Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With my new toy I wanna get out and run. And always wanted to drag my knee. I've been looking at the Local MAM Riders school. I Was wondering is it worth it. I don't plan on road racing ( Right now:)) But the class and being able to do track days sounds like fun.
I have enough gear to take the class and track days. But I'm wondering if its worth the trouble of replacing the anti freeze with water exct. Just for an afternoon.
I see allot of track talk I thought I would open the topic up for you guys.

I am going to try to make it to a track day today and pick up some local info and opinions.

Thanks for any input.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
YES, pretty much any track day is worth it.........you'll add yrs to your riiding.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sprninja said:
What track are you planing on Im also from Nebraska and would like to hit the track too. Just curious.
Mid american moto plex. Glenwood Iowa. Every Thursday starts with Riders school and then the track runs from 3:00 till dark. Ive never been there yet. Went once to topeka. was bored to death. It took 5 min for them to make a lap. Then you could not get a good look at them at 100+. The track was just Huge and you could only see a small part.

Check www.midamericamotoplex.com for the calendar. i believe the class is 180-200+ and you can run on thursdays with your cirtifficute. Something I am thinking of for next spring.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Do the trackday, and take the classes/schools. The more intense practice you get in a controlled environment, will save your hide in the uncontrolled ones.

·
Registered
361 Posts
okay. I have a question...

I really want to try track riding, being a street rider, who everytime I go out, I ride harder and harder. so my question is this. I don't own track approved gear (mesh stuff, not leather :bitchslap) and I am afraid that I might not like the track. So my question is this. I am considering doing one of those track schools (there bike, there tires, instructions, critque, etc) I have found you can do classes ranging from $400~$1600.

is it worth the money. Or would I be better suited to just do the Nesba intro and if I like track riding get out there and ride, if not, sit on the bench and watch, sell my bike and buy a gold wing.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Track day is really worth it, you will be able to ride your bike like you should not even try on the streets.

I learned that lesson the hard way. I was riding on my scooter and on a downhill turn catched gravel, and down I went. Since then I ride my bikes "conservatively" on the streets, fortunately, the first trackday in Mexico is in a few days and I'm already in!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
clearwaterms said:
okay. I have a question...

I really want to try track riding, being a street rider, who everytime I go out, I ride harder and harder. so my question is this. I don't own track approved gear (mesh stuff, not leather :bitchslap) and I am afraid that I might not like the track. So my question is this. I am considering doing one of those track schools (there bike, there tires, instructions, critque, etc) I have found you can do classes ranging from $400~$1600.

is it worth the money. Or would I be better suited to just do the Nesba intro and if I like track riding get out there and ride, if not, sit on the bench and watch, sell my bike and buy a gold wing.
i recommend doing a few local trackdays before heading out to the $$ schools.

and you already have the perfect bike for T/D

ask the org. your gonna do the T/D w/ , cuz some are more lienent w/ the "new" track riders on what gear you wear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Trackdays, racing schools, riding schools, etc. they are all great....but be warned, it's just the beginning. Riding on the track is like seeing a woman naked, once you see one...you want to see them all. Welcome to the addiction!

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
mikem317 said:
Some tracks require to have the anti-freeze replaced with water and water-wetter. My local track is very lineant for track days, but if you wanna race then you have to do all the safety wiring and all that crap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A track day is the best investment you can make in your riding ability. It will give you the confidence to push the bike closer to the limit, and to trust your tires in a controlled enviroment. As long as you don't behave like a squid and overestimate your ability, you'll have a ton of fun and get hooked.

The only problem is that track days are kind of a gateway drug...they lead to racing, which leads to poverty. :)

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I always recommend taking courses/ track time. It is definitely worth the hour or so to change out your coolant. Good for your confidence as well as your physical skills.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Track day up date.
Those of you in western IA. Eastern Ne.
August 6, 2005. 9a-5p Mid American Moto Complex Is having an all welcome track day. I need to follow up. 1 source said you do not need the school or MAM Membership. (this is trying to peak interest for it.) 1 Source said we did. About $125.00 for the class that is not given before the track day.

Flyer Reads as follows.:

Track AddiX
Try the track $25.00

What you get:
>Classroom session to learn about track days
>Instructor led track walk to learn about the race track
> a 20 minute session Riding your cycle on the track
> $25.00 coupon for track orientation school
> leathers or special equipment not required.
See www.trackAddix.com/try

Hope this helps some of you out.

P.s. thanks all for your input. i just walked in. ill have to sit down and read through them.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
ooooh twenty minutes on the track, thats like saying heres a beer...i know its only one but i hope it gets you drunk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts