Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Never buy bikes from 3rd world countries.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
I don't know if they're "bad", but they just can't compete with the Japs...Their power is down, their weight it up, and their rep is yet to be fully established...I really like some of the new designs, but the overall package dosen't measure up...

I will say that they are getting better, year after year, but so do the Japs...And the Triumphs are playing catch up...

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
Overall they are a good bike, just not exactly on the same page as the jap bikes. After all a triumph did win the isle of man last year. Part of it I think is they don't run major advertising with the rags so big surprise they aren't ever in the rags comparos. Every single perosn i have ever met that has a triumph loves their bike and would not trade it for anything else. Another bode of confidence i have for them is that I went and signed up for test rides for when the new models came out. The dealer actually called me and invited me to come test ride one of their bikes. I took four for a ride that day, and they invited me to come back to their cook out. Since I have been to like three or four of these cook out fun days that mostly include triumph guys but all bikes are welcome. I've also heard triumph has excellent customer service. I'll tell ya what i've never been invited to cook out and test rides by suzuki.........

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what did u think of them in comparision to the japs? or did u only ride a triumph

·
Registered
138 Posts
What Triumph are you interested in?

I bought my TT new in 00'. Put money down before I'd even seen one. Haven't had any regrets since. There were a couple recalls (clutch cable, sidestand bolts, sprag clutch bolts) but beyond that the bike has been utterly reliable. I currently have 17,000 miles with NO problems. Although the TT has been discontinued, the Daytona 600 is basically a re-vamped TT and as such has benefited from 4 years and one race season of developement. As was mentioned above, a Daytona 600 won at the Isle of Man in 2003.

The Speed 4 basically trounces the other contenders in the naked 600 field (Honda 599, Yamaha FZ 600). Better brakes, fully adjustable suspension, stronger acceleration, etc. all for less than the Honda and the same price as the Yamaha. It is not a beginner friendly bike - it's basically a TT with no fairing.

The Daytona 955i can't be directly compared to the Japanese liter bikes. It uses a 3 cylinder motor compared to the Japanese 4's, and a single-sided swingarm compared to the conventional units on the Japanese bikes. It blends the torque of a twin with the top end rush of a 4, has a beautiful exhaust note, and makes an excellent street bike. The ergonomics are friendlier than those of the Japanese literbikes - more street oriented than track oriented. It'll still cook - quarter mile times are in the low 10's.

Best part about owning a Triumph is that you don't see "your" bike on every corner. I have yet to see a Daytona 600 on the road. I have NEVER encountered another 00' black/yellow TT in the 4 years I have been riding mine.

Sportbikes these days are separated by just a few pounds and a few horsepower. Each DOES has a different personality and each has strengths and weaknesses. Sit on a few bikes, take a test ride (Triumph is generally pretty liberal about test rides), and pick whatever bike sends tingles down your spine.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Yeah I must say I'd get a Daytona 600 just for the originality.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
I have to tell the truth and say that at the time I thought my 98 zx-6r handled better than the 955i. I rode the tt the fist year it came out and it had really bad throttle response. If you were off throttle or just barely on and then slowly rolled on it seemed the injection ecu didn't know how to handle that and just opened the injectors all the way. seems like they fixed thAt the next year. Rode the speed triple and i LOVED the motor in that thing and the handling but didn't like getting my ass kicked by the wind at 120 mph. That thing has gobs of torque and nice roll on power. Really makes a good street fighter/hooligan bike. Like said above that triple is really a unique motor. Pretty much all their bikes are pretty comfy. When it comes down to it I don't feel that any of thier bikes can match the japs at this time without mods. I have an 01 gsxr 750 now. No way even the 955i could touch that bike. If I could afford two bikes a triumph would be my second one though. Just being around the other triumph riders and how good the dealers treat ya is worth it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I love my Sprint ST and plan on getting another Triumph some day. Like others mentioned, they aren't bad bikes. They just don't match up to most Japanese bikes on paper. In the real world, I think they work better than most Japanese counterparts.

Plus, you won't meet another one every single day.

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
L8 Braker said:
their rep is yet to be fully established...

um...their reputation is established. i beleive they have been making motorcycles since before any of the modern jap bikes. what about triumph isnt established?

btw thats not a flame or smart ass remark, i just wanted to know what you mean by that.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
I do believe that triumph is the oldest brand name made.....I know they are older than harley. BSA might have been around before them but I don't think so....

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
kranok said:
. what about triumph isnt established?

btw thats not a flame or smart ass remark, i just wanted to know what you mean by that.
1. Established contenders against the Jap bikes...They (Triumphs) are making great strides year after year but the Jap bikes do the same...And the Triumph has alot of catching up to do...

2. I hear ya, I'm open minded and didn't take your view in a bad way...Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the bikes, I even like the distinctive look of the 600...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The original Triumph went out of business some time in the sixties, I think. From what I understand, the Triumph operating now really has no connection other than buying the name.

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
I love my Triumph TT600 and while it may not have the performance numbers to satisfy some spec sheet racers out there, it handles and brakes like a dream and its distinctive.

You will rarely see another triumph on the road, much less your own model and look (like gpTT said I've never seen another tt when ive been riding mine and ive seen another once while driving the cage) I highly doubt a suzuki rider can say the same unless they live in montana or some place like that (no disrespect to suzuki riders, I like the bikes suzuki brings to the mix but everyone and their mom has one where I live)

It's a whole different element riding a Triumph and there's always plenty of friendly people to meet in RAT (the riders association kinda like Harley's HOG except without loud cruisers and vikings on wheels) theres always a group ride or organized track day to be had, its just a new experience. :cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Great bikes......but they don't make a beginner sized sport bike.......you KNEW it was coming. :twofinger

BTW, just like all other Euro manufacturers, they encourage you to demo their products, Triumph practically INSISTS on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The original Triumph went from 1902 to 1983, where the current owner bought the name and scrapped everything else. They began building modern motorcycles in 1991, and importing them to the USA in 1995.

I have alittle over 100,000 miles on 3 different new Triumphs since 1998. I've experienced no more problems than any comperable mileage bike built anywhere, including Japan. So what if it doesn't cut the fast lap that year. You buy the bike that does that every year? Have fun if you do. But I'd rather buy something that touches me emotionally, and does everything I need it to. Triumphs do that for me, and I love to ride mine.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts