Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your part of town do drivers seem to be poorer drivers/blantantly ignorant to the rules of the road the lower the income bracket is?

South Florida has hundreds of thousands of horrible drivers covering all races/ethnicities and income brackets. For some reason though the poorer the neighborhood the greater the concentration of poorer drivers.

·
Registered
951 Posts
True or False: South Florida contains a large concentration of old people. I believe we can assume that to be a much more significant cause of driving suckage. Almost as bad as the ricers.

As for poor people, I don't know about that, but I do know I avoid badly maintained cars because in my logic, if you don't take care of your car, you're not so likely to be worried about what happens to it if you fuck up, and I don't want to go down with you.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMPerfection said:
True or False: South Florida contains a large concentration of old people. I believe we can assume that to be a much more significant cause of driving suckage. Almost as bad as the ricers.

As for poor people, I don't know about that, but I do know I avoid badly maintained cars because in my logic, if you don't take care of your car, you're not so likely to be worried about what happens to it if you fuck up, and I don't want to go down with you.
To me old people are OBLIVIOUS. I meant BLATANT disregard for the LAW by persons of sound mind and body. People who have no "handicap" other than factor X. Be it ignorance, disregard, recklessness etc.

·
Registered
951 Posts
ten31 said:
To me old people are OBLIVIOUS. I meant BLATANT disregard for the LAW by persons of sound mind and body. People who have no "handicap" other than factor X. Be it ignorance, disregard, recklessness etc.
Ever since I started running open downpipe on my car, and then now I just run catless, mufflerless 3", but still with a dual exit in the rear, I have noticed old people don't try to hit me nearly as often. However, the downside (for them, and other innocent bystanders too, I guess) is that instead they either (a) stare at me from when I appear until I am completely out of site, forgetting to devote attention to the road, or (b) swerve wildly as I pass, I am assuming from surprise. I once had an old guy in a buick in the lane to my right go up on a sidewalk as I passed him doing the speed limit, not accelerating at all either, and he then had the nerve to shake his varicose-vein-infested fist at me.

And my car does have a turbo, so even with the unmuffled 3" exhaust, it's not THAT loud.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would say the drivers are worse around the higher income areas, due to the fact that all these suv drivers around here are on their phones when driving.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
ten31 said:
South Florida has hundreds of thousands of horrible drivers covering all races/ethnicities and income brackets. For some reason though the poorer the neighborhood the greater the concentration of poorer drivers.
And that would be because of the crack... In SoFla, the poorer the neighborhood, the more crack gets used. Anyone who thinks I'm kidding, come on down for a guided tour... I stay away from the crackheads with the wild eyes and beat-up landyachts...

Now how about this... you think the drivers are bad in the poor areas, but what about the pedestrians? They just don't give a fuck. Nothing to live for, I guess. Sadly enough. Those fuckers will jump right out in front of you, forcing you to brake - and hopefully the nutjob behind you will too :rolleyes

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fotocycle said:
And that would be because of the crack... In SoFla, the poorer the neighborhood, the more crack gets used. Anyone who thinks I'm kidding, come on down for a guided tour... I stay away from the crackheads with the wild eyes and beat-up landyachts...

Now how about this... you think the drivers are bad in the poor areas, but what about the pedestrians? They just don't give a fuck. Nothing to live for, I guess. Sadly enough. Those fuckers will jump right out in front of you, forcing you to brake - and hopefully the nutjob behind you will too :rolleyes
foto i know what you are talking about. lived in miami for 20 years. as far as rich people on their cells while driving theiir Ford Valdez around...i think its different. They dont want anything to happen to their vehicle which provides you with a measure of protection albeit very slight. Poor people in my experience just dont give a fuck. I had someone cut me off turning onto w/b sunrise blvd as i was headed w/b. they came off a side street from s/b. they never even so much as glanced to the left to see if traffic was coming. thank god i had room to change lanes. of course it was a mid 80's land barge with 4 guys who could care less about their appearance much less what would have been my appearance splattered all over w/b sunrise.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Theres a couple points to be made. Yes, generally I find that poor people are poor drivers. Most of this observation has been made from my contact with poor people, around lower class towns- an area that has alot of hurdles for drivers to begin with. I make the assumption that disregard for a cars condition translates to disregard for having a safe driving experience. I'm sure theres many amazing drivers out there in the trailer parks

It doesn't get much better for the upper class family in debt up to their eyeballs trying to afford the new H2. I really don't appreciate that either.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
This issue goes so much deeper than socioeconomic theorums. It is the driver's skills, abilities, knowing the rules of the road, ability to be courteous and defined understanding that he/she, a "tunnel vision" motorist is not the only one occupying the roadway.

:rolleyes

·
Registered
426 Posts
there is a section of poor neigborhoods with a lot of mexicans. These people drive like shit. In the last month 2 of them have pulled out in front of me. The people on their cell phone are next on my list.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Most poor neighborhoods encompass immigrants who come from countries where the roads are crap and traffic laws are either non-existant and not enforced.

I wish florida had safety inspections sometimes. Too many cars on the road have no business being on the road in the first place.

·
Registered
488 Posts
eh, I just assume everyone on the road while I'm riding is a shit driver.. Takes a lot of the guess work out of it.. Assume everyone blows balls and ride accordingly, you'll never be surprised when someone tries to push you off the road..

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah I basically just assume people are going to pull out in front of me most places, and I always watch my mirrors when slowing down to see what the jerkoff behind me happens to be doing. I love it when you pull up behind someone and I guess you being close to them makes them uncomfortable and they inch forward... It's like, seriously buddy, are you afriad of me bumping you? Some other driver hitting me and ME fucking up the back of your car?? I generally just inch closer when they do that, no real harm in it, does that make me an asshole? haha

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
FALSE - Here the higher income bracket is fileld with trucks and SUVs who tend to drive like absolute shite.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I work at a high income area (there is where the company decided it would be better to have the office) and live at a medim level income area...

I'm amazed by how bad the people drive in the higer income area!!! I think there is no day a Mercedes/BMW/Audi tries to run me over when I'm crossing the street. Not to mention the ocassional H2 trying to run over everyone else, or soccer moms with their SUVs...

Note: Once I saw the perfect definition of a "mom mobile", a blue minivan with a baby bottle on the cupholder...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have been driving or riding into Detroit from the Suburbs for over 11 years now so here is my 2 cents.

Suburb drivers - Just bad drivers who don't care enough to pay attention

City drivers - A higher concentrated area of bad drivers who don't care enough to pay attention, and tend to pull more unbelievable maneuvers.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
njssli22 said:
eh, I just assume everyone on the road while I'm riding is a shit driver.. Takes a lot of the guess work out of it.. Assume everyone blows balls and ride accordingly, you'll never be surprised when someone tries to push you off the road..
+1 I've always driven like that, and of course it transferred over to my riding as well.

When riding through Aventura - a high-income area nestled in between low- or middle-income bracket areas - you have less crackheads, but still a bunch of fucktards who think they own the road. But the SUVs and the Beemers - and their stereotypical drivers - can be found in the low-income areas as well.. they're just driven by drug dealers.

Still, the crackheads are one of the biggest dangers out in some areas. I'll take five SUV stereotypes over two crackheads anytime. What you'll see in a junkie's eyes can be scary anywhere - now put him behind the wheel of a 5000lb vehicle. They're severely unpredictable and don't give a rat's ass about anything.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I was goin to lunch one day from work. 4 way stop, it was my turn but this old lady decided to do a california stop while on her cell phone. Creeped up while she was ignorning the law and slammed on my breaks while honking the horn. She freaked, it was great. :urowned

·
Registered
951 Posts
FloridaMike said:
Most poor neighborhoods encompass immigrants who come from countries where the roads are crap and traffic laws are either non-existant and not enforced.

I wish florida had safety inspections sometimes. Too many cars on the road have no business being on the road in the first place.
Including mine! Say no to inspections, we'll be the next CA before we know it.

Just let the police ticket obvious violators, like they SHOULD be doing.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I think both groups can be bad drivers, but for opposite reasons.

First, poor people and immigrants suffer from a lack of training and experience on the road (especially people who grow up overseas or in really poor places where they might not get driver's training in school.) If don't get good driver's training (and if they really are poor, they don't have money to get it on their own, either) they hit the street with the bare minimum and that makes them a danger. Also, they usually buy the cheapest car they can find - i.e. a rolling road hazard- and that further increases the problem. Lastly, because of the expense of operating the vehicle, they probably don't do much more than use it for the basics so they don't really get the kind of practice they need.

Rich people often have the opposite problem. They have so much experience, and spend so much time behind the wheel that they actually have contempt for driving. They try to do everything they can to make the time less about driving and more about what they are missing - thus the cel phones, the coffee pots, the women doing make up etc, etc, etc. The other thing is, rich people feel like they have to be somewhere and try to get through - that makes everyone else on the road and obstacle to either dodge around or roll over.

Both groups are dangerous. Clearly, only I am the best driver on the road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts