Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
that was pretty good. it's funny to hear the British talk about America that way.

Watching that car take those corners was awesome, and i think that for 40-50K that is a kick ass sports car. they compared it to a TVR350 (i think, never seen that before) a porsche 911 and an NSX. i think all those cars are more expensive than the vette. And it looked like it turned a faster lap time than a Porsche GT3. :eek:

i think the kid loved it, but that old brit needs a kick in the arse, lemme get my cowboy boots on! :twofinger

i don't really own a pair of cowboy boots...

·
Registered
223 Posts
that old brit needs a kick in the arse, lemme get my cowboy boots on!
HAHA Jeremy Clarkeson, hes a funny guy, very sarcastic, but funny. :lol

Car looked nice, but the flexy bodywork isn't too encouraging.

Was funny the comment he made about the government :lol

Cheers for the link, thats my favourite show over here, i must have missed that episode. :leghump

·
Registered
654 Posts
he was driving that car like a pussy, since all the cars were pretty much double the price it would only be fair to send the car to LPE (Lingenfelter) to get it in the same price class

·
Registered
19 Posts
his review was kind of harsh, but he made pretty good points..the part where he put the pebble on the road and ran over it was hilarious.......the drag race looked like bullshit though, since he seemed to get a lot of wheelspin on the launch.

of course, im partial to the corvette anyway, so what do i know?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DazzaP said:
Car looked nice, but the flexy bodywork isn't too encouraging.
the flexy bodywork was done to pass the new EURO bumper regulations to prevent injury to pedestrians...... :lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow, weird regulations dude, over here they tried to ban bull bars on SUV's and jeeps to reduce injury on impact. Didn't pass though.

he was driving that car like a pussy
Wasn't he running it off the track at most of the corners? I suppose he didn't want to ruin a test car. The Stig is a great driver though, although i question his taste in music :lol

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Leaf springs? Huh? What? How did I miss this? I coulda sworn the C6 was fully independent rear suspension, with magnetic ride control.. Unless the ride control is only in the front.

Leaf spring suspension? BS, I have to see it for myself before I believe it. I'm having a somewhat hard time believing the car is even solid axle, although I imagine its possible. Just that Mustang has already done away with it in the Cobras.

EDIT: I just read it... My god...they're right. :eek:

"Enhanced structure, all-new suspension
While the foundation has been enhanced, every suspension component that attaches to it has been changed – none of the suspension bits have been carried over from C5. The short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension design remains, but the control arms, springs, dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars, and steering gear are completely redesigned. The Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) are also new, taking advantage of the latest compound technology for run-flat capabilities, and play a critical role in the tuning of the suspension for maximum handling and a comfortable ride." Source:http://www.corvettequote.com/2005_c6_corvette/C6-Chassis.html

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The Bull Bar ban passed in the EU I believe, and the passenger safety deal is also EU-wide, although SUVs are exempt of course (for no reason). I don't believe that companies achieve this by making bodywork flexy so much as they increase the amount of space between the engine and the hood typically, while also keeping hoods fairly low. There's no reason the bodywork has to be flexy to pass the standards. Most importantly, it's fiberglass. Fiberglass flexes. Simple.

If I remember right from the World Health Organizations recent figures, vehicles hitting pedestrians is the #1 traff-related cause of death in the world. So this is not something silly that the EU is doing but rather it makes sense. Third world nations are by far the worst off and all of their cars of course trickle down from industrialized nations, so this should help immensely in the long-run.

PS - What happened to Tiff Needles? That guy friggin rocked.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I got hit by two cars on the highway, and I'm still here...

Does anyone remember that article in C&D a while back where they photoshopped a couple of nice euro cars to what they would have to look like if those regulations passed? Interesting read...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
twill said:
his review was kind of harsh, but he made pretty good points..the part where he put the pebble on the road and ran over it was hilarious.......the drag race looked like bullshit though, since he seemed to get a lot of wheelspin on the launch.

of course, im partial to the corvette anyway, so what do i know?
Exactly! Invest enough money in the right places to bring it into the same price range as the competition, then let's talk!

Plus the Corvette is built in the US.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
Leaf springs? Huh? What? How did I miss this? I coulda sworn the C6 was fully independent rear suspension, with magnetic ride control.. Unless the ride control is only in the front.

Leaf spring suspension? BS, I have to see it for myself before I believe it. I'm having a somewhat hard time believing the car is even solid axle, although I imagine its possible. Just that Mustang has already done away with it in the Cobras.

EDIT: I just read it... My god...they're right. :eek:

"Enhanced structure, all-new suspension
While the foundation has been enhanced, every suspension component that attaches to it has been changed – none of the suspension bits have been carried over from C5. The short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension design remains, but the control arms, springs, dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars, and steering gear are completely redesigned. The Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) are also new, taking advantage of the latest compound technology for run-flat capabilities, and play a critical role in the tuning of the suspension for maximum handling and a comfortable ride." Source:http://www.corvettequote.com/2005_c6_corvette/C6-Chassis.html

Vettes have had leaf springs in back for many years!

The difference is it's just one!

Mounted crosswise! It works quite well I'd say.

And yes it is fully independently suspended. Not a solid axel. It has a rear end similar to a Jags except its a American made IRS. Been like that since 67.
12 Bolt center section with U-joint flanges on the side of the "Pumkin"

Its a freaky setup but must be pretty good since it does kick ass where it counts.

The spring is also not steel! LOL If I recall its a composit of sorts!

I had a 92 convertable and it was one badass car for its day. I imagaine the new ones really kick some but. Especially when it comes to the all important Bang for the Buck!

Jeremy is a fatt puss. The Stig Rocks! But none of them can touch Tiff Needel :twofinger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts