Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noob to asphalt so I am trying to make sure I am not doing something wrong. At interstate speeds (fill in the blank) how much does the turbulence off trucks move you around? I know it is better when I am on the tank, but I like to ride a little more upright on longer hauls. Sure feels like I am getting knocked around, just wondering if it is normal.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I've gotten so used to it I don't really even notice it. But then again, I try not to stay by them or any other car for too long...too long being...two or three seconds?

·
Registered
558 Posts
yea it'll definitely knock u around.. how much is generally dependant upon the bike ur on.. regardless.. ur on a bike.. just accelerate past them..

·
Registered
304 Posts
It is completely normal, but for several reasons, it's not good to hang around big trucks. Stay well behind or move out and past quickly.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
being as Im only 110 lbs and trying to control a 390 lbs bike( +- 30 lbs depending which one Im on) I get my ass kicked around by Semis daily. I personally stay WAY clear of um. I dont like um, but not much I can do to avoid um, except pass um as fast and safetly as I can. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
try to stay on the far side of your lane and accelerate past them. sometimes its seems that if you and the truck are moving at a good speed, when you start to pass them it seems to suck you in closer. maybe its just a target fixation thing on my part, i dunno.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I feel it enough where it causes me to lean the bike into the wind to stay going straight. Not bad tho, if a truck is passing you slow down and let them go by quickly, you will feel the turbulance a good 100 feet or more behind the truck. If you are passing, just keep you line and peg the throttle. Watch for lane jumpers in front of the truck possibly jumping in your lane.

·
Registered
304 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
If you are passing, just keep you line and peg the throttle.
Don't tell people this type of stuff. "Peg" the throttle? It's just not necessary.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys/gals ... confirmation of what I thought, but when I asked a local rider that is on the same bike as me is answer was "what, I don't feel any wind from trucks"

I will keep looking for openings to get out of the blast as I can ... this whole road thing is not that tough if you use the sense god gave ya ...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, it's a tricky situation. Try not to tense up too much as well, you want to keep your arms loose so you don't translate unwanted movement to the bike. It'll wander some, but you really don't need to be wrestling with it too much. Be smooth and it makes most riding easier. Especially don't "whack" the throttle open, but that's for most situations, not just the truck stuff.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hijacking my own thread ... good to see ya japbike ... I am a WKU grad from way back ....

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Wait until you get hit my a 30MPH gust of wind from the side. That'll make you pucker. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts