Sport Bikes banner

If you could do it over again for your first track bike, would you:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally talked my wife into the idea of letting me get a weekend track bike and racing at some club events like asma .....

since she budgets the money i need some help ......

should i look at buying a used track bike from one of yooz guyz and risk paying for repairs that will be not to far down the line?

OR

should I blow the budget on a newer stock gixxer and convert it myself ( i.e. = con phillbie and tsavo into doing it while i buy the beers and watch) :beer

So what kind of money am I looking at to pass inspection on a convert? on a bike from a club racer and adjusting for my level?

I know that you can easily spend 20k on conversion upgrades - for now i just want to pass inspection and I know its a lot more than slapping some race fairings on a stock gixxer .... just dont know how much more ......

When I was Racing motorcross the #1 rule :

NEVER buy a used dirt bike that was raced ....

I am sure that the rule doesnt apply for sportbikes ...... or at least for you guys ... right?

new username : clueless_poser_racer_wannabe

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
they don't drink too often if ever so FOOD would be better bribary material....
check http://www.wera.com for a selection of used race bikes....kz2zx's bike wouldn't be a bad starter at all....it's definetly cheaper to but a used race bike and set up for you than to convert your street bike to track mode....
20K - you planning on running a Ducati....
i bought "Skittles" and set her for me for 5K with Philbie and Master Pit Bitch's help of course cause i'm not allowed to touch the tools yet.... :neener

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
My opinion doesn't mean much but I'll give it anyways :neener

I would just say don't race a bike you are making payments on because personally I would kick myself in the a$$ if I tossed a bike I didn't own outright.

Oh and don't spend 40hrs painting your race body work like Billy did... Remember it's going to get dirty on the track anyways :eek:nfloor

Have fun racin' man :fiddy

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
Yeah, I do have such a bike. I also am converting a 0-mile '05 636 to track duty.

The R6 cost me about $1100 to convert - I needed springs and valving, being a heavy fat load. It already had race glass, pipe, jetkit, fairing stay, side covers, frame sliders, chain and sprockets (but worn out), rearsets, clipons, brakes, lines, spools, safetywire. I painted it - a serviceable paint job that was easy to repair - since I had to repair the fiberglass I had to strip the paint. I also replaced a lot of hardware that had been lost or broken - right killswitch pod, fairing bolts and grommets, fender nuts and bolts, etc. After maintenance and crash repair, I've put about $1800 in hard parts on the bike since I've owned it.

Just as an aside - don't paint a racebike with Krylon if you expect to crash it. You'll need to chemically strip the paint to repair the 'glass since Krylon gums sandpaper, and I had to strip the Krylon that was on the bike when I bought it.

The 6R has cost me almost $2900 to prep so far - and that's only 'glass, tires, forksprings and valves, rear shock, paint, sidecover, chain, sprocket, sliders, spools, and dyno-break-in. And that's with a sponsorship reducing the costs by 15%. Notice I didn't mention an exhaust pipe, rearsets, clipons, steering damper, and powercommander plus dyno time. These items will cost me about $2200 more if/when I buy them. And count the cost of the bike...

The only common issue with a used race bike is unless it's had the frame straightened since the last crash it has a bent frame, with very few exceptions. Mine's no exception, but it's not dramatically bent, only a little, and you compensate by rear tire alignment. Most racers don't even notice a slightly bent frame. Motors are usually in good shape, beleive it or not.

Carolyn's right - never race a financed bike. I'm really fortunate in that all mine are paid for, but crashing a bike you have to make payments on for the next four years and then pay for repairs on... I'm not keen on the idea of paying for registration/taxes/insurance on a dedicated trackbike ether, just so you might be able to make a claim on it, if the insurance will pay for an on-track incident.

And, you'll never get the money out of a trackbike that you put into it. If you convert a streetbike, keep the street stuff, and put it back on for the sale, then sell the racebike parts separately. If you can, buy the prepped trackbike, and expect to sell it for what you bought it for - I don't expect to see any of the $1800 or so I put in back out of it (actually, I expect to retrieve the $300 for the spare wheels, but that's it).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
:headbang excellent - thanks for the scoop :headbang

I must have read 20K for getting setup for AMA competition or something ... whew - thats a relief .....

So if i can get a track bike for around 4K and put 2K setting it up for my fatass then I'm in the 6K range to get it competative (the bike - not me)

oh wait - Badgixxer is going to raid the fridge at phillbies this weekend so i better add another grand to the food bribing fund ... Thanks MR. :urowned

that money was for my paint job .... guess i will have to go to walmart and get 12 cans of flat black krylon (poor skittles)......

so whats a realistic budget for maintenance for the race season with a few track days mixed in there? tires, oil, brake pads, new underwear, etc.... hopefuilly no major work like faring replacement or blown engines.....

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
az_pyro said:
:headbang excellent - thanks for the scoop :headbang

I must have read 20K for getting setup for AMA competition or something ... whew - thats a relief .....
$20k = $8.7k (new bike) + 8k (forged wheels, race parts & paint) + 3k tires & travel = 1 Superbike/FX season

So if i can get a track bike for around 4K and put 2K setting it up for my fatass then I'm in the 6K range to get it competative (the bike - not me)
Depends on the bike. My R6 is set up for a heavier rider, and I'm asking about $3k.

guess i will have to go to walmart and get 12 cans of flat black krylon (poor skittles)......
12 cans of Krylon at $4/can is $50 bucks. You can get a quart of single-stage enamel for $30 and hardener for $15 more. Borrow a compressor and gun, and your paint won't chip.

so whats a realistic budget for maintenance for the race season with a few track days mixed in there? tires, oil, brake pads, new underwear, etc.... hopefuilly no major work like faring replacement or blown engines.....
Travel & lodging = $190, tires = $320, race entry fees (3 races) = $120 (ASMA) to $195 (CCS), practice day = $75, other consumables (gas, brakes, oil) = $50, food = $25. Total race weekend = ~$770.

In reality, it's less expensive - you use tires for more than one weekend, you can share gas, sleep at the track, spend less on food (no beer...).

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
Swing by Saturday and we'll talk. Lots of questions to be asked and remember, dumb looks are free, and Clay has ALOT of dumb and confused looks to give.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Philbie said:
Swing by Saturday and we'll talk. Lots of questions to be asked and remember, dumb looks are free, and Clay has ALOT of dumb and confused looks to give.
hey i resemble that remark....

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
Direct from Different Strokes, "Wha Chu Tawkin Bout Willis?".

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
az_pyro said:
that money was for my paint job .... guess i will have to go to walmart and get 12 cans of flat black krylon (poor skittles)......
We use to spend about $500-600 every race weekend for just FIR. Most of the cash went to tires and race entries. It would've been cheaper if he didn't enter so many races - he'd kill his set of tires in the 30 min enduro race everytime :bitchslap

The paint job shouldn't cost a whole lot; probably about $50-100 on spray can paint.

This is what my gixxer used to look like when Billy raced it - Matched his Doohan helmet :fiddy
(Photoshop + Rustoleum Spray Cans = 40hrs anal paint job :eek:nfloor )

It's pretty though isn't it :)

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
Ah, Skittles' cousin!

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Skittle's PRETTIER cousin :banana

This thread just made me realize that the only thing my bike is missing in order to race is the plastics and new tires - it still has the safety wire and all :fiddy

Oh yeah that and a competent rider :eek:nfloor

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Carolyn said:
Skittle's PRETTIER cousin :banana
Skittles gay :gheyfight cousin - look at that rainbow paint job....

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
badgixxer said:
Skittles gay :gheyfight cousin - look at that rainbow paint job....
It was made to match the helmet

And I thought it looked pretty cool comin' down the track.

Gay :rolleyes
The gixxer has been mounted by a chick a lot more this month than any guy I know :eek:nfloor

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Carolyn said:
It was made to match the helmet

Gay :bitchslap
The gixxer has been mounted by a chick a lost more this month than any guy I know :eek:nfloor
Doohan rode like he was a lil nancy boy......:gheyfight
and shouldn't you be mounting your guy more than his bike..... :eek:nfloor

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Skittles is way hotter...

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
badgixxer said:
Doohan rode like he was a lil nancy boy......:gheyfight
and shouldn't you be mounting your guy more than his bike..... :eek:nfloor
It's MY bike now, I paid for it fair and square :p
Billy gets his fair share... I'm just not allowed to talk about it :lol

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Carolyn said:
It's MY bike now, I paid for it fair and square :p
Billy gets his fair share... I'm just not allowed to talk about it :lol
are you allowed talk during it.... :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

ok ok i'll stop - i'm just playing with ya - oh wait that's Billy's job....

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Oh I don't care about how Doohan rode... I just think he did a pretty good job matching his race body work to his helmet (Don't mess with a proud wifey damnit :flipa )

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
badgixxer said:
are you allowed talk during it.... :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

ok ok i'll stop - i'm just playing with ya - oh wait that's Billy's job....
I wouldn't really call it talking - more like noises :eek:nfloor

Thread Jack Done - Sorry
Hey Clay, after you take the 636 to the track let me know how you like it... I'm deciding on whether to get a 636 or a new gixxer 6 next.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts