Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying my first bike on Thursday. I finally found the bike I wanted at the right price. The only downside is that I've got to drive to Philadelphia to pick it up. I'm taking a truck and a cargo trailer and I was wondering if anyone had any tips they could pass along about the best way to secure a bike on a trailer.

Thanks in advance.

Oh...about the bike. 1999 Kaw. Ninja 500r. 16k miles, exhaust, jetted carbs, pretty red color

Jayson

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
it'd prolly fit in the truck w/ the tailgate down

i recommend finding a "canyon dancer" and 4 tie down straps, and some way to get the bike in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It'll fit in the back of the truck. You just need a ramp (mine is plywood reinforced with 2x4s) and 4 tie down straps.

Get the truck going on a downhill as to get the tailgate more level with the ground where the ramp touches, and roll the bike straight across. If you use the tie downs right, the bike will be so firmly in place it will almost be like it is part of the truck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A canyon dancer was suggested to me on one of my local forums. Does anyone know how much they run. I guess this would be a good investment given I'll prob be trucking the bike around every now and then.

Thanks guys.
Jayson

·
old member
13,079 Posts
TheHub02ss said:
A canyon dancer was suggested to me on one of my local forums. Does anyone know how much they run. I guess this would be a good investment given I'll prob be trucking the bike around every now and then.

Thanks guys.
Jayson
check this link for Canyon Dancers and tie downs:

http://www.cyclegear.com/dept.cfm?L1=2&L2=63

Canyon Dancers are at the bottom of the page. Use ratcheting tie downs as they're much less likely to work loose. With the Canyon Dancer, you'll need 4 tie downs. Whether you use the truck (careful with the ramp) or a trailer, you'll need a tie down point at each corner of the bike either on the sides or floor of the bed or trailer.

Tighten up the tie-downs until the bike suspension is compressed to about 1/3 to 1/2 of its travel and have each corner pulling toward the corners of the bed or trailer with the front wheel up against the front of the bed/trailer. As someone already said, properly secured, the bike won't move.

BTW, good choice on the bike, especially the color.

·
Registered
355 Posts
go to cycle gear and get the black ramp. It is $39. The canyon dancers everyone is talking about is around $18. They also sell the tie down straps... I'm not 100% sure on the prices of those.

Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
cruzinZ said:
go to cycle gear and get the black ramp. It is $39.
Where is this black ramp for $39. I can only find TRAVEL RITE TRI-FOLD RAMPS for 149.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
RayOSV said:
check this link for Canyon Dancers and tie downs:

http://www.cyclegear.com/dept.cfm?L1=2&L2=63

Tighten up the tie-downs until the bike suspension is compressed to about 1/3 to 1/2 of its travel and have each corner pulling toward the corners of the bed or trailer with the front wheel up against the front of the bed/trailer. As someone already said, properly secured, the bike won't move.
Yeh be careful not to overtighten. if you crank it down tight you will blow your fork seals. otherwise I have had good experience with my canyon dancer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts