Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going tomorrow to look at my first sportbike. Its a 1998 triumph daytona 595 with 9k miles on it.. An older guy owns it and says he is saleing due to hearth problems.. He said it runs great but hasnt been cranked in 9 months. I dont want to buy it without test riding it. But i also dont want to work on his bike if im not buying it.. What should i do help me out..

Whit

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Just make sure the battery has a good charge and put some air in the tires. Those bikes are tough, it'll start. Might want to make sure it's got some fresh gas in it also.

I have 4 of them. Trust me- it'll start.

Also- HORRIBLE first bike. You know what thing is 955cc's, right? Not 595 as the name would imply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think i can just take a batter with me and it will all be all good. I can get if for under 2k.. Im a fat boy i need a big bike.. Anythin else i need to look into before purchess it.

Whit

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A 98 with only 9 thousand miles on it? That thing's a baby! If he's selling it cheap you have a great ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to stop at wally tomarrow and get a new battery. should i also drain the gas in the tank.. In the pics he sent me the chain looks rusty any problems there..

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Just jump it from a car. No need to spend money yet. I have doubts that it will start up as 9 months is plenty of time for the fuel system to gum up. FI bikes do better in this regard than carbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do i need to worry about the gas in the tank being gummy if so what mesures do i need to take to insure i dont fubar the bike.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Just jump it from a car. No need to spend money yet. I have doubts that it will start up as 9 months is plenty of time for the fuel system to gum up. FI bikes do better in this regard than carbs.
She's fuel injected. Could not tell from your post if you knew that or not (saying it would be better because it was fuel injected, or saying it would be better if it was)- but for the OP's knowledge, it is.

The way the fuel system is on those generation bikes, there's an inlet at one end of the fuel rail and an outlet at the other end of the fuel rail, so fresh gas is CONSTANTLY getting pumped through the entire rail as the fuel pump is running.

I had a 1997 model that had been sitting 6 years. I hit the quick-connect on the rail when putting the tank back on and the entire rail was still pressurized. My hands got covered in nasty old gas.

I had fresh gas in the tank, so that makes a difference. Still- I figured there was NO way it was going to start. But I'll be damned- first try, fired right up.

I have also had mine sit for 6 months at a time without running it. No problems.

Seriously- as long as there is a fresh charge, this is NOTHING that will keep these things from starting.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
im going to stop at wally tomarrow and get a new battery. should i also drain the gas in the tank.. In the pics he sent me the chain looks rusty any problems there..
Well- I mean, you're GOING to need a new chain. And a new battery. And fresh fluids all around.

But if you just want to start the thing and take it around the block first, then whatever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you i am going first thing in the morning to look at it when i get home ill post the pics he sent me. I just want to run it around the block before i pay for it.. I cant buy any vehicle till i know for sure it runs.. Thanks for all the in put.

WHit

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
thank you i am going first thing in the morning to look at it when i get home ill post the pics he sent me. I just want to run it around the block before i pay for it.. I cant buy any vehicle till i know for sure it runs.. Thanks for all the in put.

WHit
Sounds good, man!

Where are you located, by the way?

If you DO end up getting it and every have any problems or need any parts, I have a trailer with like 5 of everything for that bike in it.

Now I just need to get off my ass and put one together to ride. I SERIOUSLY regret selling the one I was riding, but I needed the money to be able to move. Ah well.....

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Wow- she's a little beat up, and that tank does not match the rest of the bodywork, but it looks to be in decent condition overall.

Might be able to talk him down a bit on the price. I sold mine in PERFECT shape for 2800 last year, and that thing needs at least $300 in parts (chain, battery, a few odds and ends)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IT looks a little dirty to me dont see any major body work.. What all am i missing besideds the chain. He said it came stock with that red tank but i cant find any more like that. I can get it for 1800. I just cant buy it without know what all i have to replace. If i have to dump much more money it in i might just pass and get a gxxr or cbr

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
IT looks a little dirty to me dont see any major body work.. What all am i missing besideds the chain. He said it came stock with that red tank but i cant find any more like that. I can get it for 1800. I just cant buy it without know what all i have to replace. If i have to dump much more money it in i might just pass and get a gxxr or cbr
Hard to tell what it needs without seeing it in person. You'd be all right for 1800 bucks. Assuming it runs. I mean- if it ran before it was parked it will run. But maybe there's a reason it was parked.

And no- did not come with that tank stock. It's a stock tank from a different color bike. I have one of the red ones and three of the black ones that are SUPPOSED to go on that bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He allegaly parked it last summer and then had heart surgery in august. What kinda deal can you get me on a black tank lol...

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Unless you are a mechanic I wouldn't recommend this for a first bike, them things had quite a few issues if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
See, I'd get the thing. At 1800 bucks it won't take much to get it going. Bring some premium fuel with ya. Or just trailer it home. It's really a judgement call though, do you trust the man's word? If he says there weren't any problems, then you're getting a pretty good deal. I'd try to get it running by draining the tank, adding some premium fuel and some Seafoam for a couple tanks full, to see if it cleans out the residue in the carbs. The chain looks salvagable to me too. Heck, offer him 1600 as is! Good luck! By the way, I do hope the guy is doing okay, I feel for him having to stop riding because of a health condition. That really sucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
+1 that money for a daytona is a steal. i would give it a good once over and if all looks good scoop it up. 9 months is a long time but it shouldn't take much to fire it other than fresh fuel and charged battery. good luck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts