Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike just passed 4000 miles and recently after riding for about a half hour or so the idle RPM goes down to about 500 RPM, it also backfires through the exhaust pipe very loud, not a normal backfire. Runs like shiite. After turning the ignition switch off for a few seconds, all is OK. What gives??

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sounds like many other peoples problems. Taker to the dealer. TPS is the problem.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Backfire happens when unburned gas accumulates in the pipes. When the pipes get hot, it ignites the gas creating secondary combustions. Usually happens during decelleration.

Backfire creates back-pressure, so this might be affecting your idle when no throttle is given where there is not enough exhaust flow, choking the engine.

I see you took your cat out. The catalyctic converter burns un-ignited fuel without combustion. Try putting the catalyctic converter back in and see what happens.

[edit] Then again, it just might be the TPS, since some people have that problem.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Sounds like what happened to mine. Maybe you'll get the check engine light to come on and log a specific fault code. That'll help diagnose the problem. I'd put my money on the TPS, though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What year is your fizzer Ken? Seems that the 2004 model year is the most commonly affected by this problem (TPS).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well..
Here I sit, waiting for the phone to ring.

Dropped the bike off at the Stealership today...
Told them of my "stalling/idle/" (TPS?) problem and the occational stutter of the front brake that I have noticed about 5 times now.. (sort of like the feeling you get when you lock the brakes up on a car with ABS.)

While I was there, the guy took the bike for a 10 minute ride..
When he started it, the idle was all over the place... (great, I am thinking.. it's gonna fail the test with him on it..)

He rode off... When he came back, he said the brakes are fine, what I was feeling was the bumpy pavement and that you will feel that with rough pavement when you apply the brakes...

Thing is, I had this "brake stutter" on a perfectly, newly paved driveway... I am not a moron, what I felt was not the rough road...

Next he says.. He couldn't duplicate the problem with the stall but he believes the only problem I have is that the idle needs to be adjusted and that happens when you install aftermarket exhuast... He turned the idle screw a twist or two and said.. Ok.. you are good to go...

I told him I am not satisfied with that.. I handed him the print out of the NHTSA's web site will all the TPS complaints and told them I want it checked...

So, here I am.. day one, waiting to hear if anything was found...
For some reason, I think they are gonna call and say come get the bike, we don't see any problems...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Follow up to prior post:

YES!!!!!!!

Just heard from dealer... (he's all humble now, before he was kinda talking down to me)

"We are going to replace the TPS.." he says.. "There does seem indeed to be several error codes recorded saying the sensor is bad..." "Multiple failures"

"This is interesting... We never heard of any FZ6 having this problem...
Only a few 2000 Gixxer's had this issue.. This is a new one on us..."

Well.. I should have the bike back next Saturday...
Will keep you posted if the stall problem is now solved..

·
Registered
341 Posts
Finally someone got some resolve over this TPS issue. Good job Hippie.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Now if I could figure out the brake issue...

He says they put a "dial" on the rotor and the brakes are right on...
I know what I felt, (5 times) when stopping at low speed.
The whole bike was stuttering 'til it stopped.

I asked if air in the line would do it, he said no...

·
FastAss
321 Posts
My front brake has been shuttering too. It has been getting worse as the cupping on the front tire gets worse. I'll replace the front tire and see if it resoves the problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice! Yes, it does take a bit to convince them...at least you got them to admit it on the first go. :D

Hippie said:
Follow up to prior post:

YES!!!!!!!

Just heard from dealer... (he's all humble now, before he was kinda talking down to me)

"We are going to replace the TPS.." he says.. "There does seem indeed to be several error codes recorded saying the sensor is bad..." "Multiple failures"

"This is interesting... We never heard of any FZ6 having this problem...
Only a few 2000 Gixxer's had this issue.. This is a new one on us..."

Well.. I should have the bike back next Saturday...
Will keep you posted if the stall problem is now solved..

·
Registered
26 Posts
i,ve had the brake judder a couple of times ,only when going at slower speed,s less than 15 mph,as the bikes only a few weeks old i can,t see the rotors needing lubed where they float although i,ve clocked up over 2000 mls i guess i,ll wait untill it,s 4ooo service which at this rate will be about two week,s away,cant feel anything at the lever end which normally would indicate a warped disc.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
FZSilver said:
Try putting a little WD-40 on the brake floaters. That solved the problem for most people.
And for the non-mechanical minded people (me)
Where is this area you speak of?

avvacuppa said:
i,ve had the brake judder a couple of times ,only when going at slower speed,s less than 15 mph,

Yes, just a slow speed... Has happened 5 times

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hippie said:
And for the non-mechanical minded people (me)
Where is this area you speak of?
The rotor floater is a shiny "button" looking thing -- see white arrow below. You want to get some WD-40 under all of them, and avoid getting any on the shiny outer rim of the rotor where the brake pads pinch.

Edit: FZSilver beats me to it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Is there a recommended technique to get the wd40 in there without getting it on the rotor?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just aim to spray at the edge of the buttons and it will wick itself under. Hold a rag over the rotor to shield it from the overspray. Use sparingly, wipe excess and you're done.

The sky won't fall if you get some on the rotor. Just wipe it off with a clean rag or use disc brake cleaner if you have some. Test the brakes on the way out to make sure they're grabbing as usual.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Thanx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts