Sport Bikes banner

Touratech F800 Scrambler

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Rhetorik 
#1 ·
See less See more
#8 ·
Is a "scrambler" another type of bike (like "street fighter" for example)?

#9 ·
It's an older term. Back before there were completely specialized sport bikes, touring bikes, cruisers, and dirtbikes, there were just motorcycles. The difference between a sportbike and a touring bike was handlebars, seat, a bolt-on windshield and a dufflebag and bungees, maybe a b***** gas tank. The difference between a sportbike and a dirtbike was tires, handlebars, and high exhaust pipes, maybe also a skidplate if you were lucky.

Then people started building dirtbikes that were specifically designed for offroading, and the older style dirtbikes that were essentially converted streetbikes were generally then known as "scramblers".

PhilB

#10 · (Edited)
yeah, but as far as i know, it mostly dates back to the BSA Scrambler (maybe it was a triumph, though) from the late 50s/early 60s?

basically a standard with dirtbike tires and that high, horizontally routed side exhaust with heat shields meant for terrorizing the countryside. this might be wrong, but the famous McQueen chase and jump (performed by Steve's fellow partner-in-moto-hooliganism/stunt rider Bud Ekins) is pretty much the iconic use for a scrambler...

edit: ah, i see philB has beaten me to it! feel free to correct me, since i don't think all my facts are right.

edit^2: wow, that is a fucking sweet headlight... any ideas what it is?

#11 ·
:beer Phil & spicy

#13 ·
I said realistically buying. And tbh, I'd probably wouldn't get the S1000 either - I'd get something else of the same class.

And yeah, it's a nice headlight - wayyy better than the usual BMW ugliness

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.