Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
put that damn torque wrench away! I've always said on threads not to use it and guys seem to ignore my advise and proceed to bust off a plug in their engines. no one seems to understand what it means by snug.
even denso doesn't recommend it. here's their (and mine) way of doing it.

save this picture, print it out, hang it on your garage wall, make a desktop of it, whatever you do use this method and save yourself a trip to the machine shop.
this is also how you should be doing a oil drain plug.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
put that damn torque wrench away! I've always said on threads not to use it and guys seem to ignore my advise and proceed to bust off a plug in their engines. no one seems to understand what it means by snug.
even denso doesn't recommend it. here's their (and mine) way of doing it.

save this picture, print it out, hang it on your garage wall, make a desktop of it, whatever you do use this method and save yourself a trip to the machine shop.
this is also how you should be doing a oil drain plug.

Yep tell that to the numerous stripped threads on the 4.6L ford engine.. because they weren't torqued right (whether too loose or too tight)

Ford Spark Plug Blowout

ask how I know.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well first of all that's ONLY a ford problem due to the plug design. 2 Those don't blow out. The tip breaks off. They're breaking in the head from carbon buildup but most of all, piss poor plug design. Several plug companies have updated plug designs to prevent them from breaking. They were so thin at the end of the thread the plug was actually breaking during install. If not then they broke during removal.

And there is now a anti-seize compound specifically for those plugs. It's not the standard anti-seize.
Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant 77134

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Well first of all that's ONLY a ford problem due to the plug design. 2 Those don't blow out. The tip breaks off. They're breaking in the head from carbon buildup but most of all, piss poor plug design. Several plug companies have updated plug designs to prevent them from breaking. They were so thin at the end of the thread the plug was actually breaking during install. If not then they broke during removal.

And there is now a anti-seize compound specifically for those plugs. It's not the standard anti-seize.
Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant 77134
I had a Honda dealer not tighten down the #1 plug on my F4i all the way and it did blow out. I am cranking down the highway and all of a sudden I thought I was dragging a tree limb under my bike. I had to have the head removed to make the repair. I learned 2 things...

1) never let anyone touch my bike again

2) Always use an accurate torque wrench you know how to set

Reactions: The Predator

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had a Honda dealer not tighten down the #1 plug on my F4i all the way and it did blow out. I am cranking down the highway and all of a sudden I thought I was dragging a tree limb under my bike. I had to have the head removed to make the repair. I learned 2 things...

1) never let anyone touch my bike again

2) Always use an accurate torque wrench you know how to use
fifa^
coming lose is much better than breaking it off. if they did break off I bet they used a torque wrench. and if he did it by feel...please tell everyone you know not to go there.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The biggest issue peeps have with the fitting and re-fitting of spark plugs is when they take em out and then put em back in , then maybe have em out again and then put em same plugs back in again .. and during all this they is worrying about everything they can think of and totally forget to change the crush washer on the spark plug .

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've always hand tightened, then snugged with a ratchet, then an extra 1/4 turn after snug. Every single vehicle that I've ever worked on has been done like that, except my truck. After the amount of money I spent on it, I decided to go by the specs and make sure it was torqued properly. Of course I still did the snug & 1/4 turn, but on a couple the torque wrench was still needed to get the 14 ft/lbs (might have been 12) that was required.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
lol do so many people really have problems installing spark plugs, a 5 year old can do it. There really is no skill involved, just a tiny little bit of common sense which it appears most people are lacking.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
if no torque spec is found/at hand:
take ratchet, tighten to snug. place hand directly over ratchet head, turn it another bit, till ya can't anymore.

This has worked in every engine I have ever worked on. from my VTR250, to my SV650, to my 318s, my 6.5TD, my 7.3, my F4i, my VFR. . .all the exact same method.

Hell my old man used to work with a GM tech who would put spark plugs in with a 3/8 impact. wanna know how many times he had a comeback for blown out/busted plugs? Zero. man just knew what he was doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts