Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm just getting into bikes as i got my first a few weeks ago. i'm just wondering about bikes for track days. would you bring your nice new bike to a track day or would you bring an older beaten up bike. just wondering if you got to the track expecting to crash and ruin a bike or are wrecks at the track about as rare as they are on the street?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
or just buy a set of rashed plastics off ebay and throw them on for TD's.. Might cost you $50 or less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i use my f4i at the track. after my 1st lowside. i ditched the rashed oem plastics & got some race plastics. if i had a choice, i'd get a 250cc 2-stroke for the track.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
backmarkin88 said:
if i had a choice, i'd get a 250cc 2-stroke for the track.

+1. i've actually been pricing them b/c I want one so bad...maybe this winter I'll have enough saved up for it. I would personally get a track bike if I could afford it, but I can't so I throw race plastics on it for the track...

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
MUAHAHAHAHA! You all envy me so much. My track whore isn't exactly a TRUE 250GP, but it's as close as it gets without getting a Yamaha TZ250 or Honda RS250R.

Basically as a first track bike, you can't go wrong with an SV650. HOWEVER, if you are mechanically inclined and feel comfortable tearing into your engine, you can find a nice mid 90's model TZ250 with spares for $4000 no problem. I believe those year models have about 75hp and weigh in at a paltry 220lbs or so (80lbs less than my RS250!). You will never have more fun riding on the track than on a 250GP bike, it's unreal almost!

But if you wanna go the cheap route, buy some used plastics, or spend $500 and get some fiberglass race bodywork. All you need then is a few cans of primer and spray paint, and a creative mind :D

·
Procrastinator
36 Posts
I'd just pick up some race fairings for it...being a newbie it's probably a good idea to get to know some of the finer points of cornering in the best possible conditions, i.e. the track.

If you're lucky like me, you might take your bike for it's first decent ride and get offered some race glass for nothing... :twofinger

·
Registered
20 Posts
ride what u got. just take it easy and ride at your own pace. There's a saying in the paddock about new racers/track riders. You'll probably hear it from someone wiser than you when you go.
"don't impress me with how fast you can go, impress me with patience and stay in one piece"
Odds are you'll never want to ride on the street again anyway....

·
Registered
152 Posts
take your time. and take it from me, watch out for the concrete patching!! that crap might as well be dirt!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If youve got the money to do it, pick up a used race bike... a 600 or 250 2-stroke. Then when you do lay it down, it wont break your heart to see your new bike in pieces. If you dont have the money, just take it easy, and learn to go fast slowly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts