Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I admit it. I'm a wheelie-holic. I'd practice wheelies on my bicycle, but I've been absolutely addicted to them since discovering an engine's anti-gravity effects on a dirt bike's front tire when I was 12 and abusing my amazingly durable Suzuki DS80 on the Canadian prairie.

So, you're brave and imprudent enough to challenge your moto skills with wheelies. But which motorcycle should you choose? What follows are 10 of my favorites.

More: Top 10 Motorcycles For Wheelies on Motorcycle.com

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I thought for sure my ZX10 would be on there. :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
I thought for sure my ZX10 would be on there. :(
Oh ZX10s will certainly wheelie if the rider is so inclined.

I had a Ducati Monster at one time. Now that was a wheelie machine. It would wheelie when you weren't even expecting it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Not sure we are barking up the right tree here.
How to Convert Horsepower to Lift | eHow
{snipped}
"Horsepower was originally though of in terms of lift. The idea was based on the amount of weight, in pounds, that a horse could raise (with the assistance of a pole to apply torque). To make horsepower a true unit of power, though, you need to take a measurement not just of weight and how high the weight is lifted, but of the period of time it takes to lift it. One horsepower has the value of raising 550 lbs, in one second, one full foot."

Without running the calculator in a window (very rough figures) most motorcycles weigh about 550 pounds. Roughly. Not sure what the average is or if it even matters. Add a rider, in gear @200 pounds or so and we are up to a rough 750 pounds. So 1 horsepower will lift the front about 9 inches in a second. ONE HORSEPOWER.
I think we can agree that modern motorcycles have more then one horsepower. 'ell even non-modern Harlies and Ducs have more then one horsepower.:meangreen

So it should be obvious that it isn't a horsepower shortage that prevents wheelies.
Let me back up a tad.....What is a wheelie? Is there a minimum? For me a wheelie is when I no longer have road input through the front end. You can feel the front as it loses contact with the ground. I have no idea if that happens at 16 inches or 1/16th of an inch.
It ain't the ride, it's the rider.:urowned

If you are uncomfortable on just your back tire, kewl. Do your thing and leave those of us that grew up on one wheel alone.
In my late teens I rode trials. Not sure if they even do that anymore. I knew it was not my thing when the guy in front of me rode his bike up on top of a foot wide log (with bark) stopped, turned and rode the length(10 or 12 feet) of the log before dropping off and continuing the course. Without touching the ground or log or dropping his front tire. I saw no point in wasting my time on something i would never be any good at.:afraid

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Oh ZX10s will certainly wheelie if the rider is so inclined.

I had a Ducati Monster at one time. Now that was a wheelie machine. It would wheelie when you weren't even expecting it.

Oh trust me, I know my 10 will wheelie. Damn front wheel will lift off the ground in 3rd gear at 70 with just gas. That's why I was surprised it wasn't on the list.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
And yet you're still posting...

KeS
Just waiting to see how long you stay off a bike. I think the over/under is 6 months. I have 87 days in the pool.
Here is something to think about;

I prefer the Johnny Pinkfinger remix but for some reason youtube won't cough it up anymore. I chipped it for those long slab rides but I have no idea how to get it off my dumb phone to this site.:bored

·
Registered
465 Posts
Oh trust me, I know my 10 will wheelie. Damn front wheel will lift off the ground in 3rd gear at 70 with just gas. That's why I was surprised it wasn't on the list.

That's the thing. Like someone else said, any liter bike will wheelie. But it takes considerable input from the rider.

What makes bikes like the Monster get on the list is that you're just getting on it, coming over a rise, not necessarily trying to wheelie and boom it just does it on its own. Or leaving out from a stoplight you get on it and pop the clutch a little too quick and that front wheel is in the air.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
What makes bikes like the Monster get on the list is that you're just getting on it, coming over a rise, not necessarily trying to wheelie and boom it just does it on its own. Or leaving out from a stoplight you get on it and pop the clutch a little too quick and that front wheel is in the air.
Sounds like you're describing my 10R. And as a a comparo, I've ridden my friend's 13 Tuono and my 10 rides wheelies just as well as his Tuono.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds like you're describing my 10R. And as a a comparo, I've ridden my friend's 13 Tuono and my 10 rides wheelies just as well as his Tuono.
I have had three 10s and ridden ~50k miles on them and I don't feel like they wheelie as easily as my monster did. I generally just power wheelie but I've got to crack the throttle pretty hard with intentions to wheelie for it to happen. I've never had it accidentally wheelie just under normal hard riding.

I've never ridden a tuono. Maybe you just like to wheelie more?

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I once asked my insurer why my liter sport bike was so gosh-awfully expensive to insure. I was told the average life span of a liter sport bike can be measured in weeks without the use of double digits.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I once asked my insurer why my liter sport bike was so gosh-awfully expensive to insure. I was told the average life span of a liter sport bike can be measured in weeks without the use of double digits.
It can't be that bad. Geez, my 07 zx10 has over 40k miles.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I have had three 10s and ridden ~50k miles on them and I don't feel like they wheelie as easily as my monster did. I generally just power wheelie but I've got to crack the throttle pretty hard with intentions to wheelie for it to happen. I've never had it accidentally wheelie just under normal hard riding.

I've never ridden a tuono. Maybe you just like to wheelie more?

What year were your other two 10R's? I know the second gen 10R is a heavier bike than the first gens and if memory serves me correct I think Kawi even distributed some more weight to the front of the second gens for better handling.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
It can't be that bad. Geez, my 07 zx10 has over 40k miles.
My initial quote on the sport bike of an insurer who'd covered me for decades was in the thousands. I was paying less than one hundred for my previous non sport bike. They do this for a reason, insurers don't operate in a vacuum. You and I are sufficiently level headed to keep our bikes in one piece, but I suspect we are the outliers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts