Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've considering buying a cheap wrecked '00 VFR800, I've always wondered if one couldn't tune up that engine somehow and try it out :D I've alway heard how the VFR V4 isn't tuned for performance but for longivety. I know this very high-skilled bike tuning shop I could get work done sick cheap.. So basically I need rough ideas of things that could be done to a 110hp 780cc V4, without blower or NOS, to make it perform like a SS-tuned engine? Considering I basically only pay for components under retail prices. Will this sound retarded:

"put some lighter components somewhere in there so it revs higher and increase HP, mkey?? And drill it up as much as possible, increase compression, make it breathe and exhale better, turn it into something closer to a ducati GP V4. Thaaanks!"

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know this very high-skilled bike tuning shop I could get work done sick cheap.. So basically I need rough ideas of things that could be done to a 110hp 780cc V4

The first step is actually finding a 110 HP VFR.... ;)

They make 99/54 stock.

No offense to the collective knowledge of the board here, but the other step is to talk to your shop and see what they could actually do to your prospective victim. The folks that buy VFR's aren't exactly known for pulling the motors apart to turn them into fire-breathers, y'know! The last Honda V4 folks would have seriously tuned would have been the RC45. Ten Years Ago...

My thoughts - You should be able to get to your 110 ponies with standard mods: Intake, exhaust and fuel mapping. You could pull the heads and throttle bodies to have them ported/flowed and matched to each other. I don't know whether the TB's could be bored out and if that would be worthwhile. That should be worth another few %. Figure 6 weeks, and $2000. As far as high compression pistons and lighter internals, you are definitely going to be at the mercy of whatever's lying around the aftermarket. Add another $2000 if you want to do the internals.

But *know* that if you get into more serious internal mods, it's easy to bite off a great big chunk if you're not careful. For example: Install higher comp and lighter pistons/con-rods, and you'll *have* to rebalance the crankshaft and counterbalancers. Likewise, working the valves over and swapping cams for more revs doesn't do you all that much good if you haven't paid proper attention to the bottom end...

You might eMail or call http://www.orientexpress.com/ Those guys have been supplying serious Go Fast parts for as long as I've been riding (and that's a while...). If it could be done, they should know.

If you were talking about a Gixxer then I'd say 'No Problem, have your guy call Yoshimura for parts...', but since your intended target isn't something that crosses a tuner's bench very often, I'd strongly recommend doing your homework with the Pros before commiting.

Scott :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Adding to what Scott said.....the chassis wasn't really designed to suit such a hyper motor. I really wouldn't bother doing such work to a touring bike(for the most part).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scotteq
I guess the whole idea bottoms in the fact that there are no high performance V4's on the market so it'd be very very cool to "make" one. RC45's are hard to come by, you know. not to mention expen$ive! I was really close to buying a RC30 once, in very good condition, but I couldn't pay what he asked...I'll talk to the guys there and let them laugh at me, it's for a good cause.. They may just give it a try JUST because it's "impossible" :D

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
dyno humm, makes a big bore for the V4........to 869cc

http://www.dynamohumm.com/HONDA/VFR_800_98-01/VFR_800_(98-01)_MAIN.htm

there's your first step

·
Registered
466 Posts
taziscool said:
Adding to what Scott said.....the chassis wasn't really designed to suit such a hyper motor. I really wouldn't bother doing such work to a touring bike(for the most part).
EH, wrong.. the VFR chassis can handle up to 150hp easy without mods..There is even a 830cc big bore kit made for the VFR , sorry there was and the company that made it went out of business a few months back. Kit not cheap $2,000 + cost of having it bored and installed.

You can still buy the kit through different companies..
Check this site as there have been 2 members who have had the kits installed. www.vfrdiscussion.com

·
Registered
994 Posts
As a first step, I would put in some higher performing camshafts to favour higher rpm, and tune the exhaust header pipes to match. To hell with the low rpm torque; you don't need to see under 5K once you get rolling. Good luck finding those cams. You might have to machine your own.

·
Duc hunter
1,269 Posts
Nailer45 said:
EH, wrong.. the VFR chassis can handle up to 150hp easy without mods.
Well, even if it can physically handle that kinda oomph, I doubt I'd wanna try and tame that bucking chassis after you installed that motor. I'd ridden my dad's old '00 VFR hard enough to have that chassis wanting to bend in half from slamming it down on its side fast enough. And yes, the bike was adjusted as well as it could be. The whole 3/4-frame, swingarm pivot through the cases idea really makes that bike flex a whole heck of a lot more than I'd want. But that bike wasn't exactly meant to be flung around terribly hard, so its really no surprise.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for the link but it's kinda too late. I've sold the VFR a while ago. I got to enjoy it for another 2 years after I started this thread but traded it for a 00 blade last year. This is the bike that I really wanted, not so comfy on the long rides but all the other things more than make out for it.

The love for the V4 is still alive though, a SS trim version would be sweet. I hear Aprilia has something in the owen.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Nailer45 said:
EH, wrong.. the VFR chassis can handle up to 150hp easy without mods..There is even a 830cc big bore kit made for the VFR , sorry there was and the company that made it went out of business a few months back. Kit not cheap $2,000 + cost of having it bored and installed.

You can still buy the kit through different companies..
Check this site as there have been 2 members who have had the kits installed. www.vfrdiscussion.com
Wow... A three year old bump, nailer. :bitchslap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts