Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can everyone tell me about these bikes? The particular one I'm looking at is a 2001 model.

I used to have a 2001 r6 but me being a fearless 18 year old and not being able to control my ego resulted in me nearly killing myself countless times. I never went down but had far too many close calls. Not to mention the fact that I was running from cops all the time and even then managed to collect quite a few points on my liscence. After a few track days and some serious thinking, I sold the bike knowing that it belonged on a racetrack in a controlled environment and not with some nut like myself ripping around city streets. What's the point of telling you all that? I don't know, basically just to say that I do have streetbike experience (plus a lot of dirtbike experience) and I can't ride something that is fast.

I sold the bike about 6 months ago and I've gotten the itch to ride again badly. I can't stop thinking about it. However, this time, I want something different. I definately don't want a sportbike. I really want a new Triumph Bonneville. I love the styling of it and it looks like it would be a really fun bike to blast around the city streets on. I also really like the image the bike puts foward. Kind of a retro, european image.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
They have a long history. They go back to the roots of triumph. If you get one you will have alot of older hardcore riders checking out your bike and giving you compliments. I rode on a test ride at a triumph get together once. seemed like an ok bike for its intended purpose. I mean it sure as heck aint no sportbikebike. But it was a comfortable well handling bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My uncle has an 05 bonneville thruxton. Very fun bike to ride. Seating position is very similar to a sportbike (low bars and raised pegs) I believe he has re jetted it and changed the mufflers. Power was about 65 HP and now around 80. Its no slouch. Handles very well also. I think he paid around 7000 for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I know it's no sportbike. I would probably miss the power and handling of a sportbike but I can't control myself on one. I plan on getting another sportbike that will be a wrecked bike for track only when the new track here opens up which will be in about 2 years. They started construction on it last fall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would get a Thruxton. I've been looking at them more and more. My girl wants a bike and I'm trying to convince her it would be a good idea. (Not only that I would get to ride it around). Plus it's that old cafe-racer style. Gotta dig that.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
err0r said:
I would get a Thruxton. I've been looking at them more and more. My girl wants a bike and I'm trying to convince her it would be a good idea. (Not only that I would get to ride it around). Plus it's that old cafe-racer style. Gotta dig that.

Guy at work got one. Cool looking bike. I wouldn't mind one as a SECOND bike, but don't think I could do it as my only...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you have a dealer any where near your area, stop by for a test ride. My dealer almost always has a Thruxton and Bonneville available.

Before the new Speed Triple came out, I was intending to keep my SV and buy a Bonneville for around town riding. It doesn't have alot of punch, but it is great for city riding and handles well enough. The brakes leave a bit to be desired, but they are ok considering they aren't on a real sporty bike.

The Thruxton has a bit more power, and it looks better, in my opinion. It's quite a bit more aggressive, though. I'd probably go with the Bonneville.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

There is a world class race track opening soon (they start paving this fall) in a city that is only an hour away from me. Once that opens up, I'm planning on buying either a used, race-prepped 600 or a 2-stroke 125gp bike. Until then I just want something safe and stylish to tool around the streets on. I've also been thinking about motards but I know I would be in trouble constantly as my front tire would never touch the pavement if I owned one of those. I raced motocross for qutie a few years so I feel that if I had a motard, my confidence level would too high and I would do stupid things on it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Bonneville is a fantastic bike. It's lighter than a cruiser, has a standard seating position instead of a cruiser or sportbike one, and is very comfortable. The power to weight is better than most cruisers and has more ground clearance, thus handles much better. No, it's far from being a sportbike, but the styling is fantastic. A very nice ride - the blacked out models retail at $7000 new, the old ones usually go for about $4500.

If you want a bit more grunt, check out the Bonneville T100. It has an 865cc motor instead of the base 790cc unit, and has some really nice two-tone, hand-pinstriped paint jobs to go with it, too. Just a thought.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
If the new Bonnies perform as well as my old Commando, then they have more than enough giddyup to get a guy in trouble.

The operator controls the machine, don't you know. It ain't the other way around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts