Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine loves motorcycles and really wants one, his dilemma however is that his parents won't let him as long as he is under their roof. So he was planning with another friend to split the cost and go in on a ninja 250 sellin for 1000 cause his friend's parents would let him own a bike. Unfortunatly the guy backed out, and my friend has only around 600 - 700 to work with but nobody to go in with and store the bike. Now this got me thinking, I've kinda wanted something old cheap and beat up that I could do trackdays on and push to and over the limits and not give a crap about crashing. I've been looking at race plastics for my bike, and I can expect to spend around 500 on those, why not split the cost of a cheap bike with my friend? He can ride it whenever, but when I want to do a trackday I can ride it and crash it. I've been looking on ebay for something around 1k, just unsure of what would do the trick, something that is good out of the box, or can be fairly cheap to mod and wont drag hard part easily.
I've been looking at these bikes:
Honda Hawk GT
VFR 500
Old 600
CB-1
Gs500
Ninja 500
Thats all I can really think of right now, any more I should look for?

·
Registered
279 Posts
sv650 put some clip ons set up suspension right and you have a killer bike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but i don't think i'll find a sv650 for $1000.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sounds like your friend needs to deal with his parents himself.......no need to get his ass in deep buy helping him disrespect his parents wishes.

LEAVE it alone.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
My Mom told me the same thing when I was 16 yrs old.. NO bike , no place to live. I did anyway, becasue that's what 16 yr olds do, and I still had a home. Yes, she was pissed for weeks, but realized that I loved the sport and it was better for me to get a high on a bike, then on drugs. My dirt bikes and street bikes were my drug. About buying a track bike, I'd go for the Ninja 500. You can find um all over the place for pretty darn cheap. And it wont break your heart if you wadded it.l

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
not to mention if you dont have the money to buy the bike your self how are you going to fix stuff that breaks at the track like clipons,rear sets, tires, get the picture

·
VTX1300c rider
1,082 Posts
If you share the bike and he totals it will you expect him to give your half of the money back, and if you total it on the track will he expect you to give him his money back, how will you split maint. and repair cost. not to mention the "parent factor" on his end. Sounds like a plan for disaster to me tha could end a friendship also!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, got some good points there. We kinda just threw the idea out yesterday afternoon, and to tell you the truth I've been thinking this idea has more bad than good in it. Espically if his parents found out he would prob be done, not to mention explaining to my mom of why a 3rd motorcycle should go into the garage!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts