Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was looking at the new Chaparral catalog and saw that TourMaster has some new heated gear out known as the "Synergy" series. I did a forum search on here, but didn't find any reviews, likewise with a generic google search.

These garments use "carbon fiber heating elements" similar to the battery powered vest that we read about in the spring. I'm wondering if the current draw on this new technology is low enough to use on the FZ6.

Here is the info on the TourMaster website:
Tour Master :: Synergy Electric Jacket Liner

Here is a vendor selling the things:
Model Details - Synergy Jacket Liner (Black) Heated Underclothing | Helmet Harbor

Looking at the PDF file linked on the helmetharbor page, I see that the current draws are as follows:

Jacket: 76 watts
Vest: 52 watts
Gloves: 24 watts
Pants: 43 watts

https://admin.helmetharbor.com/Uploads/2/Image/Product Detailed Images/Tourmaster/Synergy/Synergy Electrically Heated Riding Apparel Manual2.pdf

Once again, it appears that the meager output of the FZ6 alternator is not enough to power a jacket/pants and my heated grips.... :(

Anyways, these look like nice pieces for a good price if you have a bike that can actually power them.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
jrevans said:
Hey all,

I was looking at the new Chaparral catalog and saw that TourMaster has some new heated gear out known as the "Synergy" series. I did a forum search on here, but didn't find any reviews, likewise with a generic google search.

Once again, it appears that the meager output of the FZ6 alternator is not enough to power a jacket/pants and my heated grips.... :(

Anyways, these look like nice pieces for a good price if you have a bike that can actually power them.

Well you could forego the pants and the jacket alone should keep you warm enough. I only use a vest and that keeps me warm in temps down into the low 40s. If you can keep the core of your body warm, the rest will be too.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
My Widder vest draws 35 watts so these appear to draw more power. I'm thinking about getting some heated gloves so I'll check these out. If they're carbon fibre they must be fast...

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
pelon717 said:
My Widder vest draws 35 watts so these appear to draw more power. I'm thinking about getting some heated gloves so I'll check these out. If they're carbon fibre they must be fast...
fast- yep, they actually add about 10 hp.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
power draw

I was surprised to find out that the power draw was so high for these items, mainly just because there are quite a few self-contained battery powered versions of them out there, like this one:
Amazon.com: Heated Jacket - XL: Sports & Outdoors

It might be worth it to just get a self-contained battery powered jacket and not worry about the effect on the bike's charging system. Besides, I could wear the jacket for other things besides riding the bike.

Hmmm.

My commute is "only" 40 minutes or so each way, so a fully charged jacket should get me back and forth just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts