Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i can;t understand the turn left on green here in L.A. Why? Well, you can never really turn because of all the fucking incoming traffic, then when it turns orange one or maybe two cars are able to turn...Why not the good old arrow...Specially in busy areas like hollywood, westwood, Santa Monica...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suppose you talking about intersections with only solid green. Here in florida we have left on green and at the busier intersections we have the solid green to go left when clear but also a green arrow which give a few cars time to turn when the light cycles.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Adding a protected left turn in L.A. would be a multi million dollar project that would take years to complete and seriously fuck up traffic in the mean time.

Why was it not originally built that way? Because the traffic and roads probably didn't warrant it.

P.S.. . A green arrow is a protected left.
A green signal and with no arrows is a permissive left.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding a protected left turn in L.A. would be a multi million dollar project that would take years to complete and seriously fuck up traffic in the mean time.

Why was it not originally built that way? Because the traffic and roads probably didn't warrant it.

True. They don;t need to put it everywhere but some major roads really need them. I see accidents all the time and not to mention the huge traffic jam that it causes.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
no, what they need to do is cycle the lights 1 direction at a time, for a period of time.

example:

Idlewyld and 22nd in saskatoon SK is a total bitch. always has been. few years back, rather than only add a protected left to each lane, they started running green in one direction rather than 2, and having the lights last roughly half as long. both roadways are provincial highways which run through town, and both are constantly full.

running that 1 direction rather than 2 is an efficient way to do it without the need for a protected left. everyone turns and goes one way, then they do it the other way, and then the other 2 directions.

dunno how badly it'd back up in the 3 directions that aren't going at once, but it'd keep the turn traffic flowing.
then again, they pay infrastructure engineers to think out this kind of thing.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
True. They don;t need to put it everywhere but some major roads really need them. I see accidents all the time and not to mention the huge traffic jam that it causes.
so i just googled mapped 'los angeles' and zoomed into the first large intersection i saw...

los angeles - Google Maps

edit, and since you mentioned Westwood (among others)

Westwood, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

LADOT

it seems that any busy looking intersection i zoom into has left turn arrows...

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
You clearly don't drive here everyday...
nope, never been to LA. you wrote this thread as if they didn't exist at all in LA, when in fact they do. then you say they should just be on busy intersections, not all. well, to me it looks like they are. if you have a problem, call your alderman and complain or whatever the first step into local gov't is in LA. remember that left turn arrows stop the major flow of traffic at an intersection, and may not always work best for everyone in whatever scenario you are in... or maybe they are and it's just an oversight by the DOT.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope, never been to LA. you wrote this thread as if they didn't exist at all in LA, when in fact they do. then you say they should just be on busy intersections, not all. well, to me it looks like they are. if you have a problem, call your alderman and complain or whatever the first step into local gov't is in LA. remember that left turn arrows stop the major flow of traffic at an intersection, and may not always work best for everyone in whatever scenario you are in... or maybe they are and it's just an oversight by the DOT.
You came here just to start shit up. there are hundreds of intersection like the ones you have posted but there also hundreds that don't have it. There are several intersection that i either drive daily or have driven on, that do not have a light for left turn and it creates a huge backup. My friend from Florida also found that very annoying here. The only other major city that i lived on is Chicago, but i never drove there so i can't recall what they use there. I was just wondering if what i see here in L.A is typical.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've never driven there either.... But my guess is that it's California..... Not many things make sense in California.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
142 Posts
Trust, trying to turn left in LA during peak hours is basically, just wait in the intersection until it turns red to go and hope nobody T-Bones you.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
That's completely valid. It happens. And pretty much it is what it is.

People used to ask me how I liked jersey driving when I first moved here and to be honest it really wasn't that big of a deal. Biggest issues were tolls and no left turns. Other wise driving in L.A. traffic was easily a comparable experiance.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
300 Posts
I miss LA. I miss the 3am rush hour traffic. Legend has it, two hours was all it took to get from San Diego to LA, now it takes all day. ♬♩ I miss the housing prices too. Quarter million dollars for four walls and a roof.

I moved to the Midwest. Google is too with their fiber. And that quarter million dollars...I live like a king with more room for my bike collection. There is also a law here in Kansas City that stipulates all traffic lights have a green left arrow.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Would it be faster to just make 3 right turns instead of trying to turn left?

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Lol that's how we roll in Jersey!

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Unless you are in West Plains, MO., where the geniuses at MODOT decided the solid green for a permissive left along with a sign on the signal saying Left Turn Yield On Green was too confusing for us hillfolk. Nevermind that it had been this way since traffic lights were installed here.

So they replaced the solid green for a permissive left with a flashing yellow arrow. :wtf They left the green arrow for protected left alone. Now left turns are a life and death experience especially when the tourists are rolling through. I believe this is a pilot program for the whole state. My sympathies to the poster from KC when it rolls out statewide.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Call the commissioner and complain. Start a change org petition.

Contact your local legislaters, make noise.

If its a pilot program and people complain it CAN get canned. We had a pilot program up here on a busy road to try to increase through put and it screwed the locals and caused such an uproar that the freeholders petitioned the state to end it early.

While they didn't end it early, the program kind of diedand nothing became of it.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Unless you are in West Plains, MO., where the geniuses at MODOT decided the solid green for a permissive left along with a sign on the signal saying Left Turn Yield On Green was too confusing for us hillfolk. Nevermind that it had been this way since traffic lights were installed here.

So they replaced the solid green for a permissive left with a flashing yellow arrow. :wtf They left the green arrow for protected left alone. Now left turns are a life and death experience especially when the tourists are rolling through. I believe this is a pilot program for the whole state. My sympathies to the poster from KC when it rolls out statewide.
We also have the flashing yellow arrow here in Wisconsin now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts