Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going to the track since 2000, and yesterday was my first time riding the track in the rain. It was to be expected having just moved to the Pacific Northwest.

I ran my Meztler M3's like I've always run on the track. Holy shit was I slow. I've ridden on the street in the rain before and always just took it easy. The track was nuts, everyone else it seems had rain race tires and was running like it was no big deal. I on the other hand was shitting myself and sliding all over the place. I slide the front and the rear multiple times, thankfully never together. In any case I learned a lot riding the track in the rain for the half day that I did, and if I continue to ride the track in the rain I think I'll give some rain tires a try.. DOTs get the job done, but you sure can't push them.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I am still amazed at how fast the pro's ride in the rain. This always impressed me the most about their skills and confidence. I'm nothing special at the track as is, I'm a joke when it's wet. The physics keep relaying over and over in my head and telling me I'm going to lose it mid-turn or on the corner exit as soon as I get on the gas.

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
my first track day it started raining in our first session on our own (i was in a class and this was the first session we didn't have to stay in a single file line behind instructors) and i was effing scurred...i've ridden on the rain on the street but i never am taking turns at 80mph!

aside from it making me nervous on the track, it did feel nice to have a litte rain cool me down!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've never ridden in a constant rain but I have ridden at Infineon on a cold, February day when it was lightly raining. Just enough to get a film of water on the track (read: Sears is SLICK in this state)

I could count another skidmark off the track every lap I went around. Even at very moderate lean angles I could feel my Pilot Powers squirming around.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
DOTs are tough to ride in the rain. I've crashed a few times when we decided to use DOTs instead of rains. They give no warning.. next thing you know you are on your ass.

On the other hand- a good set of rain tires will blow you away in terms of grip and feel. You can brake nearly as hard in the wet, and drag knee if you have a decent set of rains. I will say this- wet conditions will show you how to be smooth.

·
Registered
213 Posts
my day in the rain was just the opposite of yours, It was my first day ever at the track (pocono fusa) pouring rain, 3am I call my friend in hawaii who used to race and tell him I am not going he tells me you have to go it will teach you so much like how to be smoother on the gas and brakes , so I did the day on a new zx10r with stock qualifiers on it and it was great I just did what the instructors told me and everything went fine, now I didn't know how to push it yet so I was ok but if I was in your shoes and had done trackdays before and was pushing it it would probroblyhave freaked me out anyway the next trackday i did was sunny and 85 and i was so much faster and smoother that i was ridding better than i ever did and feel it was because of that day in the rain iv'e done 5 days since than and my next is oct 20 nj motorsports park thunderbolt which i have done a few weeks ago its a great new track and i can't wait but I still hope it doesn't rain haha

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
my only track day was in the rain for the first half, i think it helped me alot in getting comfortable with sliding, because when it dried out i was hauling ass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts