Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently bought a 1995 zx7 and now second gear is slipping. How hard is it to change the transmission in a sport bike. I have had some experience working on small dirtbikes but just want to see how much of a job it will be. The dealer wants 1200.00 to fix but i can get a tranny for 100-200 online.

Thanks for the help
Craig

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Well the motor will have to come out and the cases will then have to be split. If he doesn't post, try to pm benjester. He just did a 2nd gear fix on his R6.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah just cause a gear is slipping doesn't mean your tranny is trashed. Could be your plates/springs.

·
All new kind of FAST!!
286 Posts
yeah, you have to pull the engine out of the bike... literally disassemble the entire thing.... split the cases, as that is where the actual transmission is. With a good book, and some knowledge from friends, things went pretty smoothly for me... plan on stripping out at least one bolt... lol.

Diamond and myself tore apart the engine in the fall, got everything together and reassembled it in the spring with the help of Jake, and RhythmsDJs... if you don't know what you are doing, get a really good manual, and plan on a couple weeks. It can be done in a weekend with enough prep work, and someone who knows what they are doing.

Shane makes a good point... if the clutch is just slipping, clutches are easy to do on sport bikes... it if is skipping or jumping out of gear, could be the tranny...

·
All new kind of FAST!!
286 Posts
You also might want to consider replacing all the gears in the tranny as long as you have it open... that is what i did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. The bike slips out of second gear into nuetral, did some research and it seems like it is a fairly known issue. I plan on replacing all the gears so I don't have to do it again. Is there one repair manual thats better than another? I have a few friends that will help out and they have replaced the transmissions in dirt bikes so I think we should be ableto get thru it. Will this affect anything else if I wait until winter to do it? Thanks again

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
I’d suggest buying the actual Kawasaki service manual. I bought one for my zx9. It costs about 30 bucks but it was money well spent. The 30 I spent on the manual probably saved a grand in being able to fix things on my own.

·
All new kind of FAST!!
286 Posts
just oposite of malik there, the yamaha service manual i have is complete garbage... I have a one of the other common books... diamond bought it for me... can't remember the brand.... probably hanes or something... but it is much better.

well, depending on how bad it is jumping out... when I broke my bike, it wasn't even rideable since I also broke a spring... my bike was jumping out of every gear except 1st and 6th... but if it only jumps out every so often, you could probably wait... not recommended... but possibly...

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
cski10 said:
I have a few friends that will help out and they have replaced the transmissions in dirt bikes so I think we should be ableto get thru it.
Just so you know, the disassembly and assembly of a inline 4 cylinder engine is about 1000 times more complex than that of a dirtbike. I found this out the hard way when I got to help strip out bolts on benjesters bike. :eek:

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
*thinks about pulling a transmission and splitting the cases, then throws up*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts