Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my torque wrenchs from the UK still aren't here so I've had a guy offer to let me use his. He said he's had it for about 30 years or so to torque some bolts on his lawnmowers and he said its been banged around a little bit. Its one of the ones with the needles and was just wondering do the needle type torque wrenchs usually stay correct...

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
never really liked or trusted those type torque wrenches, I only use and fully trust the good ole click style.
+1 :dblthumb

And even the click style need to be recalibrated every so often, but I hate those needle type torque wrenches

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
^

Yep, that's what I've heard. At any rate that old POS will probably get closer than you could guess-timating with a cheater bar.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scott_R6 said:
never really liked or trusted those type torque wrenches, I only use and fully trust the good ole click style.
Well I ordered some good ole click styles but they are coming from the UK and oh lord I'm finding out the hard way of how long it takes to get a bloody small little package from the UK into the USA...I think its on tour of the world. But a needle type will be better then nothing when your front tire has NO tread on it. I gotta install my new tires

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
terrasmak said:
What do you need the torque wrench for , swapping a front tire??? Not really needed
Taking front and rear wheel off to change the tires. Everyone was talking about how much people charge to mount and balance tires so I got everything I need to mount and balance my own tires.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Over here it's like $35 to mount and balance if you bring the wheels to them. That's what I did. But you still need a torque wrench to put the wheels back on. I bet the needle will be plenty close enough..

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I calibrate for a living but here is another thread on the issue, and they should be checked for accuracy every 12-24 months or when dropped. Never use it in CCW unless you have to because every time you use it CCW it messes up your CW measurments. Most come certified from the factory at 3% your click styles usually fall to 6% of reading accuracy in a couple of years. The dial indicating ones hold their accuracy much better.
but the one you are talking about either your shit is going to fall off or you are going to over tighten might as well use a ratchet

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=279605&page=2&pp=15&highlight=torque

go to www.a2la.org and look for a calibration site near you the wrench should only be 5-10 bucks to check out if you dont want a certificate.

or you can ship it to my company :) attn me and Ill hook ya up just for shipping costs if you dont want a cert.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
LittleTex said:
Taking front and rear wheel off to change the tires. Everyone was talking about how much people charge to mount and balance tires so I got everything I need to mount and balance my own tires.
waste of time , pretty much the only thng that ever sees a toque wrench on my bike or car is engine and tranny parts .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts