Sport Bikes banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Got 189 out of my 01 929rr downhill (could feel where it wanted to cut out at 186, but like I said, I was going downhill. Posted on the 929 forum to show how I did it. Got clocked by radar at 168 while indicated 177 on speedo (by a friendly Alaska State Trooper). Bike is stock except with Yoshi slip-on.

mikeydigital said:
Isn't there a "good-guy" manufacturer limit of 300KPH (186MPH)? I think when speeds get that high, there's a fuel cutoff that kicks in and doesn't let you go faster. I'm also pretty sure that the regulator can be removed (for the times you want to get above 186).
On some other bikes I've owned, the speed was limited by a couple things. Bikes have a Throttle Position Sensor and a Gear Position Sensor, and a speedometer. When all these send info to the ECU telling it that 186 is coming, or HP limit is reached in European bikes, these is an automatic ignition retard. There is not stumbling, cutoff, etc...just a smooth end to your speed increase.

With stock gearing and a bolt on, my 929 on a good day, wind at my back and flat stretch would see 176-7 indicated but the R's were 1000 shy of redline. Stock bike will not redline in 6th. 182 is as high as the speedo will go with just the right conditions.(slight downhill...lol)
I geared down -1/F and added a pipe and PC. The bike will now hit the rev limiter pretty easily in 6th at 174-5 indicated. I have a track day coming up in Sept and I am going to put the stock F sprocket back on prior and see if it will hit redline in 6th now with the extra power...

A riding buddy had his 929 on the dyno at Mid-Ohio a couple years ago. The dyno guys said with the stock gearing it was capable of a maximum 178 mph. You figure wind resitance is going to eat up a few more mph. Sportbike speedometers are notoriously innacurate so I wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to what your indicated speed is.

With stock gearing and an aftermarket full exhaust (D&D), I get 181 on my clock, and not an inch more. 178... 179... 180... 181... 181... 181... 181... 181... 181... better slow down... better slow down... better slow down...

Another night I past a buddy for the first time ever who rides an R1, slowly reeled him in and inched past him at about 176 / 177, more headwind that night. The quick little double-take he did will stick with me forever, priceless.

The perks of working a.m. shifts in Boca and living in Dade.

I got a fairly stock gsxr 1000 with a Yoshi system up to 183 on the clock, but slowed down in traffic, I think it had more. Don't tell the owner of the bike on me though

- WJB

Like the guy before me said, the gauges are way off, my guess is +5mph. At times when I'm cruising around at what my gauge says is 100 I don't feel like I'm passing people as fast as 100mph should be passing them, and I don't think everyone's doing 85 in their hyundai's...

GPS it and hope no one's watching the blips...

- WJB

wjbarton said:
Like the guy before me said, the gauges are way off, my guess is +5mph. At times when I'm cruising around at what my gauge says is 100 I don't feel like I'm passing people as fast as 100mph should be passing them, and I don't think everyone's doing 85 in their hyundai's...

GPS it and hope no one's watching the blips...

- WJB
I could so see some one at nasa watching the radars and scratching there a$$ at 3am and all of a sudden there is a blip on the radar and it is accelerating quickly so he watches for a second then calls up local athoritys. Meanwhile the biker makes it home okay loads gps info onto computer and sits back and admire his 200mph run down that empty stretch of freeway and knock knock on his door it's the police.

A gps is what I am going to use when I max out my 900rr I hope to hit close to 190 maybe more but I also have alot done to it.

it has a been a long time since i have been on this site. since then i have hit 175 mph on GPS with 929 and blown my engine and rebuilt it, etc, etc, etc. anyways, i have maxed out my geared up 929 in 6th gear and then some thanx to my nitrous kit, etc. you can't put a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket on a stock swingarm 929 because the sprocket will hit the swingarm. japanese engineering :rolleyes so i geared the stock rear sprocket down to the smallest available size which is a 40 tooth rear sprocket. when i did my top speed run which i got on video i sprayed a 40 shot of nitrous in 6th gear. i was using the stock wheelbase with no steering dampner. in fact the only mods i had done to the bike other than the NOS dry nitrous kit was the erion race slip on muffler and the power commander 3R. i even had the stock air filter in the bike. the nitrous kit adds major power though and the stock iridium spark plugs don't like it as they melt down rather quickly despite the use of 100 octane race gas and dyno chasis tuning with the proper timing and air-fuel ratios, etc. my bike dyno'd 169 rwhp and 92 rwtq sprayin the 40 shot in 4th gear. as you can see from my dyno sheet below my A/F ratio was good. when you spray 6th gear you are on the bottle for alot longer period of time than 4th gear and the aero dynamic resistance that you and your bike encounter are way more of a load on the engine as my #2 cylinder found out the hard way. the electrode on my stock iridium plugs melted and i burned a hole in my #2 piston about the size of a nickel at 175 mph on GPS. when the motor let go it felt like i blew the rings out of all 4 cylinders as i could literally hear and feel the engine pop like a balloon. i got out of my tuck at 150 mph and looked back behind me as i saw a giant cloud of blue oil smoke blowing out my exhaust pipe.

according to my calculations i had the gearing to go 185 mph on GPS in 6th gear spinnin 12,000 rpms. i was at approximatley 11,500 rpm's when i blew my engine. i weigh in at 220 lbs with gear on so that made the strain on my engine even worse. i was doin 175 mph on GPS and because my bike was geared up my speedo just happened to be reading accurately then. with the stock gearing my speedo would have read an indicated 190 mph at that velocity. since then i had the motor rebuilt with JE 12.5:1 forged pistons. also i have now stretched my bike 5 inches and lowered the bike 1.5 inches thanx to my track dynamics extended swingarm, etc. i run the stock CBR-900 spark plugs in my bike now because they are not iridium and have a way thicker electrode which is better for the juice. i also backed my nitrous down to a 35 shot. i run 100 octane on the street now and 110 octane when i spray. i will post a pic of my holed piston one of these days. i have included a pic here that was taken at my local dragstrip back when my bike was bone stock. :beer

I'm reposting this in the honda sportbikes thread just incase, so it is technically a repost. Its all good though... :cheers
I topped out my 929 on an empty open stretch of highway yesterday, and it hit 260kph (161mph) at 10500 rpm, and I am pretty sure that was maxed out in 6th... I thought it would get a little higher than that, as it should do about 280 kph (173mph).
I'm no squid, but I wanted to see how much speed I could get out of a mostly bone stock 929. I have a 2 bros slipon, stock gearing, and she has new tires on her... so no real HP modifications. I pretty much don't have to do it on this bike anyways, as I will not be able to ride past its limits on the street.
I had her maxed out for a very limited amount of time, so don't think I am a nut or anything
Question:
What is the average (real world) top speed of the 929's, and not the claimed numbers from honda?
In Canada, all bikes after a certain year, top out at 299kms, if the have the power. My 2000 CBR929RR hit that at 12300 rpm.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.