Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
:lao You did read more than just my post, right? If not, go back and read the whole thread...I'll wait for you.

Done?

Right. Just being honest and sharing my experience - which it seems is pretty similar to what a lot of riders do/go-through. :eatpop

BTW - Do me a favor and go to Ted's and get a footlong then to Charlie the Butchers and have two beef on 'wecks. God I miss that food.
Well Jesus i am glade you know your good food =)

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I always wonder about this, people tend to say there is a magic thing that happens when you go to the track. You stop riding fast on the street. I don't dispute this, I've never been to the track with any of my sportbikes. I just don't have the itch.

I have tracked my car and it was fun but only in the way riding go-karts is fun. (but accelerated of course) It was a blast but didn't make me stop liking to drive a sports car fast on a twisty road. Its a very different thing to make an event of it, where you plan ahead, get all your stuff together, get instruction, learn all the rules. On a pleasure ride I just go wherever there are corners and take that at a speed that is fun for me. I wonder if it would be the same for the bike?

It's interesting that I've never broken triple digits in my Z28. But I did with my Z24 all the way up to the top speed governor at about 120. I did notice that after getting into Solo II autocrossing, I eventually stopped busting into the triples and also slowed up some of my street racing activities. I got my Z28 after getting into autocrossing so I guess that's sort of why I never explored anything above a hundred.

I did play around with my 10 doing around 120+ a couple of times. Once was on the highway with a clear stretch of road for a few seconds. The other time was out on a rural road to see what it was like to pin the throttle in first and second. Got up to about 90 or so in first, shifted into second, bike almost tosses me off of it with the power hit, and I get up to 120 in second before backing off. Again, after doing the track days, I haven't busted the "ton" on the street.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I consider myself a very level-headed rider, and ride my bike in much the same way I drive my car. I stay in my lane, go with the flow of traffic, obey the speed limits (for the most part haha), etc... But the GSXR 750 that I just got accelerates so effortlessly that is very tough NOT to hit triple digit speeds. If you're cruising on the freeway in sixth gear at say 75 - 80 (typical freeway traffic speed), all it takes is a short twist of the wrist and you're going 100mph. I can't imagine what a liter is like.

My YZF moves pretty well too, but you have to work at it more. You really have to make a concious decision "I'm going to crank it up to 100" to get there. Both bikes feel so planted and secure at high speeds. My first bike was an FZ6 and that thing was kinda scary at high speeds on the freeway.

So to make a long story short, I've done it too, though I try to reserve those shenanigans for the freeway at night (696 here locally is relatively blemish free and traffic is usually pretty light in the evening after say 11pm. It is also very well lit). I think the fastest I've ever gone was 110 mph. I'll do it for a second, then back off. That's enough for me.

·
STEALTH NINJA
262 Posts
Not gonna lie, I've hit triples on an empty backroad straight away and it does feel good but I'd never do it on the streets and especially with traffic. I think the main thing is to be concious of when and where you're doing it, know the road and all that. If you do it to show off or because someone else is doing it, that's when things can go tragically.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grats on your first triple digits! Once you get used to it you could come ride with me and my friends.. we were running about 160 between cars the other day in a school zone, it was awesome til we passed a cop, he looked pretty pissed when we threw our beer cans at his car as we blew by him (we were pretty wasted). The fun always ends when we hear a loud crash behind us though and then we gotta split up and hide... Good times...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah I think we've all been stupid at one time or another, it's just to tempting when you know that you could go 160 plus, and out accelerate a $200,000 plus supercar with a $10,000 dollar bike.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
Oh yeah.... here is a tip: don't listen to music you really like while riding on a long trip.

I did this a couple weekends ago and couldn't help but do 100 mph down the highway through traffic that was doing 70 mph. The worst part of it was that I was passing dumbasses who don't stay in the right lane on the shoulder, sometimes threading the needle, and sometimes in the right lane. I really don't know what got into me, I never ride like that, it was the first time I tried listening to music so that's probably what did it.
I still feel like a jack ass for that.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I think everyone eventually tries to go fast once or twice. Heck, I tried to see how fast my 1979 Lincoln Continental MkV could go. Downhill, it probably went close to, maybe, 100mph. I don't know the exact number, though, because the speedo maxes out at 75... I'm sure I wasted about 10 gallons of gasoline doing it, too.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
So, some of you may remember my first thread where I talked about getting the 02 F4i and how I am "different" and how I "would be responsible". Well, something about having a sportbike that brings out the best. After putting ~1,200+ miles on it without incident - my last day in Hawaii I was running late coming back from the North Shore. On the H2 doing about 70-75 (traffic flow is usually 60-65) - hit the H1 freeway and the car-pool lane and open her up to a bit over 110mph.

I gotta say, it felt great and scared the shit out of me at the same time. After about 2 minutes I actually had to tell myself "Slowdown, dumbass!". Back her down to 65mph and finished cruising home. Just goes to show ya, all you noobs who say you are different and you won't speed - bullshit. There WILL come a point where your bike whispers to you "Come on...let's go fast." :cheers
Of course you did.

If i had seen your thread i would have called you the filthy liar you are. :twofinger

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You think the moisture feels cooler?! You're loco, broski! HUMIDITY SUCKS!!!! I should know, I live on the East Coast, and when it's 90 degrees and 80% humidity it feels slow death. I'm sure 115 dry is ridiculous, but I wouldn't say 90 degrees with moisture would feel any cooler.
Living in Central FL, I assure you that heat without humidity is much worse. The air is stagnant here and seems to cover you with a blanket while it's 95. But when it's 95 with 0 humidity it sucks moisture from your body so fast it's tiring. It can be hard to walk a block.

I'd take humidity any day over zero humidity if it's 95 or over.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Of course you did.

If i had seen your thread i would have called you the filthy liar you are. :twofinger
Ha ha, well...to be fair I didn't have any intention of winding the bike up to those speeds. But, like others have said - it's almost too easy. That blast on the thruway got it out of my system for a while...especially when I started thinking about the things that could have happened. I could care less if I take myself out...but if I hit someone else, well, that I couldn't live with.

The attitude of some people on here is funny...I was on a freeway with very little traffic and wasn't threading in between cars or changing lanes. In fact, I stayed in my lane the entire ride home. There really isn't anything "safe" about doing double the speed limit - everyone knows that. But hell, some of y'all act like anyone that gets their bikes up to these speeds (or faster) are killing the baby Jesus or something. Calm down people, there are plenty of people in 2,500lb+++ cars/trucks that do these speeds and way over EVERY DAY. Save your righteous indignation and condemnation for those people.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Grats on your first triple digits! Once you get used to it you could come ride with me and my friends.. we were running about 160 between cars the other day in a school zone, it was awesome til we passed a cop, he looked pretty pissed when we threw our beer cans at his car as we blew by him (we were pretty wasted). The fun always ends when we hear a loud crash behind us though and then we gotta split up and hide... Good times...
:twofinger

·
Registered
238 Posts
>"But when it's 95 with 0 humidity it sucks moisture from your body so fast it's tiring. It can be hard to walk a block.

I'd take humidity any day over zero humidity if it's 95 or over."<

95 deg and low humidity is no problem, but I don't like 90/90 at all. However, my sister in Pompano is just the opposite. Never did understand her.

·
Registered
238 Posts
>>"If i had seen your thread i would have called you the filthy liar you are."<<

>"The attitude of some people on here is funny.."<

Seems like some aren't endowed with much in the way of social graces. Apparently he also knows how often you take a shower---.<g>

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
>"But when it's 95 with 0 humidity it sucks moisture from your body so fast it's tiring. It can be hard to walk a block.

I'd take humidity any day over zero humidity if it's 95 or over."<

95 deg and low humidity is no problem, but I don't like 90/90 at all. However, my sister in Pompano is just the opposite. Never did understand her.
It's the "grass is always greener" thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
LOL at the arbitrary speed limits people set for ZOMG YOU ARE EVIL AND DESERVE TO DIEEEEE!!!

150mph? 100mph? 70mph? 30mph?
You can die at any of those speeds.
Lighten up, Francis.

I hit 100mph every time I get on an onramp for the freeway. Full throttle through 5 gears then back it off into 6th and coast down to cruising speed and a perfect merge. A nice little hit of adrenalin to start my day! Of course, I am riding a slow ass SV. :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
LOL at the arbitrary speed limits people set for ZOMG YOU ARE EVIL AND DESERVE TO DIEEEEE!!!

150mph? 100mph? 70mph? 30mph?
You can die at any of those speeds.
Lighten up, Francis.
That is very poor logic.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's all a matter of what you are used to. If you have a bike that was made to run in the triple digits, sooner or later unless there is a lot of police presence or something else stopping you, that is what you will be riding at and it won't seem fast.

Crashing at triple digit speeds has a way of recalibrating your internal speedometer. Seeing the road traveling by under you will then remind you of what a great grinding wheel the world is and how delicate your skin is.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts