Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about doing a track day sometime before the season is over and am considering what gear I'll need to get. I've been riding for about 14 months now and I don't own any leather yet. I've been wearing a Gericke textile jacket and I've been wanting to get a leather jacket for the street as well.

So, what I am wondering is, should I get some sort of two piece suit so I can wear the jacket when I'm doing casual street riding? Is it a big sacrifice in safety to take a two piece suit to the track rather than a one piece? Whichever way I go, I want to have a leather jacket for the street so if I buy a one piece suit, I'll buy a separate jacket as well.

Does anybody have recommendations on specific brands and/or models of gear I should get? I'd like to keep it all under $1000 whether that be a one piece suit and a separate jacket or a two piece setup.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I find a two-piece leather suit much more convenient although I NEVER wear the jacket without the pants. Why wouldn't you want the skin on your legs protected every time you get on the bike? When you stop to take a break, you can take the jacket off and you don't have the top part of the one-piece following you around all the time. :lol

Most track event organizers allow two-piece suits that have a full zipper at the waist. I've been told that the only potential safety issue with a two-piece is that the flap at the end of the jacket over the zipper could turn a slide into a tumble if it happens to catch on something on the road/track. That's a remote enough possibility for me to accept.

Won't comment on specific brands, but you could get a great two-piece suit for under $1000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I get a two piece suit, I may wear the pants most of the time I'm riding, but I imagine there will be a few situations where I don't want to go with the full leather look. I think there are times where some reinforced jeans or jeans and some armor underneath would suffice.

If two piece suits are as safe or nearly as safe as one piece suits, why do so many people go with one piece suits? I don't mean to sound like I am saying you are wrong as I really have no idea and I'd like to believe they are nearly as safe, but I am just curious. Maybe some people who purchased one piece suits can chime in as to why they chose the one piece variety.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
One piece suits are generally cheaper all else being equal. They guy who made my suit charges about $100 more for a two-piece (full waist zipper, elastic top on the pants, and extra flap on the bottom of the jacket to cover the zipper). My order started as a one-piece. I thought about it and changed it to a two-piece after discussing the safety vs. convenience issues with the maker.

I have textile jacket/pants and Draggin (Kevlar reinforced) jeans that I haven't worn since getting the leathers. None of those provide the same level of protection IMO. I do have mesh jacket/pants that I wear when the temps get above about 95. I got maximum perforation on the leather and actually have to wear a wind breaker over it in the winter.

Sorry if this is TMI, but I thought you might want to hear the whole story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Ray. It looks like I'll just have to go check out some dealers and see what I can find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts