Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This administration is coming to its natural end, I think. It is in such a state of disarray that it's effectively non-functioning. It's on fire. A day doesn't go by when some new revelation of fraud, a lie, a payoff, a resignation, a Tweet (which is really now nothing more than a primal scream)...

YUP. It's Treason:

The latest Mueller indictments absolutely, positively connect Russia to all kinds of electoral mayhem in both the 2016 election and probably ongoing. The evidence Mueller lays out is massive and conclusive, and resulted in indictments against 17 Russian nationals. The bastards started out just trying to divide the public. Then, the project morphed into a genuine "Russians for Trump," clandestine operation involving not only Russian nationals but Americans as well, some of whom were dupes and others not so naive (and who will probably be appropriately dealt with).

As all of this is unfolding and as more facts emerge in the future about the depth and breadth of the Russian interference with the American electoral process, the absolutely deafening silence of the administration to do anything about it is incredibly telling of Team Trump's resistance to investigation of a foreign power operating against our country. At a time when any other administration would immediately launch the FBI as well as take steps to mitigate the problem, the Trump Administration sits on its hands and neither says anything nor does anything. Trump, in fact, has repeatedly assured the public that in calls to him, Putin has denied any involvement in interference with the USA. And that, Trump has said, is good enough for him.

Trump is directly failing to "defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic." That is, at the least, dereliction but accurately interpreted, he is actively working in favor of a foreign power and against the interests of the country he proposes to govern. It is, in fact, Treason.

One gets the feeling we are in a calm before a real storm breaks out. The evidence keeps mounting, the administration closes itself off, people leave, other people get lawyered up, Jared is now muzzled, cut off from secure information, Ivanka goes off to sell perfume in China, a wife beater is thrown out, Kelly caught lying, on and on and on. Until.....

Trump is going to be massively rejected in November—if indeed he chooses to stay in office that long.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Trump will cling to office as long as he can keep the bubble that strokes his ego. My expectation is that Mueller has about another year to go before he drops some big hammers. It won't happen until sometime after next November. This is not because Mueller is political, but rather because he's methodical. Anybody who expects any kind of quick, sanitary ending to any of this is going to be disappointed. I would expect to see Mueller nail down Jared Kushner and Don Jr. eventually. The latest - a lawyer recently pled guilty to lying under oath about communications with Gates about Ukraine during the campaign - came out of the blue, at least as far as I know. There's no telling how many others will get swept up in all this.

The thing that is really spooky is that Trump does have some power to create havoc in order to change the subject. I hope that those around him are able to restrain his instinct to lash out inappropriately. I don't have high hopes for Kelly, who seems to be a military version of Trump, complete with the white supremacist attitudes. Some of the others may actually be patriotic Americans who will put the country over loyalty to Trump and his wacko behavior.

Trump will bluster, throw mud, blame others, and act in the manner we have seen him act until somebody drags him away. He seems incapable of believing that he can do wrong, and seems to think that if he does it or wants it, the rest of us should fall in line because he's somewhere close to God.

The Russians are indeed laughing, because their intention of using Trump to undermine this country is working very well. I expect a Democratic wave election in the fall, and I also expect a recession in 2019 or 2020. 2020 seems more likely now than 2019. Trump will not react well to either a non-lapdog House or a recession. But, he won't resign. He won't see a reason to resign. I also think the Senate is not going to change hands. That means the GOP will continue to shield Trump from the consequences of his actions and behavior until at least the 2020 election.

As things are going, we may eventually see reliably Republican areas flip, just as previously Democratic areas flipped to Trump in 2016. It's going to be volatile.

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's all speculative at this point. Doesn't matter much whether Mueller reports before or after the election. Trump is now a known quantity. Everyone, right, left and center, understands that guy is an enormous political mistake. I think, in the end, he will be indicted as a common white collar criminal, probably for money laundering. He's played fast and loose with the law for years.

What is absolutely stunning is the Republican Party's capitulation to power and money. There seems to be a total lack of ethics among the entire leadership. McConnell, Cornyn, McCarthy, Ryan, and on down the ladder—all of them just smell to the high heavens.

Then there's the raping and pillaging going on within the cabinet itself. The kids selling their shit in India on the government's nickel. Christ!

It's now acknowledged that Trump is the worst President in history. Surpassing even Buchanan.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
I'm not even remotely surprised by the acquiescence of Ryan and McConnell. Neither of them has an honest bone anywhere. Ryan has been a demonstrable fraud for many years. It's just more obvious now that he's in a position to actually act on the crap he's been spouting. So much for being a deficit hawk. He's not. He's just another monarchist.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are yall done with yourselves yet?

I'm not going to take the time to explain to you what really happened, and WHO really broke the law- it wouldn't matter to you anyways.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Are yall done with yourselves yet?

I'm not going to take the time to explain to you what really happened, and WHO really broke the law- it wouldn't matter to you anyways.
Sure, go for it. I'll listen. If it's talking points, then you are just another wingnut swallowing the pap you get fed. Clinton was an awful candidate. No doubt. Whatever credibility Clinton may have once had was eroded by 20 years of constant attacks from the right and her own slippery behavior. No doubt about that. Trump has been a standing joke in NYC for even longer. Nobody would lend him money, because he's an incompetent businessman who is great a lining his own pockets and stiffing everyone else. That's well documented. So, the 2016 election cycle sucked all around. Now we have Trump, who you seem to think is just fine. Proof that your ability to analyze facts is lacking, and that you put your wingnut party loyalty above rational analysis. A truly patriotic Republican would be hoping for a strong Republican challenger who would get back to traditional Republican policies like free trade, fiscal responsibility, and all that. Those things are easily discarded by wingnut Bosheviks who are intent on power and have no other guiding principles. Apparently you support that kind of thing.

So, fire away. Show some real facts, things we don't already know and that haven't been regurgitated by Faux News or some other rightie Bolshevik source. In the mean time, enjoy your coming serfdom.

Trump wants to be Mussolini. He's not that competent. He's Berlusconi.

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure, go for it. I'll listen. If it's talking points, then you are just another wingnut swallowing the pap you get fed. Clinton was an awful candidate. No doubt. Whatever credibility Clinton may have once had was eroded by 20 years of constant attacks from the right and her own slippery behavior. No doubt about that. Trump has been a standing joke in NYC for even longer. Nobody would lend him money, because he's an incompetent businessman who is great a lining his own pockets and stiffing everyone else. That's well documented. So, the 2016 election cycle sucked all around. Now we have Trump, who you seem to think is just fine. Proof that your ability to analyze facts is lacking, and that you put your wingnut party loyalty above rational analysis. A truly patriotic Republican would be hoping for a strong Republican challenger who would get back to traditional Republican policies like free trade, fiscal responsibility, and all that. Those things are easily discarded by wingnut Bosheviks who are intent on power and have no other guiding principles. Apparently you support that kind of thing.

So, fire away. Show some real facts, things we don't already know and that haven't been regurgitated by Faux News or some other rightie Bolshevik source. In the mean time, enjoy your coming serfdom.

Trump wants to be Mussolini. He's not that competent. He's Berlusconi.

LOL........Crickets!

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And, how to spin Pennsylvania 18? Somebody must be guilty of something. It was those darn Russians again.
An amazing turn of events. I can't help but think that the country is finally revolting against this imposter of a president. In the same breath, it's frightening to realize that as all these firings occur, Trump is replacing people who more more or less were holding him in check with pure blood neocons and tea partiers of the likes of Pompeo.

For all his other faults (an there were many), Tillerson was not willing to jettison the Iran deal or start a war on the Korean peninsula. The new guy, Pompeo, may be a little less concerned in getting us into another goddam war somewhere east of the Zulu meridian.

One other thought, I wonder what the GOP Congresscritters must be thinking as a result of the PA-18 race. What do your think McConnell an Ryan must be mulling over?

Yet our military commanders are adamant that their troops cannot achieve their mission if diplomats aren’t addressing the underlying sources of conflict. In keeping with our widening partisan divisions, only 33 percent of Republicans — compared to 83 percent of Democrats — now agree with the statement that “good diplomacy is the best way to ensure peace.” Mr. Pompeo, who served in the military and has spoken of how other countries want American leadership instead of American boots on the ground, must address this creeping polarization.
NYT Linky

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Paul Ryan is on record as saying Lamb rand as a Republican. Maybe he did. What does that tell you? The GOP doesn't have any Republicans left in it. It has wack jobs, Mussolini wanabes, Berlusconi actually ares, and a random cast of charlatans, frauds, enablers, and dim wits. It's a shame to live in a country where there's only one party a person with two functioning brain cells can vote for. Push things any harder to the wacko end and the Democrats will learn too well from the GOP and will become unsupportable in time as well. Thanks a lot, Lee Atwater.

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is about as succinct a explanation for Trumpism as there is.

Tethered to a Raging Buffoon Called Trump

We are tethered to a buffoon. He rages and veers, spreading ugliness, like an oil slick smothering everything in its viscous mantle. He’s about to bomb Syria. He’s not about to bomb Syria. His attention span is nonexistent. He attacks the foundations of our Republic: an independent judiciary, a free press, truth itself. His cabinet looks terrorized, the way Saddam Hussein’s once did.

President Donald Trump is dangerous. The main things mitigating the danger are his incompetence and cowardice. We live in a time that teaches how outrage can turn to a shrug, how the unthinkable repeated over and over can induce moral numbness, how a madman’s manic certainties can overwhelm reason. He is very busy; people resist; he opens another front; people shake their heads. It’s hard to remember on Friday what happened on Monday. Trump’s is the unbearable lightness of the charlatan.

Disorientation spreads. Trump’s main war, beyond all the military bluster, is on truth. This reflects his instinct for the jugular: Once the distinction between truth and falsehood disappears, anything is possible. There are plenty of examples these days, from Moscow to Budapest, of how “democracies” can be manipulated to the point where they can yield only one result. This is Trump’s objective, and for it he needs a weakened Justice Department, a weakened press and an American public that will believe anything. He has had setbacks but is stubborn.

In the mid-1930s, when the world was hurtling toward disaster, Robert Musil, the Austrian author of “The Man Without Qualities,” wrote this on the nature of civilization: “That which we call culture presumably does not directly have the concept of truth as a criterion, but no culture can rest on a crooked relationship to truth.”

This passage is cited by Olaf Peters, the curator of a wonderful exhibition called “Before the Fall: German and Austrian Art of the 1930’s” at New York’s Neue Galerie. Peters writes of Hitler and the Nazis that they “ultimately came to power above all because they were against something and wanted to make Germany great again at the expense of others; they were against liberal democracy, against cultural modernism,” and hated both Marxism and Judaism, which they blamed for German humiliation.

So, Hitler wanted to make Germany great again. Sure worked out. Trump, of course, also hates “cultural modernism.” He is about a Restoration he equates with restored greatness. Once upon a time the United States won wars, white men ruled, a factory worker in Michigan could afford a couple of quad bikes, and marriage was between a man and a woman. President Trump is about resisting economic, cultural, technological, gender and demographic change. He can’t think, read or reflect; he compensates with urges.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as tweet. No, the United States is not Weimar, but then Weimar was not the Austro-Hungarian Empire of 1914, nor the French monarchy of 1789. It is not quite true that, as Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa observed, if we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change. Sometimes one gunshot ushers in the obliteration of empire and sumptuous palaces are left to attend to memories.

In the best case, it will take a long time to recover from Trump. America’s word is near worthless today. It’s on America’s word that global security has rested since 1945.

All the dumb noise Trump makes should not mask the fact that he is a symptom, not a cause. He reflects, and reinforces, a global counterrevolutionary moment, a reaction to the cry of Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany that she was “alternativlos”— without alternative.

The resurgent nationalists and nativists insist there are alternatives — alternatives to openness, to mass migration, to free trade, to secularism, to Europe’s ever closer union, to the legalization of same-sex marriage, to gender as a spectrum, to diversity, to human rights. They seek the homogeneous, a quest that exacted a terrible 20th century price.

This is no time for bystanders. “Before the Fall” reminds us to be vigilant. On April 11, 1939, the future historian Fritz Stern, then age 13, wrote to Fiorello La Guardia, the mayor of New York, who had been outspoken in denouncing Hitler:

“When I heard a few minutes ago over the radio that you, Honorable Mayor, don’t want to run once more as Mayor, I was deeply depressed. Although I am a refugee, coming from Germany only months ago, and only a schoolboy, I beseech you to run again. I am quite sure that 80% of all New Yorkers will elect you (and this without concentration camps and Gestapo!). You must stay in City Hall for the sake of this wonderful city and country. If you are no longer Mayor that ‘international gangster in the brown shirt’ will be all too glad.”

I am grateful to Elisabeth Sifton, the editor and publisher, for passing along her late husband’s letter. The indignant voices of 13-year-olds are needed today on Trump. Stern would go on to write: “The fragility of freedom is the simplest and deepest lesson of my life and work.”

·
Registered
402 Posts
From a review of the new book "How Democracies Die" by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt.

Levitsky and Ziblatt lay out a four-part test for identifying authoritarian leaders: rejecting democratic institutions, denying the legitimacy of political opponents, tolerating or encouraging violence and curtailing civil liberties. “With the exception of Richard Nixon, no major-party presidential candidate met even one of these four criteria over the last century,” they note. “Donald Trump met all of them.”

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From a review of the new book "How Democracies Die" by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt.
The 64 dollar question is whether this Republic can weather the fascist explosion called Trumpism. Mussolini and Trump are indeed kindred souls. I'm just not sure, frankly.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Mussolini was more competent, and look where he ended up. My concern is about whatever it is that Russia has on Trump. He announced sanctions after the latest gas attack in Syria, and now I read that those sanctions aren't going to be imposed after all. It's the usual Trump bait and switch. It's also an odd pattern of appeasement. Yeah, I just used that word.

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Russkies have something on Trump and it isn't minor, either. Trump is a common (though well to do) criminal. It's all going to come out in the months and years to come. The guy has been playing fast and loose with the law all his goddam life. Add to that his penchant for boinking anything in a skirt and he's essentially toast.

The question is really whether or not he's taking the United States of America down with him. I just wish the world could place itself on "Pause" while we get through this f'ing presidency.

Unfortunately, our adversaries (And there are plenty of them!) are rushing to take advantage of this clusterfuck of an administration. Between Tilllerson Price, Pruitt and Zinke—and now that goof from Kansas, Pompeo, and Bolton, we're pretty much fucked until 2021.

Really, we're in as bad a shape, maybe even worse, than the worst days of the Cold War. All the important actors....Trump, Kim, Putin, Netanyahu, Assad, the Mullahs in Iran....they're all fucking nuts. And they've all got nukes except Assad (who has to just get by with poison gas). All it takes is for one of those nut cases to let a nuke fly and it's "Game on."

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Cockroaches will take over the world when we do ourselves in as a species. I'm not too worried. There might even be primitive humans somewhere, too. They would be mutants, but so it goes.

That aside, an opinion from Bloomberg, a far left, commie pinko Islamofascist source, pointed out that the Cohen investigation is being run by a regular prosecutor, not a special prosecutor. Mueller isn't specifically part of that investigation, which means it keeps going if Trump fires Mueller. And, it also means that the prosecutors, who are career law enforcement, have their teeth into things really close to Trump. The chances of criminality getting exposed, if there is criminality, are about 100% at this point. And, there's not a damn thing Trump can do about it. Firing Mueller at this point will only be evidence of obstruction of justice, and Trump seems to know it.

Then again, who can guess what Trump knows or doesn't know.

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess we'll see how this all shakes out. It's going to take a long time, though. Trump has hired Spears and Imes (as counsel in the Cohen matter), which is a law firm made up of former federal prosecutors. They know their way around the forest in the Southern District of NY. They've worked with Comey when Comey was a prosecutor in NYC, too. They'll put up a hell of a fight for Trump in trying to quash the use/release of info the FBI got in the Cohen warrant.

With Trump's reputation stiffing his lawyers you'd think no firm of any repute would work for Trump. Well, Trump got around that one easily: He's paying them from his campaign funds. :eek:nfloor So there you go. All those little donors in Milwaukee and Detroit are paying their preisdent's legal fees. I don't even know if that's some sort of violation. Probably not, but I'd sure as hell be pissed if I knew Bernie was paying off lawyers with my donations.

Trump is so fucking cheap he wouldn't spend his own money if he had another source. He could have given them a half million dollar retainer, too. Trump's just another ficking mug from Queens. Fed with a silver spoon all his miserable life.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts