Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He rode dirtbikes for about a year so he has a little riding experience. A guy he knows has an 03 gixxer 1000 that was backed into by a truck. now its fixed and the guy is wanting to sell it. my brother has ridden street bikes a couple times but never owned one. i told him that i know where a great deal on a telefonica is but he said this is a good deal on this bike. what can i say to convince him more that a 1000 is way too much of a bike to start out on

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have him start calling around for insurance quotes. That in itself may scare him into something smaller (and older).

Also, tell him to take the MSF course before even considering buying it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
being that age the insurance isnt all that high. it depends on who he goes thru.

but it is way to large for him to start on. just on slip on the throttle and then its totalled

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have personally been riding since i was 6, i started on a YSR-50 type of thing back then so I cant really say i practiced what i preach, but I dont really aggree that someone must start small. Going with a 600 these days, like my own 636, is not starting out small either, with the exception of the 4th gear power wheelies I can stay right with riders on Gixxer 1ks and other bikes of the sorts. I would highly recommend your brother takes the MSF course and then once he gets into the first season he should really take the experienced rider course on his own bike, whether that be a 1k or a 600. The best lesson i can give to new riders, no matter what size bike they choose these days (unless its a Derbi GPR-50) is that the throttle is not an on-off switch....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Show him pictures of people who thought they could start off big...but couldnt. Also, let him read articles about those who crashed because they wanted to start off b***** than they should have.
MSF MAN!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Dan636 said:
Any website that includes a bike as poorly balanced as a sportster as a beginner bike loses alot of my respect!! Sorry Moon!
Read the other link.
I HATE sportsters as beginners bikes!!!

They are not a place to start, though they quelled a bit of vibes this year by rubber mounting

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Pineapple Devil said:
He rode dirtbikes for about a year so he has a little riding experience. A guy he knows has an 03 gixxer 1000 that was backed into by a truck. now its fixed and the guy is wanting to sell it. my brother has ridden street bikes a couple times but never owned one. i told him that i know where a great deal on a telefonica is but he said this is a good deal on this bike. what can i say to convince him more that a 1000 is way too much of a bike to start out on

Do you think playing Fight simulator on a PC qualifies that person piloting an F15?

·
Registered
353 Posts
From Beginner Bikes.com

"Top heavy and just plain heavy. The only reason I don't give this bike an F is because Harley doesn't make any other bike that is more suitable to a beginner. If you absolutely must have a Harley, then this is the least terrible choice."
Not exactly a glowing endorsement of the Sportster.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Tell him to get a gun, load it with 3 bullets instead of one, and play russian roulette with it......it equates to learning on a liter bike like that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
taziscool said:
Tell him to get a gun, load it with 3 bullets instead of one, and play russian roulette with it......it equates to learning on a liter bike like that.

Thats got to be one of dumbest responses I've ever read on this site.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Well, you can't tell him what to do if he has his mind set on getting that bike. He needs to do what all of us idiots with too big of bikes did, fall and hurt yourself. It took me dumping my bike 3 times, HARD, till I finaly came to the conclusion that I couldnt handle something that size. So I went and bought a 600.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Smoke2k said:
Thats got to be one of dumbest responses I've ever read on this site.
WHY? the odds are he's gonna crash......and on liter bike's, death is a pretty common side-effect......

·
Registered
456 Posts
but todays six hundreds are more powerfull they yesteryears Litres so any biek is very dangerous

·
Registered
456 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
You can die on any bike. Litres are just less forgiving and make that easier.

My litre bike goes 140-150 as does a 600.
my litre goes 175.. i hear ya on the litre is more dangerous because of the power they have. but with great power comes with great responsiblity. i love the power of my RR. i dont use it to its full but when i need its there. the low end power is the best, no need ot rev it to go anywhere. i wouldnt start on a litre but it is possible and would make riding around town easier since you dotn need to rev high and have the front lift. i learned on a endro, then a 250 VTR, then katana six00, cbr F3 and now 1000RR.

some riders can accutally harness the bikes ablilties and know when ot use it and not to, some cant even harness a six00 abilbites

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you take the msf course and understand the basics to riding and control you can ride anything. al you have to do is understand and respect the power that you control. i can cruz on my 1000 and not ever break the speed limit and i can hoop on my 600 doin wheelies and doubling the speed limit. the thing is does the rider have self control and control of the bike or does his bike and his ego control him?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
taziscool said:
:rolleyes: where do you come up with this stuff?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts