved to Germany as he said with the bike he bought in the US. European code is different from the US which requires the running light to be separate from the turn signals.

·
Registered
858 Posts
CerebralAssassin said:
Just buy new bulbs. Replace the 7443 bulb with the 7440 bulb.
+1 was going to say couldn't you just replace the dual filament light with a single one :rolleyes at least that makes sense to me just never tried it yet since I have no need to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What ever you do the changes have to be made from a Yamaha dealer.

The TÜV (translated: Technical Observsation Group) will only except
changes made by a professional technician or they start to argue.

The best way is to contact a Yamaha dealer in the city in Germany.
Anyway, you can run with your US license plate for about 6 months
before our "Race Management" will start to bother you.

The change of the light might not be the only change you have to have and
a german dealer should know how to rebuild temporary/permanently
the bike.

CU

gerd

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Call me stupid, but isn't one filament switched and the other one is always on? How do you accomplish the switched function with just one filament?

Oh, I get it-- You'll have to bend the leads to be both on one side, and insert it on the right orientation to the socket. Ok, it can be done. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 7443 and 7440 are the same except for extra filament. The place I bought my 7443 LED bulbs only sell 7443. They say to cut the lead on the bulb if you need a 7440. +1 on the bulb replacement idea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts