Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some of you may remember my first thread where I talked about getting the 02 F4i and how I am "different" and how I "would be responsible". Well, something about having a sportbike that brings out the best. After putting ~1,200+ miles on it without incident - my last day in Hawaii I was running late coming back from the North Shore. On the H2 doing about 70-75 (traffic flow is usually 60-65) - hit the H1 freeway and the car-pool lane and open her up to a bit over 110mph.

I gotta say, it felt great and scared the shit out of me at the same time. After about 2 minutes I actually had to tell myself "Slowdown, dumbass!". Back her down to 65mph and finished cruising home. Just goes to show ya, all you noobs who say you are different and you won't speed - bullshit. There WILL come a point where your bike whispers to you "Come on...let's go fast." :cheers

·
Registered
304 Posts
Agreed. I like the thrill of speed every once in a while. Then I remember the kids and wife at home and slow the hell down. Good thread!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Am I the only one that, at speeds over about 70mph, starts thinking about your chain; tires; etc. and what would happen if any one of them failed? It's odd, it seems about 65mph is my comfort threshold - any thing above that and my self-preservation module kicks in and I slow myself back down. I was actually kinda kicking myself for even opening it up as much as I did - in the middle of the day (a Saturday) with light traffic on the roads. Then again, I think to myself, it was the last time I will get to ride the bike for 40 days until it gets to Arizona - so I am kinda glad I finally opened her up and had a little fun...

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's why many people say that once you've been on the track, you tend to not do triple digits on the street. I'm not saying everyone is going to be this way. But for me, it's calmed me down a lot.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Am I the only one that, at speeds over about 70mph, starts thinking about your chain; tires; etc. and what would happen if any one of them failed? It's odd, it seems about 65mph is my comfort threshold - any thing above that and my self-preservation module kicks in and I slow myself back down.
I sometimes think about those things but then I remember that my maintenance habits would prevent that. Good maintenance = less problems.

·
Surf 'till it hurts!
793 Posts
Just goes to show ya, all you noobs who say you are different and you won't speed - bullshit. There WILL come a point where your bike whispers to you "Come on...let's go fast." :cheers

hell yea!

i am pretty self disciplined, and on my 250 I hit about 105ish

I had my zx-6r for about 3 months before hitting triple digits..

man oh man, everything up until 120ish feels just fine, but after 130 you really fucking feel the difference LOL

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Am I the only one that, at speeds over about 70mph, starts thinking about your chain; tires; etc. and what would happen if any one of them failed? It's odd, it seems about 65mph is my comfort threshold - any thing above that and my self-preservation module kicks in and I slow myself back down. I was actually kinda kicking myself for even opening it up as much as I did - in the middle of the day (a Saturday) with light traffic on the roads. Then again, I think to myself, it was the last time I will get to ride the bike for 40 days until it gets to Arizona - so I am kinda glad I finally opened her up and had a little fun...
Good topic. We all give in to the temptation eventually and then every once in a while (for me anyway).

When I first started riding, my horror-fantasy was the front wheel falling off. :eek:nfloor No reason to worry about it, but I did for a while (weeks maybe).

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I think I've gone over 110 mph in everything I've owned, included my Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel w/a 6" lift kit and 37" tires

·
Surf 'till it hurts!
793 Posts
Am I the only one that, at speeds over about 70mph, starts thinking about your chain; tires; etc. and what would happen if any one of them failed?

Then again, I think to myself, it was the last time I will get to ride the bike for 40 days until it gets to Arizona -..

I think about the same, but then tend to calm my nerves by telling my self there isn't much you can do at that point :(

Man, you are going from OAHU to land locked arizona??? :( :( :(

hell, I traveled to the islands twice and every time i come back to east coast florida I am still kickin my self :(

·
Finally got that ticket
744 Posts
Some good points. I never understand people on here who get an ultra-fast sportbike then claim to ride slowly and responsibly 100% of the time. Opening it up every once in a while is OK, I think. You just have to wait until you have enough experience to handle it, pick the right moments, and know that you are always taking some risk.

If you ride like that all the time, statistics are gonna catch up with you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've been riding for two years and just opened her up a couple weeks ago. I95 3 or 4 am, hadn't seen a car for about 20 minutes and she was begging for it. I got up to 145 on the speedo, saw an red splotchy object inbetween the lanes that was a larger animal and that scared the piss out of me so I slowed down. I felt stupid the whole way home.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
That's why many people say that once you've been on the track, you tend to not do triple digits on the street. I'm not saying everyone is going to be this way. But for me, it's calmed me down a lot.
Absolutely. It worked great for me. I no longer feel the need to wick it up on the street much.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I first started riding, my horror-fantasy was the front wheel falling off. :eek:nfloor No reason to worry about it, but I did for a while (weeks maybe).
:lao Yeah, that thought would kinda be something that would haunt you a bit.

I think I've gone over 110 mph in everything I've owned, included my Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel w/a 6" lift kit and 37" tires
Here, just for you:

:twofinger

I think about the same, but then tend to calm my nerves by telling my self there isn't much you can do at that point

Man, you are going from OAHU to land locked arizona???

hell, I traveled to the islands twice and every time i come back to east coast florida I am still kickin my self
Yeah, that is true...though tire failures and catastrophic drivetrain failures seem to be pretty rare on these machines.

I know, I miss Hawaii already - this is just a temporary business move - I will be going back in about 7 months.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interesting...I'm looking to start doing track days here in AZ when my bike gets here. Looks like this is a pretty nice course and from what I hear their classes are great too.
I would say any track time is valuable....doesn't really matter who it's with. Many people have their preferences on which track events and schools to attend.

I've gone to two 2 day camps with Keith Code's Superbike School. I can say my riding has exploded in proficiency from doing this. I'm getting less spooked when I'm cornering. The near individual attention I get is great. And their system is very logical. When I first started I had issues with setting up entry speed and driving out of the corners. After the second 2 day camp, I found myself driving harder and earlier on the throttle coming off the apex of the corner. So much so that I was able to wing it out going down the front straight at VIR in 5th gear at about 10-12,000 RPMs on the school's 08 ZX-6R. The stupid fast riders in the camp were nailing 6th before the braking markers going in to turn 1.

The biggest thing is to gain comfort and confidence at speed. You're going to have a tough time doing it safely on the street. Being able to explore your own limits and push them further is much safer in a controlled environment like the track. You make a mistake on the track and chances are you'll be able to recover no problem. You make a mistake on the street and chances are you'll be someone's hood ornament or guard rail/utility pole garnish.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Yeah, its not the bike. Before bikes I went into triple digits with my mustang, DSM, audi and even my freakin civic.

Its not age either. I'm almost 34 and opened my VFR up to hit 150+ indicated. You just get better at picking your spots and not getting tickets for it. :twofinger

Stay safe. Ish. As my wife says (usually to justify something bad) "You need something from life."

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some good points. I never understand people on here who get an ultra-fast sportbike then claim to ride slowly and responsibly 100% of the time. Opening it up every once in a while is OK, I think. You just have to wait until you have enough experience to handle it, pick the right moments, and know that you are always taking some risk.

If you ride like that all the time, statistics are gonna catch up with you.
Exactly. Like we all say - it all about how much risk you are willing to take on and how well you can manage that risk.

I can honestly say - after 1,200 miles I have the experience to handle 110mph in a straight line on a thruway with ideal conditions - however, add something like someone swerving into my lane; headshake; etc - I'm not sure I would have had enough experience to handle that correctly. Though, one doesn't really know until you are put into that situation...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would say any track time is valuable....doesn't really matter who it's with. Many people have their preferences on which track events and schools to attend.

I've gone to two 2 day camps with Keith Code's Superbike School. I can say my riding has exploded in proficiency from doing this. I'm getting less spooked when I'm cornering. The near individual attention I get is great. And their system is very logical. When I first started I had issues with setting up entry speed and driving out of the corners. After the second 2 day camp, I found myself driving harder and earlier on the throttle coming off the apex of the corner. So much so that I was able to wing it out going down the front straight at VIR in 5th gear at about 10-12,000 RPMs on the school's 08 ZX-6R. The stupid fast riders in the camp were nailing 6th before the braking markers going in to turn 1.

The biggest thing is to gain comfort and confidence at speed. You're going to have a tough time doing it safely on the street. Being able to explore your own limits and push them further is much safer in a controlled environment like the track. You make a mistake on the track and chances are you'll be able to recover no problem. You make a mistake on the street and chances are you'll be someone's hood ornament or guard rail/utility pole garnish.
Awesome. Posts like this really get me excited to start doing trackdays and track classes - I see it as a "grown up" MSF. All that instruction just builds and builds to make you a safer and better rider. Plus, it looks like racing on the tracks is shitloads of fun too! :cheers

+1 on the confidence in cornering. I find it hard to push my limits and really learn proper cornering on the street - where I have to worry about gravel/sand/debris and cagers. It the main thing I am really looking to take from the track classes...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts