Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't done one of these you really should! Best day I have spent in a long long time. Got in a little over two hours of riding on the track total. Weather was amazing, Blackhawk Farms was an awesome track to be on, and the people were great too. Distroyed any trace of chicken strips on my tires within the first 3 sessions of the day (7 total I think). I even got my knee down by the end of the day (which also was an amazing feeling being leaned over that far). I am totally hooked and def. have to go again soon! I had no idea my bike could do the things that it did on saturday.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Judging by the pics it looks like you had fun Andy. I stopped in down there but I didn't see ya. I talked to Mike later on yesterday and he filled me in on his fun filled day, or should I say lack of.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, Mike had some technical difficulties. I wish I could have figured out something that would have worked for all of us. Sadly my '95 nissan isn't exactly an ideal tow vehicle and that messed everything up!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Very cool.

Remember to take it easy on the street with your new found confidence.

I haven't done a track day yet. I'm afraid I'll get addicted. I don't want the road to become boring. The roads around here are already boring enough, ya know?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks awesome! More pics more pics!! Andy, how many bikes were out there racing with you? And what group did they have you in also. Anyway... I was able to get a refund on the trailer so I guess that helps :(

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, definitely will have to keep myself in check around MKE. I plan to limit my exposure to corners by only riding on hwy. 100 from now on. haha. Matt, there were a few guys there on fz1's tearing it up pretty damn good. I think your right about the addiction part, I'm hooked. Seeing what you can do on the street, you would embarrass some people on the track!

Mike, there was a large beginner group about 50 strong. I guess normally it is about 1/2 that. Ran into a couple things that sucked with a larger group. You'd get stuck behind slow packs for a while, but the worst were guys on big displacement bikes who you might be all over in the corners, but would fly by you in the straights, so you were never able to get around them even though you were faster. Towards the end of the day they let you pass on two of the straights, so it was fun setting up the slower guys and flying by them out of corners. Even was able to pull past a few of the liter guys by doing that.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No more pics sadly too. For some odd reason I didn't bring a camera. There was a guy shooting photos who puts the proofs online for you to see, so maybe he caught me. Won't know until July 1st though.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Andy, I just wanted to comment on the pic of your tire...WOW!!! :eek:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rogue6 said:
Matt, there were a few guys there on fz1's tearing it up pretty damn good.
I know a lot of FZ1 guys and girls who can really ride. A lot better than me.

Rogue6 said:
Seeing what you can do on the street, you would embarrass some people on the track!
I don't know about that. But maybe if they'd let me race with my hardbags and luggage on the bike I could spook a few people. lol
See my pics from Deal's Gap a couple weeks ago :D --

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=04RK002Q060203&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=04RK002Q0L0018&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=04RK002Q0L0033&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Oh and if they'd make it a 600 mile race I think I'd do ok hahaha

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
NIce Andy, glad you had fun. Wish I coulda been there but buying a house has all but written off my track days this year :(

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i really want to take some track days, but i don't want to look like a looser.

right now i have a zx7 that i think i'll do okay on as long as I keep the revs up (flat spot below 7k)..

but i'm planning to buy a 02 gsxr1k that has some track goodies on it already.. i'll look like such a poser riding that on the track, getting passed by every decent 600 rider out there.

:(

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I guess I'm an odd duck because I did a track day and found it fun but not that great.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NESBA does offer a totally free trial of track days. You get to do two sessions (40 min) total. That would be more then enough time to get a feel of how much fun it is. You can do this as long as you sign up before other people do and at any track day. Give it a shot! To the zx7 rider too... don't worry about feeling out of place! There are plenty of older bikes there and there are also plenty of slower riders too! You have to start somewhere. There was one guy there on a brand spanking new green zx10r who got yelled at for going about 25 down the main straight! So you would not be the slowest. Trust me, you will be soooo much faster after a bit on the track too.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Rogue6 said:
NESBA does offer a totally free trial of track days. You get to do two sessions (40 min) total. That would be more then enough time to get a feel of how much fun it is. You can do this as long as you sign up before other people do and at any track day. Give it a shot! To the zx7 rider too... don't worry about feeling out of place! There are plenty of older bikes there and there are also plenty of slower riders too! You have to start somewhere. There was one guy there on a brand spanking new green zx10r who got yelled at for going about 25 down the main straight! So you would not be the slowest. Trust me, you will be soooo much faster after a bit on the track too.

I know about the intro sessions, but that would be bad. See, then I would want to stay for the rest of the day because I already know how kick ass it is. I really can't afford it, and I don't have race plastics right now and can't afford those either. Priorities...you know?

Ben, no, not yet, but soon.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Scott, you should just try and pick up a rashed up headlight and tail fairing off ebay. I took my lowers off when I was riding and I'm sure you could pull your hugger too.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's not a bad idea, I do have a connection for an upper and tail...just need a tank, fender and lowers. Problem is money. I can't afford the boots or even the track fees. Not with my priorities now...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts