Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting behind a car at a stop light this afternoon at lunch and noticed that while I had my left blinker on, my front right signal would dim when the left one came on. The only thing I've changed electrically on the bike is wiring up the dual headlights. Could this be the problem? I don't really want to unhook the light because it's a pain in the a$$ to get back together.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Might wanna check/charge your battery. It's not supplying enough current to support all your lighting demand.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Check the grounds...my trailer tends to do what you have described when it sits for long periods...check the grounds

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Is it only the other turn signal that does it? I run with my brights on during the day, and my headlights dim slightly in time with the turn signals. I figure it's just the electrical demand temporarily exceeding supply while the bike's idling. It has been doing it for over a year, and I haven't had any battery problems yet.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best I could tell it was only the front running light. The headlight(s) looked fine.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Time to rehash this one.
I discoverd the same thing while sitting behind a pick-up.
I did not notice my head lights dimming, rather the right hand blinker/running light would dim as the left blinker was active.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
531 Posts
yeah switch to leds. draw alot less power

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
I have LEDs and they do the same thing. Problems like this can arise when one wire is used for the ground for both lights.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It dims a little But I'm hoping I'm not sure how the IDIOT in the cage will see it when he/she is on the other side of the intersection.

The only mod I've done to the lights is splicing in for the Dual Headlight.

I wonder if I can get the stealership to look at it?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
TX-Aggie said:
It dims a little But I'm hoping I'm not sure how the IDIOT in the cage will see it when he/she is on the other side of the intersection.
Mine does this too. I never worried about it as I have not had any charging issues and KillerNoodle is right about shared grounds.

They don't pay any attention to anything outside their vehicle. I doubt they will even notice it. Remember these are the same people who do not see a motorcycle with a headlight on, when they turn in front of you. Do you really think they will notice that faint dimming of the bulb?

·
Registered
478 Posts
If it only dims a little, I think you having nothing to worry about. It is only a small voltage drop resulting from part of your electrical current being diverted to the turn signal. All the bikes I ever rode had this to some degree. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would say this is ok. I have seen the same thing also on my bike but it is nothing that is really noticeable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts