Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading "Sportbike Techniques" the other day and it said something about being tucked down behind the windscreen being a huge "no no". That it should only be done in hail and rain. I was just wondering how many of you tuck down. I know I have been down in a tucked position more than once as I went by a cop before. Mostly just to get out of some of the wind. Never been hasseled yet. I'm sure it's probably not good, but I wouldn't call it bad. How about you guys? Probably more likely to get a ticket maybe.

Any stories :popcorn

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far the book has been good--just first 3 basic chapters. It goes hand and hand with MSF at least as far. Later on it gets more advanced it looks like anyway.

·
Are we not men?
9,011 Posts
When you're tucked, you can't observe your surroundings as well. The better you can see your surroundings, the more prepared you'll be if the shit hits the fan.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
i dont tuck under 120-130, so ive never had any problems lol

i see some guys tucked at about 50 which looks GHEY!!!! (of course those are usually the ones with sneakers, shorts and sunglasses on) :squid

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
^^^ :LAO HOW TRUE. Besides most of b***** guys cant tuck properly anyways.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There is a section of road near my house that is frequently radared. I know this so I rarely speed on it, some cagers flashed their lights so I crested the hill in a full tuck doing 33 in a 35. I thought it was funny.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Only time I tuck is triple digits or on long rides, to lay down on the tank and rest. Might look gay but after 8+ hours of riding on a highway its pretty comfy.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
come ride around here in Tally...or should I say Bug City...you'll tuck on the highway at night...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Outside of track conditions, the other times that I have "tucked" was while commuting to work to counteract the high winds while traveling through the Whitewater / Palm Springs stretch of I-10.

The wind gusts through Whitewater can surpass 60mph commonly.

:cheers

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm only about 5'10 and 135 lbs, and I have trouble getting my big ass head tucked in the tiny "bubble" created by my R6's windscreen. The only time I do it is in rain or if it's freezing cold. It's not like it's illegal or anything, but I'm sure most non-rider cops see it as a sign that you are a speed demon or something retarded like that. If you aren't speeding, though (right...), they can't really do anything about it except wait for you to start speeding.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
So far the book has been good--just first 3 basic chapters. It goes hand and hand with MSF at least as far. Later on it gets more advanced it looks like anyway.

Cross post much? :bitchslap

In response to your question though, I've gone by plenty of cops while tucked and haven't been hassled. It probably does look like I am (or just was) going quite fast but they haven't worried about it yet.

I generally only tuck when actually going fast but, doing any distance rides or in wind I'll tuck for comfort.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Don't usually tuck unless over 100mph. Also, since I added a small tank bag, it makes it more difficult to tuck. I also think those that tuck on the freeways doing 5-10 over the posted speed limit look pretty queer. The best is when I see some guy/kid on an older (older meaning late 70's, early 80's) honda/suzuki/kawasaki non-sport bike sitting almost on the passenger seat leaning on their gas tank... ahhhhhh I just laugh and laugh and laugh..... :eek:nfloor

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Wind at freeway speeds (80-90 in cali) causes neck fatigue. I alternate tucking and riding upright on long trips whether guys on the internet think its gay or not.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Yeah, when I ride by a swampy area near where I live I tuck under the screen otherwise I get a facefull of bugs and shit. I also tuck over 110 ish and when I'm really tired during a long ride and need to move around a little bit.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
I tend to tuck when I'm doing serious highway riding, having no protection from wind except my bike really blows.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I tuck at any highway speed to save gas and be comfortable. don't care what it looks like to others... I like laying on the tank to take the pressure off my knees and wrists. Found this to be the best position for long distance riding on my particular bike.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
These all say the same thing, and I don't think there is any law against tucking into your bike... But yeah sometimes i see a guy around town...35 mph and tucked in..

im like...wtf are you doin jackass...

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
big_slacker said:
Wind at freeway speeds (80-90 in cali) causes neck fatigue. I alternate tucking and riding upright on long trips whether guys on the internet think its gay or not.
Yup. I'll also tuck where there's wind gusts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts