Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a head gasket on a 1991 Camry I need to find the best way to get it back with the correct timing.It is apart now so what should I do?Any info would be helpful.Instuction or websites that can help me would be greatly appreciate.

·
Red Dragons
2,887 Posts
There are timing marks on the crank pulley and a hole in the cam gear to line up with a mark on the valve cover.The mark on the crank pulley needs to line up with the mark on the timing belt cover,while the mark on the valve cover should be visible through the little hole in the cam gear.The distributor will only go in one way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.Do I need to be concerned about the #1 piston being all the way up or will the crank mark take it where it is suppost to be?

·
Registered
318 Posts
best way to remove old head gasket material from the block is to use a razor blade. From the head, you need to have it resurfaced anyways, or at least checked to make sure it is flat...take it to a Napa or independent shop that will resurface it. Should cost about $100 for them to grind it down smooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts