Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode a shadow 750 for a few years while I was in college, graduated, and a few months ago bought an 02 955i. I have been playing around with it a little, I can clutch up and power up wheelies, but my landings are pretty rough sometimes.

As far as the bike is concerned, from what my friends have told me, the 3 cylinder engine or my gearing is poorly suited for wheelies. My friend can hop his GSX1000R up at 5-6k rpms, while I am doing 8k+ for mine. I may of course be doing things wrong. I am just looking for impressions.

In any case, I also think that I am going to drop a few grand on a damaged 600 and turn it into a stunt bike. Since I paid cash for the 955i, and it is essentially new, I think I will be better off picking up something that I can beat up and not be worried about. Any suggestions on what would be an ideal bike for this goal? Or is any CBR GSXR YZF going to be about the same, 96-99ish?

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
You SHOULD be able to do anything you want to do on the 955. I've been doing stupid stuff on 955s (including a Sprint ST) for 5 years now. I dont know how to clutch it up, but the torque from the 3-cylinder brings me up no problem. I run a -1 front sprocket and that's it. Standups in 2nd require a bounce at about 65mph. Sit-downs in 1st are as easy as any 1k. 2nd gear sit-downs require a little bar english, but they come up and carry no problem. High chairs are only available to me in 1st (no clutching 2nd up), but once you are up, they are clean..besides the plastic tank with a crown that makes your ass slide all over the place. No way to bash in plastic to create a 'seat'. Unless your bike is running funny, it should come up with no problems just chopping the throttle in first or 2nd. it'll never be as nimble or quick-to-go-skyward as any late-model GSXR1k, but if you practice enough, you'll be able to do anything they can do without spending the $$ on another bike.

However, if you're wanting to get into 'competitive' stunting and dedicate a bike just for playing that way..the 'umphs just aren't built for it. I dont know if yours has already been converted to the Single-Sided-Swing-Arm or not, but even if it hasn't..they just aren't light evenough to take seriously as a 'pure stunt' bike. It'd be the equivalent of using a 'Busa as a 100% stunter bike. Huge, Heavy and kinda gnarly without the plastic.

PM if you need any help.

Phil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts