Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday myself and Sandy (kirchnsr) got the opportunity to ride down to Douglassville and meet up with Marco Sanna, director of motorsports activities for the Liberty Bell Motorsports Park. He graciously offered to show us the property and their plans for the upcoming track.

Sandy met me at my house and then we rode down to Douglassville. I’m really not sure how, but the trip down and back were both pretty uneventful, and with no rain. I guess Sandy must have passed off her raincloud to someone else, as rain was forecasted for the day and it actually stopped as soon as she got to my house! We made it to their headquarters just before 1pm. What an easy ride down to LBMP in comparison to NJMP. Both of us looked around and couldn’t really figure out where they were going to be putting the track, as the area didn’t look too large from where we were at (though it is quite deceiving, as we were to see).

Rear of their headquarters

Sandy and the bikes in their parking lot

Marco greeted us outside of the building as we were taking off our gear. We chatted some and then he brought us inside. He showed us the drawings of the track and of the facility amenities, including the campground. The track plans look phenomenal and they have planned a ton of runoff all throughout the track. The track was designed by the professionals at Liberty Bell and had input from experts in both motorcycle and car racing. They also have large earth walls planned surrounding the property to cut down on noise for the neighbors. The campground at the track is a great idea and looks quite lavish, including wireless internet, water, electricity, a store, and shower facilities. Maybe Jo might even consider giving camping a try there?

After looking through the plans a bit at the building, Marco offered to take us on a four wheeler tour of the property. He drove us down to where the four wheelers were, all the while pointing out where things would be once it was built. He started up the three four wheelers and we followed him through the area that the campground would eventually sit, right across the street from the track.

Soon to be an endangered turtle reserve

From there, we rode around the portion of the property where the actual track will be. Currently, it’s mostly woods and farmland. It is quite deceiving just how large the area actually is. Once we started riding through the land, it was quite apparent that there is a lot of land to put this track on. It looks about one hundred times better in person actually looking at the layout of the land and how the track will be placed in relation to it than it does on paper (and that’s saying a lot, since it looks great on paper). It truly looks like this track will be phenomenal. We were both amazed at how awesome this project looks once we got out on the property. There are a lot of elevation changes that look to be quite spectacular once the track is laid. There are technical turns and some high speed sections as well. The surrounding scenery is beautiful and although it’s in a very rural location, it’s close to a lot of major roadways.

Here are some pictures of the land that the track will be placed on. They’re in no particular order and I can’t correlate the pictures to portions of the track because if I tried, I would surely screw it up! The pictures definitely don’t due justice to how it looks in person, particularly the elevations changes.

Marco showing Sandy the track plans while showing us around

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

If all goes as planned, it should be up and running in the spring of 2013. I’m very excited to see the track once it’s actually built and can’t wait for track organizations to book dates. Several track organizations are already making plans with Liberty Bell.

Before leaving, we had to take an obligatory picture of the bikes in front of the Liberty Bell Motorsports Park sign.

Here’s the link to their website: Liberty Bell Motorsports Park

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yea, it'll be nice when that's built. One more nice track around (even if it is nowhere near me) without having to head into The Tollbooth State. Thanks for the tour. I wonder when they break ground...?

Also, the four wheelers look fun.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Thanks for the pics Max. Still sucks I couldn't meet you guys there or after. I hope it gets built and Tony's comes there. Like anyone needs another reason to skip NJ! :D

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Finally, someone else takes the pictures AND posts them! Oh look! I was actually there!

Seriously, though, it was a blast. Marco was a hell of a nice guy. This track is being designed by people who genuinely love everything about motorcycles and know what will make for exciting track riding, not just racing. They're planning the whole facility to be very family and spectator friendly, unlike NJMP. I can't say enough good things about the thought that obviously went into this design. I seriously can't wait to head down hill into turn 1, to a sharp left hander and climb to turn 2 for the first time. It's going to be freaking awesome.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
This is excellent!!! I'm very excited- I mean- leaving my backyard for a track is a chore- but :)neener) this will be closer and easier than Summit/VIR due to having more "local" housing to crash at the night before

these are fun projects- I was glad to get to help build NJMP- so its neat you guys could see the property in advance (putting in a good word for us bike folks!)

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is the same 2.5 hours from my house as NJMP, so it will be nice to have another option. I really wish I had been around to ride Bridgehampton before they turned it into a friggin' golf resort, although I dion't know if they even had such things as public track days back then.

They're planning the whole facility to be very family and spectator friendly, unlike NJMP.
What's family unfriendly about NJMP - were they mean to your kids?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Not yet, they're on the last set of preliminary plans. Expected approval is mid 2012.

As far as NJMP not being kid friendly, I didn't mean that they were against kids, just that this facility is being planned to have things for kids to do right there when they get bored hanging out at the track. Like a swimming pool across the street.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thanks for the posts!

I appreciate any update on Liberty Bell Motorsports Park, and really enjoyed seeing the pictures. That's going to be an awesome track!

I haven't done a track day since 2004, but if this thing gets built, I'm going to have to get back out there, as I doubt I can resist a track that's half an hour from me.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sandy, I took more pictures there on Monday than I have in probably the last 3 months combined. I'm so bad about taking pictures. I'm trying to take more... and your complaining about no one else taking pictures the last few times we went riding didn't go on deaf ears! :eek:nfloor You're definitely right. Marco was a hell of a nice guy and definitely knew what he was talking about.

It's been a few years since I sold my last four wheeler; it was nice to take one out for a ride... even if I spent most of the time squinting to keep the dust out of my eyes. :D

The track is about 1.5-2 hours from my house, which is about half the distance as NJMP and less than half the time once you figure Philly traffic into the equation.

Tony said in another thread that he was in talks with them about setting up track days. We didn't actually ask Marco about them specifically.

Jo, Jamie, you guys are always welcome to stay at my place if you come to LBMP. I know it's not exactly right around the corner, but it's not too far.

The pictures really don't do the place justice. It really should be phenomenal once finished.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
A year is about right... Less than a year-not so much.

You have figure construction slows down in the rainy/snowy season so you get from aprilish to november ish if good work weather then its hit or miss. And thia isnt a turnpike bridge that is out.. its tantamount to an adult amusement park. So insentive to get it done-ea. But they arent paying guys triple time to make it happen overnight.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Very cool - thanks for the pics guys! Been following the up's and down's for Liberty Bell since the start. Can't wait to actually drag a knee across it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts