Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Flyin' Low
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next summer, i will be buying a new bike. Until recently, I haven't really thought about the Triumph Daytona 650. It's really starting to grow on me. It seems like a more relaxed bike with a little more upright riding position than say the "true" 600ss. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about this bike that would be worth sharing?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I rode a 600 Daytoona last year and thought it was a damn fine ride. Haven't riden the 650, but it has to help a non-existent low end on the old one.

Granted, it's not the class winner. But on real roads with real ripples, pot holes, patch strips and our common cack, it makes a lot of sense.

I found it very comfy and very very entertaining at high revs.

It doesn't flip into a turn quite as quick as lighter gear, but it's quicker than most litre bikes and still feels light enough.

But my wife says I'm an asshole (and I believe her), so don't take my word for it. Most Trumpy dealers offer demo rides. Do it!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
They are also a little b***** than your average 600cc bike, so if you're of the taller nature, it would work well for you.

Their high compression engine is kinda weird. Too high for my blood.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If I was buying a new 4 cyl. bike, that would be the one. I find it much more comfortable to sit on than the 600ss bikes. I commute alot on my bike, and that is a big consideration for me. I have not ridden one yet, but for the real world use, haven't really heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Bad Habit said:
If I was buying a new 4 cyl. bike, that would be the one. I find it much more comfortable to sit on than the 600ss bikes. I commute alot on my bike, and that is a big consideration for me. I have not ridden one yet, but for the real world use, haven't really heard anything bad about them.
Yea, if I was buying a 3rd bike, that would be it as well - smaller, lighter but still comfortable to commute on... But they'd have to offer it in different colors than bright red and bright yellow.

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
User Name said:
Yea, if I was buying a 3rd bike, that would be it as well - smaller, lighter but still comfortable to commute on... But they'd have to offer it in different colors than bright red and bright yellow.
Ya i agree with you, the 2 colors stink, theyd need black atleast

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Most reviews I've read say the bump really didn't affect mid range power very much. Weird.

Anyway, it's supposed to be a great all around bike, plus you won't see one everywhere you go.

The biggest downside would be that it's not the best bike to start on.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you can be patient, you can wait for the year end closeouts in the Daytona 650 models from 2005 - this is reportedly the last year Triumph will be producing four cylinder motorcycles. 2006 is rumored to bring about a 675cc triple. Which will completely and utterly annihilate the old motor's lack of midrange and low end. It'll make a very, very good all-rounder if they keep the old Daytona's ergonomics - they're quite relaxed. It should make a fantastic everyday-rider supersport. And if they keep the price level at the current $8000 even, it'd even undercut the Japanese supersports by a few hundred bucks, too...

·
Registered
600 Posts
TTsixxer said:
Triumph grearboxes are slushboxes. Sorry but your transmission will feel the same no matter how many miles you put on it.
Nah, mine's actually pretty smooth.... it probably took the full 13,000 miles that are on it to get that way, but it's smooth! :lao

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Repeater said:
Nah, mine's actually pretty smooth.... it probably took the full 13,000 miles that are on it to get that way, but it's smooth! :lao
Trust me, you just got used to it. Mine has over 16k miles and it's as clunky and harsh as if when it had 5k miles. Ride a japanese bike, especially a suzuki and you'll realize how lousy the triumph transmission is.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Triumph grearboxes are slushboxes. Sorry but your transmission will feel the same no matter how many miles you put on it.
My Sprint gearbox was always pretty bad, but my new Speed Triple's gearbox is almost as nice as my SV's.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
One thing though, my transmission although it's clunky, it seems to be bullet-proof. I have quite a few track days and drag racing passes and I almost always don't use the clutch to upshift and I rarely get false neutrals. SV's shift VERY nice, the difference between my best friend's 02 svs and my triumph is like night and day.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Only clutch to downshift and the upshifts are smooth. Getting into first from a stop is where the "wearing in" I am refering to needs to come in. Small blip of the throttle and havn't missed a upshift yet and they are smooth.

Been alot of references to "character" in a bike when it comes to triumph which to me means production flaws etc. I havn't experienced any besides what I have already spoke about. Smooth bike with a wicked side if you choose to expose it. Reminds me of the way I like my women, nice and cute in public but a freak in the sack :banana

1 - 20 of 30 Posts