Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help me out. I just bought a 90 cbr 600, and I'm trying to get all the little bugs worked out. I've only put like 500 miles on her, but I think recently it started to make some tranny noises. I don't notice it until it comes up to temp. It makes a metalic whirring sound, very much like a car might after a differential gear change. It doesnt make the sound while decelerating. But if I'm at a steady rpm, just cruising, i can hear it. When I accelerate, I can hear it for a couple grand, kind of sounds like a super charger.

Also, I wanted to know if it was common when downshifting from 2 to 1 for the transmission to feel kind of loopy. It's kind of an off balance feeling, like the clutch basket is slightly off centered or something. Then there is the clunk/lurch shifting from neutral to 1st, but I think that might be normal.

Hope you can give me some good guesses. I'm going for about a 250 mile cruise tomorrow, and I'm a little concerned. Don't have the cash right now to tear the tranny apart, but might do some rebuilding this winter.

Thanks

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Cross your fingers at this point. Too late to really worry about it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan'sR1 said:
Cross your fingers at this point. Too late to really worry about it.
Why is it too late? I'm happy with the purchase, it really was a steal, but I still would like to troubeshoot the issues that it does have. Buying a 15 year old bike, I knew it would have a few issues. It's only got 12xxx miles, but who knows how the last owner cared for it. Right now I'm slowly working through all the maintanance checks up to 12,000, doing them whether it needs it or not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I just had a thought. The day that my bike started making the whining sound, was the first day I rode it with the new chain and sprockets. I got an RK x-ring chain and my rear sprocket is aluminum. Is it possible the new chain is making the sound.

It's not to tight, got about 1" of play in the middle. I would say it's the chain, but I would think it would get quiter when it got warm, not louder. Or maybe the aluminum sprocket, since it's a less dense metal, makes noises when it gets warm? I don't know, just guesses.

Anyways, please chime in if you know what I'm saying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MT Wallet said:
I don't know enough about bikes sorry...but here's a bump for ya
Thanks for that. :cheers All the mechanics must be cruising this weekend. :fiddy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts