Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know when it comes down to it its my decision. I have about 5000 miles of road experience (which I know is not a lot) over the last few years, have taken the MSF courses, am 31 years old, and have been riding a piped/jetted VTR-1000 for the last year or so. I want to start riding on the track because I find myself riding a little too hard on the street as of late and its just not worth the risk. I like the seating position of the 954 far better than the new 1000RR and there are still a few new ones to be had at a good deal in my area. How is the 954 as a track bike? I considered a 600RR but its simply not comfortable for me for longer ride on the street which I still do. I also thought about an R6 but I am afraid that I am so used to the torque of the twin that I will not like the R6 as a street bike. I liked the R1 I rode but I have always been a fan of Honda bikes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
600 will teach a newcomer (to trackdays/racing) more than a liter class motorbike will...it also more forgiving and cheaper

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
go do some trackday w/ your bike, spend the $ upgrading the rider........

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 954 isn't going to make a good first track bike. Go with a 600.

By the way, if you're uncomfortable on a 600RR...what do you think the difference is on a 954RR? Very little. Have you ridden a 954? You don't like the 600RR or the 1000RR, the difference between the 1000RR and the 954 is MILLIMETERS.

600 is for the track. Hands down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
freeride said:
The 954 isn't going to make a good first track bike. Go with a 600.

By the way, if you're uncomfortable on a 600RR...what do you think the difference is on a 954RR? Very little. Have you ridden a 954? You don't like the 600RR or the 1000RR, the difference between the 1000RR and the 954 is MILLIMETERS.

600 is for the track. Hands down.
I have ridden a 954 and liked it. The 600 just did not feel comfortable to me. I have yet to ride a 1000RR but just sitting on one back to back against a 954 I found it very uncomfortable

I notice you ride an RC51.....That seems like a nice logical stepup for me since I like the V twin but I hated the seat on the one I rode. Do they make a more comfortable seat for that bike? The one I rode felt like a parkbench.

Would an older 600F2 or F3 make a good trackbike? I have seen some laydowns for reasonable prices lately....

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i;m still wondering why you think you need to "move up" your riding skills , have alot to be desired. and those skills will not get better w/ a newer more powerful bike, in reality your "bad habits" may be more pronounced and cause more problems.

if your gonna go small, get an SV

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It really doesn't come down to thinking I need to move up...I don't need to. I like my VTR but honestly I just want something different. Do my riding skills leave a lot to be desired? Considering you know nothing about me thats kind of an arrogant statement but I have read many of your posts and they all seem to have that same tone. I value your opinion based on your knowledge, and I know as an MSF coach you probably see some really bad riders etc. but maybe you need to not always jump to the conclusion that everyone is a skill less noob. At 5000 no
I am not an experienced rider by any means and I am sure I have plenty of bad habits as do most riders out there. I am starting to really enjoy riding the bike harder in corners and am leaning toward a more SS style bike if I decide to replace mine. Either way I will be doing some track days with Promotion and Reduc in the next couple months....If I like it as much as I expect to I might keep the VTR for the street and get an older 600 for the track

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
as a 954 owner i say go for it. fuck these dudes, you'll ride more on the street than you will on the track, right? the 954 has plenty of power(i bounce up 3rd gear wheelies on it), handles well, looks awesome, and can be found cheap now. get the 954, you'll love it. if you want to do long trips, invest in a corbin, the seat is like a piece of wood lol

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
snigg said:
as a 954 owner i say go for it. fuck these dudes, you'll ride more on the street than you will on the track, right? the 954 has plenty of power(i bounce up 3rd gear wheelies on it), handles well, looks awesome, and can be found cheap now. get the 954, you'll love it. if you want to do long trips, invest in a corbin, the seat is like a piece of wood lol
and make sure you take all the stickers off the bike too so you look cool :alky :flipa

·
Banned
5 Posts
don't let snigg fool you, he can't float that front wheel :flipa

i say get the 954 if that's what you want. who cares what RACER X or anyone else thinks

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just asking the question says you aren't ready, not to mention only 5k miles experience......if you thought you were ready, you wouldn't need to ask.

BTW, since you did go 'round w/ RacerX on it.....even at 5k, you haven't eveen scratched the surface on what that bike can do yet....take IT to the track, it'll open your eyes about your skills......you do realize there are folks who would runs rings around you on the VTR your wife rides. You're 31, I expected more......but you're sounding like the 17-20 yr olds around here.

Improve YOU first..........

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ride a less powerful bike, have about the same number of miles, and I personally know I'm not ready for a b***** bike...

Does that mean you're not? Nope... my experience doesn't mean a damn thing.

You're the one who has to ride the bike, make the payments, and be happy...

If it's what you want to do, then go ahead... If you want to wait and track your current bike, do that instead...

If you just want something different, get a different bike...

Ride what you like, and have fun doing it.

Hope this helps

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
qwik huh said:
. Do my riding skills leave a lot to be desired?
until you've done a trackday, you have no INKLING of the capabilities of your bike.

funny in the trackday forum, somebody asked if it's common for peeps, after having done a trackday to taper down or even quit street riding.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2823

think of it this way 5000mi/60mph=83.3 hrs of riding, how are your skills?

i'll bet after the same mileage your wife will have more skills then you.

stanger, your bike running yet?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RACER X said:
i'll bet after the same mileage your wife will have more skills then you.

stanger, your bike running yet?
Well I highly doubt that since I am teaching her and I apparently have no skills at all.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
taziscool said:
BTW, since you did go 'round w/ RacerX on it.....even at 5k, you haven't eveen scratched the surface on what that bike can do yet....take IT to the track, it'll open your eyes about your skills......you do realize there are folks who would runs rings around you on the VTR your wife rides. You're 31, I expected more......but you're sounding like the 17-20 yr olds around here.

Improve YOU first..........
I am sorry I even brought this up. I was trying to find out the characteristics of a bike and if its what I really want and I get a few decent responses and then told I have no skills and act like a 17 year old.....thanks guys

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
reality sucks......../laughing

but the point is question why? are your skills up to the VTR let alone an SS bike like the 954, prolly not. why not invest in yourself.

you have 5k, i have 50k, and i'm consider myself mediocre...........

as for you teaching your wife, i'd highly recommend she go take the MSF by herself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She is taking the MSF in Sept....We got a good deal on the 250 so we picked it up and I am just teaching her some parking lot basics so she has a handle on the bike before she starts her class. I will try not to pass on all my bad habits :)

I have signed up for 2 trackdays. One in August and one in Sept. I am going to try them on my VTR since I am comfortable with what the bike does and go from there. I may even throw the 250 in the trailer and try that on the track for the hell of it.

I guess some of my attitude comes from the group I ride with. Many of them ride R1s, GSXR1000s, 600RRs, etc and on our weekend rides I find myself having to slow down to stay with the group and I guess that makes me feel like I have more skill than I do when most likley its a result of me riding with people who bought too big.

Can you reccomend some good leathers? I have an Icon leather jacket now but it has no provision for pants so I was looking at a 2 piece from Hein Gericke that seemed to fit well and looks pretty solid. Also how will the Dunlop 208s be on a track? I have a set of new Diablos I have not ridden yet sitting in the garage. Would these be any better?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts