Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
who......me????
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use one of them...they are supposed to improve gas milage...just wondering if they work??

·
Registered
981 Posts
in theory yes theyd work. but on all the car boards ive been on (performanced-based tho...so take that into consideration), have dyoned with and without tham and dont see a difference. so i dunno if the non existant hp-claims affect the milage or not

·
who......me????
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am just curious if they work or not...the 12-15mpg my truck gets sucks compared to the 46-52mpg i get with the bike!!

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I don't know about gas mileage...possibly. But as far as performance goes, they won't make any difference for one reason. The company that sells them implies that the swirl effect will make its way all the way to the combustion chamber, creating a more efficient mixture..this isn't true for one simple reason. Look at your intake. I'm willing to bet it isn't one straight tube from the throttlebody. As soon as that "air vortex" hits the upper intake, it gets completely scattered and broken apart, into the separate cylinder intake runners.... And also, the tornado restricts to create its vortex....so I can easily imagine giving a car a flow-test with the tornado installed, and seeing a loss of airflow in upper rpms compared to a test without the tornado.

The gas mileage claim has its grounds though. If K&N can claim a mileage increase, through more efficient flow THROUGH the filter.... Then tornado can claim a mileage increase for creating more efficient flow between the filter and throttlebody. That much makes sense.

·
Registered
981 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
And also, the tornado restricts to create its vortex....
thats exactly why all of the forced induction crowed disregards any claims made by the tornado. simply doesnt help us in a forced induction car

·
Registered
24 Posts
K&N's increased mileage claims are based on carb'ed cars, not fuel injected vehicles. Minor changes in airflow are picked up by the oxygen sensor & the fuel mixture is trimmed to compensate. But the reduced restriction does free up some HP.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Noltez said:
Minor changes in airflow are picked up by the oxygen sensor & the fuel mixture is trimmed to compensate.
I'm not so sure about that one..... The only reason I say that is because stock O2 sensors are remarkably unsensitive... They basically operate in 3 reading zones...lean, stoich, and rich. They can't pick up minor changes, only major ones.

But again, stock O2's in most cars aren't sensitive enough for such things. To be able to do what you say, it would have to be a wideband O2, which are commonly used in Dyno-Tuning due to their accuracy and sensitivity.

Just some fyi for ya. Not trying to be a douche. :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
The gas mileage claim has its grounds though. If K&N can claim a mileage increase, through more efficient flow THROUGH the filter.... Then tornado can claim a mileage increase for creating more efficient flow between the filter and throttlebody. That much makes sense.
How does it make flow between the two more efficient when you just said that it restricts air flow :confused:?

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Kastivich said:
How does it make flow between the two more efficient when you just said that it restricts air flow :confused:?
Because a vortex has been proven to promote more efficient flow. Now think about it. How is peak gas mileage achieved? By babying it and staying light throttle. At light throttle, the engine demands are such that the tornado COULD promote more efficient airflow because the air doesn't need to be moved in such large volumes as WOT demands....so the vortex effect will actually work and provide SMOOTHER and more consistent airflow.

But at wide open throttle, where engine demands are the greatest, THEN does it become a restriction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts