Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow what a kick ass day. Started out like crap, my zipper on my pants finally blew completely out, (had missed a couple teeth, sewed that part up and it was working fine above that). So I was bummed really wanted to go, called up a woman who had invited me to the track (private) and cried on her shoulder, she basically told me to suck it up put on some shorts and go. Im like but I will go tuesday, no she said, we have such and such from (I dont remember the magazine sorry) here and he is giving a clinic on suspension setup. That was all I needed to hear, So I sewed my Zipper together and Prayed for non bladder fill up day mounted the steed and off I went.
100 mile ride to the track, weather said it might storm so I brought my regular jacket and riding jeans in my backpack. Well that friggin sucked, my back was killing me by the time I got there. Im thinking wow, was this worth it. Lemme just say that YES IT FUCKING A WAS.
So I sat thru the Clinic, heard of the technical Jargin that kind of Reminded me of a hot chick I wanted to nail talking but not sure what she was saying cause I just wanted to ride her. But I tried my best to pay full attention, I retained some (all those blows to the head in my past plus sitting in the heat added up today) the important parts which were basic, trusting your tires, looking thru your corners ect, and how your settings effect your bike.
So I hit the track, and well, got lapped by the girl that Invited me, little embarrassing but hey, first day on the track so IM taking it slow (piss off its my story and IM sticking to it) and and of course I was learning the track.
Very tight technical track, so it was completly different from how I am used to riding. My favorite corners on the street are 90mph or so, these were half that and wow not being used to riding that technical really showed.
I got up to decent speed once I learned the track, I figured I would get chewed out for not riding that great (and I expected it) but I got complimented from a pro rider (so :twofinger to the doubters)for being smooth and picking good lines.
Then I got my suspension dialed in. ANd lemme tell ya, when you hear that dialing in a bike makes a huge difference, WOW does it.
My bike rides totally differnt now, I thought it felt pretty good before, oh hell no, First lap out after dialing it in I was turning wayyy to tight so it took me a couple of laps to really get it down, But wow was it worth it.
Now all you Duc fans will be Heartbroken, but a brand new 1098 got crash tested today. I should have took pictures. but a full faced helmet definatly saved him from some dental work, His gloves were also ground down on the knuckles but no damage to his leathers.
Oh yea and the bike will live, he got lucky, only rashed up his left fairing and broke his mirror and his Shifter. Surprised his fairing made out so well he did not have frame sliders on.
He hit a corner to fast, braked late, and target fixated. (pay attention to those three things new riders who think your not hitting corners fast enough).
I gotta say, was a great day, Happy I went, I almost went golfing instead, think my clubs are going on Ebay, Like taking a hit of crack, The addiction is now upon me.

Attachments

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Hmm...nice story, but...

You never mention the "pro rider's" name...who was it? huh? huh? :p

And the girl...she musta been riding a Honda to pass you that easily, hahaha!!! (just bustin' ya)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That sounds awesome. I'm really hoping that I might be able to get my suspension tuned sometime in the future. Also, I understand that the bike rode well on the track, but how did the changed suspension work out on the street?

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tuned suspension worked out awesome on the ride home. The front fork oil needs changing so it was not Dialing in so well. It became noticeable with the rear dialed in, it honestly rode way smoother comming home too. Waves in the pavement did not effect the bike at all. He did mention when you changed your engine oil you should change your fork oil too.
Really was nice to talk with someone who has been in and around Professional racing his entire life. Pretty interesting.
Shamrock I think the guys first name was Terry, I will find out on my next trip.

Shamrock the Girl was riding a supermoto think it was a yami, she's to stunning to pay any attention to her bike. :D

Adam, The track is IN missoula, so get some full leathers and go with me next time.
your 650 will be right at home there.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What was the track called? I'm wanting to get on their website to check it out.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Awesome, but changing fork oil at the same intervals as engine oil? :confused::2eek

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
Awesome, but changing fork oil at the same intervals as engine oil? :confused::2eek
I think he is just reminding people to change it. I'm sure there are many people here who have several year old bikes that still have stock oil in the forks.

Personally I change mine about once a year.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
The tuned suspension worked out awesome on the ride home. The front fork oil needs changing so it was not Dialing in so well. It became noticeable with the rear dialed in, it honestly rode way smoother comming home too. Waves in the pavement did not effect the bike at all. He did mention when you changed your engine oil you should change your fork oil too.
Really was nice to talk with someone who has been in and around Professional racing his entire life. Pretty interesting.
Shamrock I think the guys first name was Terry, I will find out on my next trip.

Shamrock the Girl was riding a supermoto think it was a yami, she's to stunning to pay any attention to her bike. :D

Adam, The track is IN missoula, so get some full leathers and go with me next time.
your 650 will be right at home there.

maxima's racing fork oil came very highly recommended to me by a top level rider's team. they said it works as well as ohlins and race tech's Ultra slick
the difference is it's about 1/3 the price. it runs about $12 a quart instead of $30.
Maxima Racing Usa - Racing Fork Fluid

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blurr, where is that track in Missoula? You said it's private? Holy crap. I had no idea. What's a guy gotta do to ride there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My reaction too. My jaw dropped when I heard it was in Montana. I've wanted to ride on a track sooo bad.
Yeah, the closest place is/was in Spokane at Spokane Raceway Park. AFAIK it's closed down -- in the midst of financial trouble. Not like I'd actually get over there.

It looks like a cool little track. I did a Google search and found a few videos. I want some instruction/track time so bad. Maybe this will convince my wife to let me buy a new bike?

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blurr, where is that track in Missoula? You said it's private? Holy crap. I had no idea. What's a guy gotta do to ride there?
Not sure all the Specifics but shoot me a PM and Me, You and Adam will take a trip over. The girl who Invited me said it was by Invitation.

Full leathers and of course boots are required.

I will be hitting it again this evening wooo hoooooooo.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
Yeah, it only takes one hit of track to get you hooked but good! Way to go, blur!

Spokane Raceway Park may actually be open again sooner or later. There is a deal pending where the city or county would buy it and operate it as a track. It isn't a done deal, but there are people working on it. I sure hope it happens, since it is a fun track to ride on. There is a hill you come off on the back straight and you wheelie over it if you are going any kind of speed. It is about the only way I ever wheelie anyway, and it is fun. The front straight is plenty long, and the back part is plenty technical, so you get a bit of everything. If it reopens, and you get a chance to ride on it, it is worth the trip.

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have a hill comming off of a corner where we get to wheelie, I will see if someone cant get a video clip of it, man that is a rush, I have wheelied 50+before alot but it was just soo differnt to come off that hill with the front wheel in the ground and the guys next to me front wheel level with my handlebars, Way cool. Plus I didnt expect it at all, when they started I just jumped out and went didnt even see anyone ride the track yet.
If spokane gets its shit together I hope I can go ride with ya that would be a blast.
Maybe we can Get Zoro there and get his track cherry popped too!!!

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
We have a hill comming off of a corner where we get to wheelie, I will see if someone cant get a video clip of it, man that is a rush, I have wheelied 50+before alot but it was just soo differnt to come off that hill with the front wheel in the ground and the guys next to me front wheel level with my handlebars, Way cool. Plus I didnt expect it at all, when they started I just jumped out and went didnt even see anyone ride the track yet.
If spokane gets its shit together I hope I can go ride with ya that would be a blast.
Maybe we can Get Zoro there and get his track cherry popped too!!!
That would be fun! I am working on Zoro- give it time. His Duc needs the track to be complete, and I think he is understanding it, too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts