Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tire pressure do you fools run? I reduced it last night by half cause I was practicing a few of the black arts in the midnight hour, but the stock pressure seemed a lil high..it was at 41.5 PSI..

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
You should run what the mfg. of your tire recommends.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Fools!!?!! hehehe. 41.5 does seem a little high. Was the tire hot when you checked it?

But what Anti-Hero said. Check the owners manual.

Did you polish those lips yet?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
nope, the tires were ice cold..

those lips will be polished as SOOOONNNN as possible.. i was actually thinking about doing them towards the end of the season b/c i want to be able to put the man hours in to get them as beautiful and shiny as possible..lol.. I may not be able to wait that long though.. I'm *hoping* to get my new IXIL dual underseat system for my anniversary with the g/f, so the anticipation may overtake me and ill polish them sooner. Make no mistake, pics WILL be posted..

·
Registered
548 Posts
I say try them and see what works for you in a target range of what the manufacturer says. I like to keep mine a little soft so it's more stable. My dunlaps say 45 psi......I run 35-36 I think right now.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
njssli22 said:
nope, the tires were ice cold..

those lips will be polished as SOOOONNNN as possible.. i was actually thinking about doing them towards the end of the season b/c i want to be able to put the man hours in to get them as beautiful and shiny as possible..lol.. I may not be able to wait that long though.. I'm *hoping* to get my new IXIL dual underseat system for my anniversary with the g/f, so the anticipation may overtake me and ill polish them sooner. Make no mistake, pics WILL be posted..
Don't forget to have those rims clearcoated after you polish them. Save yourself some aggravation trying to maintain that shine.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I know I will probably get flamed but I have heard form several (more then 3) people to run between 30 and 33. All of there people wore full gear with pucks and had the tires to prove it. You know those little balls of rubber on the very very edge.

I guess that’s what they run on the track and so that’s what they use on the street. The only flaw in that argument I can see is on the track your going to get the tires much hotter on average then the street so 30 on the track is probably 33 or so on the street. I’m sure someone can tell me exactly how much PSI you gain form a cold tire to hot.

Form my personal experience I like the way my bike feels at 33 and 34PSI. It’s just feels smoother or something. I have also been extremely lazy and let my tire pressure get down to like 10 PSI once so low pressure wont kill you (unless if you tire blows form too much heat form side wall flex, That would probably be very bad).

Bottom line IMHO. I really can’t see any danger in running around 30-35 PSI. Try it and see if you like it. The worse thing that could happen is decreased tire life. Like I said my 954 feel great at around 33-34psi but then again I ride with plenty of reserve so make you own judgement.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
Mine are supposed to be 36 in the front and 42 in the rear cold, regardless of the load or type of riding. And I pretty much stick to this, maybe a little less both ways.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
I heard somewhere that it's best if there's a 3 psi difference between cold and hot. haven't tested this yet, though..

·
Registered
85 Posts
My Spd3 came with BT 010s and Triumph recommend 32 / 42. I'll bleed a few psi sometimes to try and spread the contact patch. I'm running same on BT 014s now.

I'd be real reluctant to run much lower. It's not like a car tire with a fat sidewall. I'd guess any squishing or shifting of the profile would make a load more heat than optimum.

But, of course, I'm going senile...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts