Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question about track riding. I have always wanted to try it but never really had the funds/balls to actually get my ass out of the forums and go do it. I am just wondering form those who do ride/race if it is worth the hassle for them. I live in MN so really only have two tracks: Brainered and some local college. I understand the facts and what it takes to get to the track, but just looking for input from people who do this? Do you guys who ride have more tracks then I do? Will only riding maybe 2-times per summer be worth it? What are some of your guys situations?

I had a 2000 ZX6r thart I street rode for a few years, and raced quads and dirtbikes most of my life. I understand my limits so I would be starting out most likely with a SV650 because I can get those for dirt cheap in race form. any in put would be great.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I go back and forth between spending all my time at the track or all my time on the street. The track is a lot more fun but fewer times. The street is a little bit of fun all the time.

I've slacked off on the track because they raised the price one too many times for me to go to the same ol' track every month. (Plus I was constantly buying tires, etc.) So i guess it's not worth the hassle and the cost right now.

However, I just recently watched a CB160 race that looked like a riot and am thinking about dropping some time and effort into that and race on a budget bike.

Your going with an SV650 sounds like a reasonable way to find out if you like it.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Track riding is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I became an addict when I first started doing it. So much so that I had to cut myself off after a year and a half b/c it was becoming more like a drug/alcohol addiction, and I was spending waaay too much money on it.

I'm going again this weekend, but it will be the first time since last April, so I'm doing ok now. :lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also might try to buy a new or slightly used 600, most likely a R6, and use it for both street and track days. woul dthis be a better idea? can a bike be good for both or it is better to do on eor the other?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am just wondering form those who do ride/race if it is worth the hassle for them.
Heck yeah it's worth it. It's not cheap though - I'm fully aware that at any point I might wad up my 600RR and have to declare it a total loss. No issues so far though.

As far as the R6 - what's wrong with your Kawi?

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Book a day with the school in my sig at VIR for 2009.

You will NOT regret it.

You won't need gear or a bike (they supply both) and you will learn SOOOO much.

Then you can decide if you want to take the plunge and get all the crap necessary to do track days on your own.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Book a day with the school in my sig at VIR for 2009.

You will NOT regret it.

You won't need gear or a bike (they supply both) and you will learn SOOOO much.

Then you can decide if you want to take the plunge and get all the crap necessary to do track days on your own.
They really need to have a class closer to Oklahoma...

·
Destiny Calls
502 Posts
Be aware of what your insurance covers before going to the track if you don't have a dedicated track bike. Just a thought.

·
Cage intolerant
446 Posts
I'm not addicted to the track. I can quit any time I want. Really. I can. It's not a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heck yeah it's worth it. It's not cheap though - I'm fully aware that at any point I might wad up my 600RR and have to declare it a total loss. No issues so far though.

As far as the R6 - what's wrong with your Kawi?
I wish I still had it!! it would have been a track whore right now. I sold it to help buy a house and pay off some debt. dumbest thing I ever did, but oh well life goes on.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
+1^^^ Most fun you can have on two wheels... :D

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Well some track riders only have gotten to go once or twice, I have never heard any say it wasnt worth it. Becouse FUCK YEA IT IS!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't go...If you do some bad things can happen...

1. Everything you have ends up on ebay...
2. Everything your friends have ends up on ebay...
3. Houses in your neighborhood get broken into...
4. You get really really thin...
5. You become obsessed with the word Replica..

You will become a Track addict, you will lost friends, family and loved ones but if they don't go to the track then [email protected]%K Them...and years later you find yourself at 40, looking forward to Moto GP 08 for PS3, and telling the young guys at the bike shop that you "used to "

At least that what I hear...:bowdown

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey, another Minnesotan!

Anywho, our two tracks in this state (Brainerd and DCTC) are pretty different.
- BIR does mostly track and racing organizations riding. There are some more informal days, but they're fewer, since it's an actual race track. Overall, it's a pretty... uhh... "exciting" track. Several bails a day are pretty commonplace, and lots of people get in over their heads on the extra-long straightaway.
- DCTC is a fucking hoot. I've been there twice this year, and I'm going to get as many days as I possibly can for next year. It is NOT a race track, and it's NOT for racing. Passing is restricted depending on what class you're in, and they run it very much like a "school" as opposed to a race course. It's a short, tight track, and that makes it a whole heap o' fun!

Lots of guys (mostly racers in the advanced class) bring specialized track bikes to the track days at DCTC. Most of the intermediate and nearly all of the first-timers have standard street bikes. Safety wiring, etc. is not required for the courses, since it's not a competitve event.

And yes, I bought a bike more or less just for the track days I do now. If you check it out, look for the red and silver TT600 and say hi!

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
i'm a track newbie.. i went twice this year and had to lay off for the rest of the summer/fall because i'm a little low on funds.. but over the winter i'm going to do some modification to my motorcycle and get to the track as much as possible... i have 2 tracks that are about 2 hours away from me.. everything else is about 6.... i already have plans to hit about 5 next year not worrying about how far they are..

the first track day to me, was a small decision... i said to myself sure i'll try it out, i'm sure it will be fun from what i've read and a lot of people say you learn a lot for the street" --well i went and i took the ART basic course, and i couldn't get enough and went back 2 weeks later and really fell in love. i want to get a shit beater bike for the street cause riding the street after riding the track isn't what it used to be, sure it's nice to ride and get around but that's all i want to do.. going fast around the twisties isn't as much fun as doing it on the track so i'd rather ride a scooter on the street than my sportbike..

do it at least once to see if you like it or not... depending on track fees/class/rentals of gear it mght cost you 300 bucks or so and it's either "the best 300 bucks you've ever spent to get you involved in this amazing thing" or "so i spent 300 bucks and it wasn't for me"

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
i remember hearing someone say this quote--
'dont take a bike to the track that you cant leave there'

ive done two trackdays...
the picture in my avatar is my second trackday
i also highsided that day lol

but its hella worth it

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
i remember hearing someone say this quote--
'dont take a bike to the track that you cant leave there'

ive done two trackdays...
the picture in my avatar is my second trackday
i also highsided that day lol

but its hella worth it

a decent quote but i don't fully agree with it... track day riding isn't about "racing" or riding as fast as humanly possible... track day riding is about learning how much you can push your bike. some people will push it further and harder than some others. there's no need to ride balls out if you don't feel comfortable with it... there are PLENTY of people that i notice at the track days i've been to go WOT down the straights and don't even hang off the bike in the corners... .that's frustrating to people like me who is trying to move around the track quickly but track day riding to others is just being able to blast it down the straights at whatever speed they can without the worry of cops and knowing that god forbid something goes wrong there are first responders there.

i'll agree with that statement if you're riding the track racing, or practicing to race because sure, there will be times that you'll go down because you're pushing yourself and your motorcycle to the limits and in the process of learning and riding hard, you're going to go down.

my first track day i believe there were zero people who had get off.. i witnessed one guy take a turn too wide in front of me and ride off the track but he stayed on it and got back on and rode away. however, on my second track day i think there were 5 get offs.. 4 of which were in my group, and one guy was airlifted out. i'm 100% all of these mishaps could have been avoided if those riders weren't trying to be Valentino Rossi and concentrated a little more on advancing their skills in a progressive manner. one example is one kid went into the air barrier on a left hander coming off the back straight at pocono east.. he was being evaluated to try and move up to red, probably took the corner way too hot braked too late and lowsided hard into the air barrier.. there's no need for that.. being evauled doesn't mean ride above your head, it means ride your lines as best as YOU can to try to get bumped up.

sorry for the thread jack but lets keep track riding as track riding and balls to the wall racing as just that. being at the track doesn't mean "leave your bike there" it means have a fun day riding your motorcycle safely at the best place you can ride it!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
a decent quote but i don't fully agree with it... track day riding isn't about "racing" or riding as fast as humanly possible... track day riding is about learning how much you can push your bike. some people will push it further and harder than some others. there's no need to ride balls out if you don't feel comfortable with it... there are PLENTY of people that i notice at the track days i've been to go WOT down the straights and don't even hang off the bike in the corners... .that's frustrating to people like me who is trying to move around the track quickly but track day riding to others is just being able to blast it down the straights at whatever speed they can without the worry of cops and knowing that god forbid something goes wrong there are first responders there.

i'll agree with that statement if you're riding the track racing, or practicing to race because sure, there will be times that you'll go down because you're pushing yourself and your motorcycle to the limits and in the process of learning and riding hard, you're going to go down.

my first track day i believe there were zero people who had get off.. i witnessed one guy take a turn too wide in front of me and ride off the track but he stayed on it and got back on and rode away. however, on my second track day i think there were 5 get offs.. 4 of which were in my group, and one guy was airlifted out. i'm 100% all of these mishaps could have been avoided if those riders weren't trying to be Valentino Rossi and concentrated a little more on advancing their skills in a progressive manner. one example is one kid went into the air barrier on a left hander coming off the back straight at pocono east.. he was being evaluated to try and move up to red, probably took the corner way too hot braked too late and lowsided hard into the air barrier.. there's no need for that.. being evauled doesn't mean ride above your head, it means ride your lines as best as YOU can to try to get bumped up.

sorry for the thread jack but lets keep track riding as track riding and balls to the wall racing as just that. being at the track doesn't mean "leave your bike there" it means have a fun day riding your motorcycle safely at the best place you can ride it!

Great post. I agree completely. I'm one of the people who goes just to have fun, not to impress anyone or see if I can exceed my limits and still walk away at the end of the day.

My street bike is my track bike is my commuter bike is my road trip bike.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts