Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is more for Anti- Hero, but I'll take all advice.
What, in your opinion, are the best track day tires?? and Why?? :beer

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
gungho said:
This question is more for Anti- Hero, but I'll take all advice.
What, in your opinion, are the best track day tires?? and Why?? :beer
In my opinion, Metzler Rennsports. I've found they are the best bang for the buck. Light, extreamly grippy, excellent feedback, and they heat up in 1 lap on normal day. If you're not baking them out of and into corners they'll last at least 2, sometimes 3 trackdays.

I just used a set of Pirelli Dragon Slicks at a track day Friday, and they were incredible. But way to expensive for my budget to use often.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anti-Hero said:
In my opinion, Metzler Rennsports. I've found they are the best bang for the buck. Light, extreamly grippy, excellent feedback, and they heat up in 1 lap on normal day. If you're not baking them out of and into corners they'll last at least 2, sometimes 3 trackdays.

I just used a set of Pirelli Dragon Slicks at a track day Friday, and they were incredible. But way to expensive for my budget to use often.
Cool, I'll try those when I get done with the Pilot Powers. The slicks are interesting though, is it a must to do a major tune on the suspension for slicks, I was able to add more compression when I changed from Diablo Corsa's to Pilot Powers. :beer

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tires are a matter of preference.

You might as well ask what brand condom you like better.

It all comes down to a persons feel/feedback from the tires, riding style, and budget. Some tires have a taller profile that gives a quicker turn in speed, some tires warm up faster than others, some tires give more/less feedback before they slip. Get where I'm going with this? In other words, in order to know which ones are the best for "you" is if you ride them out yourself. I personally like the feel of the Metzeler Racetechs, and Supercorsas. (RS1/RS2 or SC1/SC2 combo) they have a rounded profile that fits into my riding, and they heat up pretty good within a few laps.I didn't like the Dunlop 208GPs too much, I didn't feel as confident on the front straights due to their taller profile. I also experienced more shake from the front when I get on the gas coming outta a corner, so I had to adjust the suspension to suit the tire. The pirelli's usually last me about 1~2 trackdays depending on where I'm at.

Michelins are notorious for having a very tall profile, especially their previous pilot race series. They were known to take a longer periods of time to heat up, but once they get warm, they stick like bubble gum. I've heard stories that when they begin to slide, they give little/no feedback so be careful. The power races however, seem like a very good tire that I haven't tried yet. I'll probably pick them up for my next set.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tony824 said:
Tires are a matter of preference.

You might as well ask what brand condom you like better.

It all comes down to a persons feel/feedback from the tires, riding style, and budget. Some tires have a taller profile that gives a quicker turn in speed, some tires warm up faster than others, some tires give more/less feedback before they slip. Get where I'm going with this? In other words, in order to know which ones are the best for "you" is if you ride them out yourself. I personally like the feel of the Metzeler Racetechs, and Supercorsas. (RS1/RS2 or SC1/SC2 combo) they have a rounded profile that fits into my riding, and they heat up pretty good within a few laps.I didn't like the Dunlop 208GPs too much, I didn't feel as confident on the front straights due to their taller profile. I also experienced more shake from the front when I get on the gas coming outta a corner, so I had to adjust the suspension to suit the tire. The pirelli's usually last me about 1~2 trackdays depending on where I'm at.

Michelins are notorious for having a very tall profile, especially their previous pilot race series. They were known to take a longer periods of time to heat up, but once they get warm, they stick like bubble gum. I've heard stories that when they begin to slide, they give little/no feedback so be careful. The power races however, seem like a very good tire that I haven't tried yet. I'll probably pick them up for my next set.
Thanks for the insight!! :beer

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
^^ Exactly ... Tires are totally subjective to the rider. That is why I prefaced my response with "in my opinion." All I have to go on is my experience, and that of others.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anti-Hero said:

I've used the Rennsports before...great tire. I switched to the BT-002 last year. Like the Rennsports, they last for awhile. I managed a race weekend at Summit Point and 2 trackdays at VIR on the same set..... well maybe a trackday and 1/2 after lunch I was sliding all over the place. I'm not a big fan of the Dunlops, they cold tear too much for my taste. I have never had that happen with Rennsports or the BT-002s.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Michelin Pilot Race H2's are the best track tires you can buy...I used to run them on the street, but they take a while to warm up and have limited heat cycles, making them a very bad choice for the street. Now I run Pilot Powers, which SOME people say are bad for the track...I wouldn't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts