Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a trackday riding school comming up in September, and I am considering doing it, but I am concerned as I have very little experience riding fast. I do most of my riding at most at 75 to 80 on the freeway going to and from work. Rarely have I gone much over this. I have a bit over 1000 miles on this bike and still do not feel that it is like a second skin to me. I am confident in it but still am worried about the speeds that might be required at a track day.
Anyone who has gone, can you keep your own pace? Everything I have seen suggests that it would be a great learning experience.
Help!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Where is the track? I would be interested if its not too far away.
Sorry I cant help on your question. I have never been.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Cavi said:
There is a trackday riding school comming up in September, and I am considering doing it, but I am concerned as I have very little experience riding fast. I do most of my riding at most at 75 to 80 on the freeway going to and from work. Rarely have I gone much over this. I have a bit over 1000 miles on this bike and still do not feel that it is like a second skin to me. I am confident in it but still am worried about the speeds that might be required at a track day.
Anyone who has gone, can you keep your own pace? Everything I have seen suggests that it would be a great learning experience.
Help!!!
I have not been to one, YET. Most of the track school requirements I have read require a certain amout of experience and that you are comfortable with your machine. Take the MSF beginner course then the MSF Experienced rider course. By then you will be ready for a track day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes.. get to a track and explore what your bike can do. You can go your own pace and feel safe...as long as you're in a good school. I've been to a few different track events hosted by different schools- some good, some bad. Since you're a first timer, you should really try and find a school that has a good reputation for quality instruction. Pridmores' schools are awesome(albeit pricey ), and I dunno if they'll be in your area.

http://www.classrides.com/
http://www.starmotorcycle.com/

I have a little over 1K on my bike and I plan to track my bike a couple of times before the season is out

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Do it! You dont have to go fast just have fun. I sold an FZ6 to a lady who took it straight to the local track and had a great time. She wasnt fast and didnt have any experience on a track but she would do it again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cavi said:
Help!!!
Here is a classic and very common misconception, trackdays by their very nature, are some of the safest places to ride a motorcycle at ANY speed.

I have done several, Barber Motorsports in Birmingham Alabama, Talledega GP track in Anniston AL and Jennings GP in Jennings Northwest Florida, and I can tell you, without equivocation, they were the most fun I have ever had on a road bike, and this is coming from an ardent dirtbiker.

The most important thing to remember is this "Ride At Your Own Pace" don't get caught up in the moment and stick to your lines through the corners.

For a first timer, pick the slowest group they have and concentrate on smoothness, it is much better to be slower in and faster out of a corner.

If the track day comes with instructors, latch on to one of them and listen to what they say, they will show you the smoothest and fastest lines through the corners and how to set yourself up for the next one.

By the way, I have gone much much faster on the road then I ever have on a track, as the majority of tracks are not designed for high speeds, rather high corner speeds, that way it comes down to rider skill and not outright bike performance come raceday.

Tell yourself that people are going to come by you (on the straights) and not to panic. Every trackday I have been on has had rules about no overtaking in the corners in the slow group, in the middle group they could only pass on the outside line of a a corner, and the race group had carte blanche to do as they pleased.

An excellent place tp play with your bike and get to learn how it handles when leaned over and how the brakes can be applied going into a corner.

Go for it and enjoy it, however, be careful, as they can become addictive (Skippy is now looking for a trackday bike) :p

Skippy

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
track day

the track is Thunder Hill in Willows, CA. The school is DP, they sound very professional.
Yes I already took the MSF course, and I have ridden for quite some time, however this is my first sportbike, I rode an old honda 500/4 and I also own a Harley sporty(only for a year). But up until this bike most of my riding was just around town, at normal city speeds, this is the first bike I have been running at highway speeds, and I do great, but the track is an extra element of unkown.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
VIR has an open track day July 20'ish...Danville, Virginia. I want to go really bad but don't think I will make it this time. I will be there for the AMA Superbike double header in late august, just as a spectator, of course. I highly recomend it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i never gave it much thought until i read virtualt's post. i think it sounds pretty cool. i'd go for it...also dont discount riding experience from the city riding...

·
Registered
71 Posts
cavi, do it. Like virtualt said, there will/should be seperate sessions for beginners, immediate and advanced. You can tool around until you get comfortable. If its too much, you can always park and ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts