Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been researching the FZ6 and have a couple questions.

Have any of you done any longer touring type trips on your FZ6? (Like 400-500 mile days)

I've seen some postings here, and most of the reviews I've read, mention the vibrations in the bars, pegs and seat. Is it bad enough to put your hands to sleep on longer freeway rides? I once owned a BMW K100 and it would put my hands to sleep which got annoying and made longer rides more difficult.

I really like the look of the bike and the standard features. The only major gripe seems to be the seat which is a common complaint on many stock motorcycles.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
First, I have taken about a 200 mile trip and only near the end was I starting to get numb for the ride/vibration. It is by far more comfortable than a standard streetbike/crotchrocket style. This comfortability feature is one thing that made me switch from my SV650S to the FZ6. On my old bike, I could barely go 30 mins without something going numb.

Second, I saw an old post about this, thankfully, I still have the web link. Go to: http://www.americanasoftseats.com/PayPAL.htm

They do gel inserts that are supposed to greatly improve comfortability. You will need to send your seat to them. All in all, it should take 1-1.5 weeks to get it back. Please note that I have not done this to my bike, but it is among the many options I am looking into. I believe there are a few posts on this forum with some feedback. I do not recall, but you should be able to find it.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
FZ6Curious said:
Hi,

I've been researching the FZ6 and have a couple questions.

Have any of you done any longer touring type trips on your FZ6? (Like 400-500 mile days)

I've seen some postings here, and most of the reviews I've read, mention the vibrations in the bars, pegs and seat. Is it bad enough to put your hands to sleep on longer freeway rides? I once owned a BMW K100 and it would put my hands to sleep which got annoying and made longer rides more difficult.

I really like the look of the bike and the standard features. The only major gripe seems to be the seat which is a common complaint on many stock motorcycles.

Thanks

I have not had any buzziness in the handlebars, even at 110 mph (indicated). Like you, I once owned a BMW K100RS, so I know what buzzing is/was, although my K bike did not buzz at highway speeds only in the 3-4k rpm range.

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
C.K. said:
First, I have taken about a 200 mile trip and only near the end was I starting to get numb for the ride/vibration. It is by far more comfortable than a standard streetbike/crotchrocket style. This comfortability feature is one thing that made me switch from my SV650S to the FZ6. On my old bike, I could barely go 30 mins without something going numb.

Second, I saw an old post about this, thankfully, I still have the web link. Go to: http://www.americanasoftseats.com/PayPAL.htm

They do gel inserts that are supposed to greatly improve comfortability. You will need to send your seat to them. All in all, it should take 1-1.5 weeks to get it back. Please note that I have not done this to my bike, but it is among the many options I am looking into. I believe there are a few posts on this forum with some feedback. I do not recall, but you should be able to find it.
I am sending my seat to them tomorrow after reading positive feedback about the service and quality. [email protected] American Soft Seats said that the Super Summer Special ends July 30, so if you are going to do it....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've ridden from Raleigh, NC to Washington, DC about 300 miles or so. I think the bike handled the trip great. The seat was fine and the vibes weren't bad at all.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Hey i just had a gel pad installed in my seat. I had a local guy do it. He did good work. The gel pad they used cost $99 + shipping and they did the work for $80 or something like that. It totalled out at 204.00 but i only lost 1/2 day of riding. Now my seat is 3x heaveir than it was before. Ill take pics asap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did a ten day, 3151 mile trip a couple weeks ago on mine.
Yes, after some time, your hand does tend to get sore. Not necessarily because of the buzzing which is really not that bad, it decreases over time, but it's also just the long-term gripping of the handlebar because it's kinda small. This problem is easily solved with a throttle rocker which I have. Helped me tons on the trip because I could stretch my fingers out without letting off the gas.

The seat of course is not the greatest but I have had worse. For me, it's just fine after about 150 miles or so. But, we did at least 300 a day and the most we did in one day was 460. In my case, I got used to it day after day. But, I would definately consider a gel insert or even a softer seat because I'm sure I would have felt better if I had one.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Amita said:
I did a ten day, 3151 mile trip a couple weeks ago on mine.
Yes, after some time, your hand does tend to get sore. Not necessarily because of the buzzing which is really not that bad, it decreases over time, but it's also just the long-term gripping of the handlebar because it's kinda small. This problem is easily solved with a throttle rocker which I have. Helped me tons on the trip because I could stretch my fingers out without letting off the gas.

The seat of course is not the greatest but I have had worse. For me, it's just fine after about 150 miles or so. But, we did at least 300 a day and the most we did in one day was 460. In my case, I got used to it day after day. But, I would definately consider a gel insert or even a softer seat because I'm sure I would have felt better if I had one.
Amita, when are you going to post up pics from your trip, along with possibly a day by day report? It would a great read.

·
Registered
88 Posts
question: are you guys wearing gloves?

I wear full gear (boots, trousers, jacket, buff, gloves, earplugs, helmet) all the time. I never had an issue where my hands become sore. I wear gloves and tend not the hold the bar in a firm grip but just lay my hands on it.

The seat however is a bit hard but you have to stop from time to time, park your bike at a very public spot, sit back and enjoy the view + the interest of people walking by ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Went for a 380 miles trip last week. Went just fine without pain in the ass or the back. Only problem was the pouring rain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
jcaesar625 said:
Amita, when are you going to post up pics from your trip, along with possibly a day by day report? It would a great read.
We are currently working on a day by day ride report to put up on our website along with a bunch of the pictures we took.
We've been busy since we've been back so we're not quite finished yet.
I'll post up a link when we get it done.

And yes, we wear full gear except we just wear jeans, not any particular riding pants or leathers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got back from a 2,000+ mile trip. The longest I did in one day was about 650 miles home on the last day. I really didn't have any trouble with anything except my right wrist was pretty sore the day I got home. I should have tried the throttle rocker.

I did not not notice any buzz in the handlebars, seat or pegs. I did a lot of my cruising at 100-110 mph no problems. I did put a Butt Buffer on my seat. It was just the strap on model. It worked very well on my skinny ass with no fatigue at all. I won't say anything about the comments I got about my strap-on butt buffer.

Overall, my biggest problem was bugs. I had to stop every 150 miles or so and soak and clean the face shield on my helmet. It continually got to the point that I could not see at all. Even though there were no helmet laws in the states I was in, I kept my helmet on all the time even if it was just to keep the bugs off my face. It was suggested that going without might provide an asthetic improvement.

The FZ6 is not a true touring bike but I had no complaints at all. As a sportbike used for touring I thought it was great.

Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Moldmaker said:
I am sending my seat to them tomorrow after reading positive feedback about the service and quality. [email protected] American Soft Seats said that the Super Summer Special ends July 30, so if you are going to do it....
So did you get your seat done yet? How is it? I was thinking about sending my seat in, but was waiting for some feedback.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ive ridden for about 2 hours straight quite a few times before. I have a pretty small ass and I find the seat to be relatively comfortable stock. I ride almost all twisties so I regularly lean all over the seat, so that probably helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts