My prayers to his family.........RIP

Target fixation sucks.........IMOHO

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
alaska cajun said:
My prayers to his family.........RIP

Target fixation sucks.........IMOHO
May not be prob. with target fixation. Could be a defect in the machine. I don't think the article says anything to the fact of his experience relative to motorcycling though...

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
mikem317 said:
May not be prob. with target fixation. Could be a defect in the machine. I don't think the article says anything to the fact of his experience relative to motorcycling though...

Target fixation can happen to any level of rider and the artical did say he was a trained Chip.

A defect in a bike that is well maintained(the artical implied that he was on a chip bike) is highly unlikely that it would be bad enough to slam him into a tunnel wall at 40 mph.

This also brings up another topic:
I doubt he would have lost his arm had he had on some quaility gear(it didn't say if he had it on or not) and we all know that chips almost never gear up.I find it very strange that they are not forced to wear good gear.Cops of all people should know the dangers of rideing without it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
RIP officer.

We have a famous sumo wrestler Konishiki who crashed his harley or cruiser bike into a guard rail or median.

He said the bike was defective. Something with the steering

Our cops too, Alaska don't wear gear when riding. They also have the "chips" mentality of riding side-by-side like on the show. And they sometimes ride in diamond formation, four all packed tightly together.

·
Registered
359 Posts
alaska cajun wrote: I doubt he would have lost his arm had he had on some quaility gear (it didn't say if he had it on or not) and we all know that chips almost never gear up. I find it very strange that they are not forced to wear good gear. Cops of all people should know the dangers of rideing without it.
Leather isn't going to help in an impact hard enough to sever an arm. It does a great job at preventing road rash and cuts, but it in a point impact--in this case with the wall of a tunnel apparently--it can't absorb enough energy to make a difference.

I'm all in favor of good gear, and I think cops should consider equipment better than the 1950s clothing they now wear. But it's possible to overvalue safety gear. If you think crashing is safer than it actually is, you're not going to put enough emphasis on the one foolproof safety measure available: not crashing in the first place.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There's an important lesson in this tragedy for all of us about first aid. The officer bled to death because the injury severed an artery in his arm. When an arm or leg is injured severely enough to open an artery, the victim can die of blood loss in just a few minutes. Immediate action is required to stop the bleeding. If, God forbid, you should witness a crash involving that kind of injury, use anything available to tie off the bleeding artery. And consider taking a first-aid class and carrying a first-aid kit when you ride.

A motorcyclist died near my home last year when he hit a guardrail at 100+. It was on a road I often ride, so I stopped at the site a few days after the crash. The stick figure spray-painted in the roadway by police was missing the lower half of one leg, apparently indicating loss of the limb. And the figure was surrounded by a dark stain several feet in diameter. Even though he had been riding with friends, he bled to death before help arrived.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Eddie Apex said:
There's an important lesson in this tragedy for all of us about first aid. The officer bled to death because the injury severed an artery in his arm. When an arm or leg is injured severely enough to open an artery, the victim can die of blood loss in just a few minutes. Immediate action is required to stop the bleeding. If, God forbid, you should witness a crash involving that kind of injury, use anything available to tie off the bleeding artery. And consider taking a first-aid class and carrying a first-aid kit when you ride.

Good advice.

R.I.P.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would recommend some first aid books for this purpose. One I can name off hand "Ditch medicine", is fairly decent. Normally you shouldn't go about trying to practise any of this, but if you come across someone in a bad situation it's good to know how to stop bleeding by any means possible.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
alaska cajun said:
This also brings up another topic:
I doubt he would have lost his arm had he had on some quaility gear(it didn't say if he had it on or not) and we all know that chips almost never gear up.I find it very strange that they are not forced to wear good gear.Cops of all people should know the dangers of rideing without it.

Do PD's issue gear? Cause if not cops are gonna be hard pressed generally to get something that's even remotly in uniform for duty.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I always have bad feelings when I go through that tunnel. Last time I went through, there was a really bad single car accident and no one had responded to the scene at the time. I don't know if it was oil from the wreck or what but as I was passing, I spun up the tire so bad because of how slippery the tunnel was.

RIP

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
ASCI_Blue said:
Do PD's issue gear? Cause if not cops are gonna be hard pressed generally to get something that's even remotly in uniform for duty.

No,most PD's do not issue gear.

I've talk to quite a few chips though and they all have the same lame excuse why they don't need it.They seem to think that because they have extra training they're a better rider than the rest of us and won't ever go down.

Maybe the loss of this man's life will open some eyes in the Pd's around the country becuse we will never know if a quaility jackett would have helped him or not.Chances are,he didn't have one on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts