Sport Bikes banner

Top speed on a honda 929?

49K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  Robbbb 
#1 ·
I'm reposting this in the honda sportbikes thread just incase, so it is technically a repost. Its all good though... :cheers
I topped out my 929 on an empty open stretch of highway yesterday, and it hit 260kph (161mph) at 10500 rpm, and I am pretty sure that was maxed out in 6th... I thought it would get a little higher than that, as it should do about 280 kph (173mph).
I'm no squid, but I wanted to see how much speed I could get out of a mostly bone stock 929. I have a 2 bros slipon, stock gearing, and she has new tires on her... so no real HP modifications. I pretty much don't have to do it on this bike anyways, as I will not be able to ride past its limits on the street.
I had her maxed out for a very limited amount of time, so don't think I am a nut or anything
Question:
What is the average (real world) top speed of the 929's, and not the claimed numbers from honda?

#6 ·
jluu6r said:
my bike has been regeared -1,+2, so i dont know what my top speed is. probably somewhere around 150-155.
I'm not suggesting you go try it on the street, but i bet your bike has a higher top speed with those gears, at the very least, you'll get up to your top speed in much shorter time. You will probably be able to use 6th to get a top speed.

#7 ·
I just went +1 in the back and I don't like it. Front comes up too easy. I may order a new factory size while my chain is still new. The twitchy on off throttle from the EFI is more pronounced now, making the already massive engine breaking of the twin more noticed. Its a small change, but i notice and don't like it.

#10 ·
I saw 172 indicated on my mostly stock (few years ago) 929. Stock gearing and tire size. When I let off the engine still had more to go, had to back off due to a curve in the highwa......I mean closed circut race track.

#11 ·
I had an '01 929RR that I took up to 178, I was obviously in 6th and she had more to go.... had to back it down from there though, ran out of road.

#13 ·
Not sure about that.... obviously, my '04 R1 has more hp, but like I said... I ran out of road on my 929 AND I haven't really tried to top out any of the R1's I've ridden...

I can say though, that I tend to ride my more recent litre bikes at higher speeds for longer periods of time.... I think it's just a matter of developing a comfort level with higher speeds. 150 - 180 mph five years ago felt like light-speed, now it's not that strange of a feeling....

#14 ·
I notice with the stock gearing my 929 will throttle wheelie in first, and it pops up second with just the throttle, but not in second with a full gas tank. It feels real smoothe in the high revs too... very little vibration... this bike likes to be ridden hard. I can say one thing for sure, it has made me a better rider to work my way through the smaller bikes. All too often I hear about a new rider wrecking, or scaring himself out of the sport by buying big high horsepower bikes because they "don't want to trade up" or "they don't fit on a smaller machine"... what a load of BS. I am 6'3'' (but only 165 lbs.) and I fit on practically anything with a bit of effort.

Thanks for the replys guys.
:)

#17 ·
i didn't really NEED the b***** bike. I agree with you though. But, i'm 6' tall, and 230-240 lbs!! a 600 sucks for me on the highway. I had a 750, which i was very very happy with, but i couldn't find another one. So i got my 954. I want to ADD 1 tooth to the front just to reduce the ammnt of accelleration it get's. i just don't need it, you know?

#19 ·
I've hit 160 a couple times on my '03 954...the damn thing was still pullin pretty good for that speed...i just saw some cars commin up about 3 miles away so i had to let off...and i was skeeerd!

#20 ·
I went 168 on my 04 600RR but that was with my 520 kit...i think i went -1 and +1 im not sure...cant remember But i know that the speedo wasnt right.

#22 ·
Got 189 out of my 01 929rr downhill (could feel where it wanted to cut out at 186, but like I said, I was going downhill. Posted on the 929 forum to show how I did it. Got clocked by radar at 168 while indicated 177 on speedo (by a friendly Alaska State Trooper). Bike is stock except with Yoshi slip-on.

#24 ·
mikeydigital said:
Isn't there a "good-guy" manufacturer limit of 300KPH (186MPH)? I think when speeds get that high, there's a fuel cutoff that kicks in and doesn't let you go faster. I'm also pretty sure that the regulator can be removed (for the times you want to get above 186).
On some other bikes I've owned, the speed was limited by a couple things. Bikes have a Throttle Position Sensor and a Gear Position Sensor, and a speedometer. When all these send info to the ECU telling it that 186 is coming, or HP limit is reached in European bikes, these is an automatic ignition retard. There is not stumbling, cutoff, etc...just a smooth end to your speed increase.

With stock gearing and a bolt on, my 929 on a good day, wind at my back and flat stretch would see 176-7 indicated but the R's were 1000 shy of redline. Stock bike will not redline in 6th. 182 is as high as the speedo will go with just the right conditions.(slight downhill...lol)
I geared down -1/F and added a pipe and PC. The bike will now hit the rev limiter pretty easily in 6th at 174-5 indicated. I have a track day coming up in Sept and I am going to put the stock F sprocket back on prior and see if it will hit redline in 6th now with the extra power...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.